Ardbeg Uigeadail

Strength
5010494220278
21 Aug 2007 7:35 pm

Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg Uigeadail

252 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.93 points

[March, 2017]  When Uigeadail was released back in 2003 I found this a great dram and scored it 91 points.  It was simply delicious: very complex in its flavours and aromas and nicely balanced.  So I bought several bottles...

Almost 15 years later I tried a recent edition of Uigeadail and I am totally disappointed.  This is not the Uigeadail I adored.  This is simply weakish, unbalanced and hot stuff with a drying/bitter finish (I guess they use virgin oak in the actual recipe - back in 2003 they would have thrown you out of the distillery if you had proposed such a change, for sure).

So, unfortunately I have to degrade my scoring from 91 points (2003) to not more than 82 points today.

2. Pollenflug scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Conclusion and pictures on: https://tomtrinkt.de
      Heavy smoke (campfire, ash and tar) and a light ocean breeze take over the command immediately. The aromatic intensity is always impressive. The high alcohol content (54.2%) initially stings slightly in the nose. After about 30 minutes breathing the nosing is more pleasing. Sweet fruit notes penetrate the dominant smoke after a few minutes. Vanilla, salty caramel sweets, lemon rub, hints of red fruit, tobacco and freshly ground pepper follow. The longer the malt can breathe, the more harmonious and pleasant the nose becomes.
    • Taste
      Welcome to Islay! At the first sip, a ruthless pepperiness for a moment maltreats my tongue tip, while my entire mouth is flooded with sweet smoke. The wonderful smoke is a powerful mixture of campfire, tar and a little bit of ash. The texture is pleasantly oily, near creamy / buttery. The alcohol is better integrated for my feeling than was the case with the Nosing. The sweet fruit flavors are now gaining more and more strength and refine the taste experience with beautiful vanilla notes and salty caramel. Red fruits, oranges, lemon rubbed, dark chocolate, hints of nuts and plenty of herbs and oak follow. Intensive, multi-layered and well-balanced.
      Long, smoky-sweet and warm. Furthermore, it smokes on all corners and ends, fresh fruits and a nice residual sweetness accompany the finish. Grapefruit (slightly acidic impact), lemons, vanilla and dark chocolate are present. Herbs and spicy oak provide a minimal bitter and dry finish on the palate.

3. waal scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

First impression / color / viscosity: Yes, a classic - only the packaging and marketing Blah blah on it enchant me. Of course, the first impression is due to the smoke. Color: saffron / viscosity: very oily run-off Aroma / Nose feeling: Pleasant feeling at the first Verriechen, only light alcoholic stinging (passes). Pleasant smoke that reminds me of a burnt camp fire. Such a campfire on which you sat all night and the next morning even smells like the ashes. Slightly grassy and already very sweet when I smelt, I would also describe the malt. Over time, caramelized lemon peels that blend in harmoniously. Taste / mouthfeel: This sweetness, this freshness, this citrus note - I just love it. At the beginning, the scotch tingles on the tip of the tongue and the oak turns the pepper mill on the inside of the cheeks. As a result, I notice the stunningly chocolaty, creamy mouthfeel with the ubiquitous smoke and superbly incorporated alcohol. With water, the single malt is a perfect treat. Round and sweet, slightly spicy with green wood, vanilla and nut cream. In addition, unripe peach and green grapes and their seeds. Except for the Octomore OBA I could not find this purity, balance and perfection in any other smoker (heavily peated, without majority ex-Sherry Fassreifung). Sure, there are plenty of other good smokers but as here, in the way no one else came into the glass. Finish / aftertaste / Length: A long, sweet finish, which is characterized by the pleasant smoke. The finish also reflects floral and especially refreshing aromas. The Nachschmecken is minimal bitter and a bit sour. I feel like spending a long evening in a smoky bar. Overall impression / comment: I have to admit that I'm not objective here - I just love this malt and all the trappings around it. I even like the progressive marketing of Ardbeg, as it obviously is marketing and I do not have to feel kidding as a customer (in contrast, I hate "back-end marketing"). Well at least regarding flavors / taste: For me (!) This is the best single malt Scotch, which is constantly available and still priced in the (subjectively) affordable framework holds. At least from those I've tasted so far ... Points: 95/100; By the way, the original from 2003 (bottled) got one more point with me ...

