- Whiskybase ID
- Blended Malt
- Douglas Laing (DL)
- Bottling serie
- Small Batch
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 200 ml
- Added on
- 06 Jul 2012 8:44 am
6 × in wishlist
36 × member ratings
110 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Big Peat DL
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.41 points
- Lacks the warmth of a quality peat
- Better than my last pin, surely a different batch. Still lacking in complexity. A dram between friends.
Metallic peat, a little barbecue meat and some candied fruit.
Very light / watery attack. Fine peat with notes of fruit, mushrooms and leather.
Nice length, on metallic peat, leather and chocolate.
- Let's start by tasting this whiskey.
Step 1 the right glass. Check!
Step 2 smell.
I smell something salty like before. It reminds me of the sea. A salty scent. Then a hint of peat is added. And then again marine life. Oysters!
Taste step 3.
I take a sip and let him roll through my mouth and BAM! What a whiskey! A big peat cloud bursts into my mouth.
He reminds me of a campfire on a beach. You taste the sea. But also the taste of a burnt-out piece of wood enters your mouth. An ash-like flavor mixed with peat. As if you were drinking an extinguished fire on a warm summer evening on the beach. Strangely enough, it tastes great.
I take another sip and go for the final step.
A smoky taste remains in my mouth for a long time. A warm finish but dry in the mouth with what it seems a bit spicy.
Even later when I have my mouth for a moment, the taste of big peat reappears.
What a choice this whiskey has been! Every sip is enjoying again.
Delicious! You smell and taste the salty of the sea. Also a crustacean like odor. Smoke. Peat. Delicious! Highly recommended.
- N: Rubber every time and i like it, along with pineapple cubes. The peat swings between coastal and farmyard which is unusual as its normally one or t’other. Ginger snaps, oil paint, turpentine, ‘Vienetta’ ice-cream, fruits - dried papaya, custard pear, rainier cherries, sour cream, the peat again is, in-between medicinal and mechanical but with heaps of dairy farm. Very nice
T: Young spirit led followed by peat which becomes creamy. Plastic notes
F: sweet, peaty, marijuana finish along with salty cockles
C: Nicely produced but not that overly memorable.
Scores a B-
FURTHER INFO: This bottle was leaking on delivery and had been doing so for some time as the label and box were mouldy too. It seems the plastic screw cap wasn’t sufficient. Apparently this has been happening for years - See this entry from 07/01/2011. No response from WE customer services.
- Fantastic Islay experience. Great balance of smoke and sweetness.
Earthy, mossy and briney. That smoked kipper quality. Some ripe fruits lurk.
The smoke coats and fills the mouth. A decent oak roasted salmon oiliness. Leaves a little salt as well.
Long with plenty of smoke and sweet honey.