4. erwinnlim scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

My second bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail (bot. 2019) and I must say the quality has declined. Not an inherently bad whisky, just very imbalanced
      Not as peaty as expected, and the alcohol burn is more significant. Still some sweet dark fruits but not as much as before.
    • Taste
      Silky and mouth coating texture. Very oily but instantly the tannins hit. Bitter and mouth drying, overly so. Some sweetness and brine characteristics but then bitterness takes over.
      More ashy soot here. Medium in length and bitterness of dark roasted coffee continues.

5. Thorstii scored this whisky 88 points Member Senior

WhiskyBase#006:ARDBEG_UIGEADAIL[March 2020]-98/100-

Oh, Ardbeg. So far, this is my favorite Islay single malt, which is not limited and is in Ardbeg's core range. I call him Mr. Elegant from Ardbeg. The TEN scored an impressive 86 points and that's even more amazing! The nose is less peaty and phenolic than the TEN, but you can smell the strength of Islay in it and the typical Ardbeg sweetness. The sherry makes it very smooth and I get a hint of vanilla. The alcohol is well integrated in the nose with over 54%. I don't dilute it with water at all. Beautiful peat, oak and spices come through on the palate. For me it is very balanced. The tongue tingles because of the strong alcohol. The finish is long and strong. Dark chocolate, oak and spices remain until the end. At the third sip, my mouth is completely anesthetized, but that gives me the extra kick I really like here. For me, the overall package is just right here. If you liked the TEN and are open-minded to a little more sweetness and alcohol, give it a try.

6. Thermidor scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I just tried four different Uigeadails (2008, 2011, 2012, and 2016) together and from the comparison it was obvious that this product is on a roughly linear downward trajectory. 2008 was the sherriest, meatiest, and heaviest. 2011 still had many similar things going on, but 2012 was already a deviation with very much reduced sherry sweetness and heavy herbal salts note on top of everything. Compared to the three older ones, the 2016 was a pitiable bottle of almost-new make with yeastiness that couldn't be found from the other ones. I scored the 2008 88 pts., the 2011 87, the 2012 86, and the 2016 84.

7. Stanzeflasche scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

The nose is a perfect balance between peat, sherry, smoke and iodine. We smell soot from a wood fire in the countryside, we almost hear the logs crack. There is something honeyed too, salty, slightly tart, is it a hint of lemon? The dried sherry fruits combine absolutely captivatingly.
    In the mouth, the sherry mixes with licorice, bark and salted caramel, and it is as if the peat rose, to explode in a peppery finish, very long and oily. Salted caramel stays on the tongue for a very long time. Then it evolves, to leave on the palate a more peaty, smoky shade, and some reflections of cola.
    In my modest experience, it is a masterpiece, at an extremely charitable price.

8. Joe Karacho scored this whisky 90 points Expert Junior

He has his reputation right! I'm missing the baseline scores to put it into relation to older batches (this is a 2017), but what I've got here in the jar is nothing short of a massive, fruity Sherry-Islay smoker with addictive potential, you've got to try that to have!
      Strong sweet smoke, noticeable Sherry influence in the form of dried fruit, and seaweed, it immediately becomes clear that a real heavyweight is in the glass, a really great Islay nose
    • Taste
      It takes a few oily-creamy seconds before the smoke explodes in the mouth, as well as salty caramelized dates and dry oak
      Long, very long, the fruity-sweet moments disappear before the smoke fills the tongue several minutes later

9. Rosebank88 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Have tried different versions and find that the quality has waned in recent years, unfortunately. Pity!
      Wonderfully peaty and smoky, coal smoke, grill flavors, burned grass and espresso. With water: filigree, burned oak, a trace of vanilla, burnt fruit, rose and lavender soap, swimming pool and bandages.
    • Taste
      Oily and soft in the body. Powerful start with lots of smoke and peat. With water sweeter and floral. Here more burnt herbs and also resinous flavors. Juniper?
      Long, powerful, sweet and invigorating.

10. Calmar scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Kurrirekan's own brother, beautiful in its simplicity and openness, powerful, deep, technically flawless - balance, character, pitchnost - all with him, a bit more complicated and more interesting than his relative.
      Raw, dense, smoke, damp leaves, wet tree, whether burnt bath, or overgrown with young growth of a fire after a warm summer shower; coal, iodine, salt, raw skin, in the background dried fruits and confectionery tones - cinnamon, cream, shortbread, dried apricots, toffee.
    • Taste
      Sweet-coal, brackish, peat, peppery, grapefruit crusts, cream, condensed milk, dried apricots, prunes, dried kvass, carpentry, resin.
      Smoke-bread, crackers, kvass, peat, coal, light sweetness, orange peel, viburnum.