Ardbeg Uigeadail

Strength
5010494220278
21 Aug 2007 7:00 pm

Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg Uigeadail

228 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.02 points

[March, 2017]  When Uigeadail was released back in 2003 I found this a great dram and scored it 91 points.  It was simply delicious: very complex in its flavours and aromas and nicely balanced.  So I bought several bottles...

Almost 15 years later I tried a recent edition of Uigeadail and I am totally disappointed.  This is not the Uigeadail I adored.  This is simply weakish, unbalanced and hot stuff with a drying/bitter finish (I guess they use virgin oak in the actual recipe - back in 2003 they would have thrown you out of the distillery if you had proposed such a change, for sure).

So, unfortunately I have to degrade my scoring from 91 points (2003) to not more than 82 points today.

2. Pollenflug scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Conclusion and pictures on: https://tomtrinkt.de
      Heavy smoke (campfire, ash and tar) and a light ocean breeze take over the command immediately. The aromatic intensity is always impressive. The high alcohol content (54.2%) initially stings slightly in the nose. After about 30 minutes breathing the nosing is more pleasing. Sweet fruit notes penetrate the dominant smoke after a few minutes. Vanilla, salty caramel sweets, lemon rub, hints of red fruit, tobacco and freshly ground pepper follow. The longer the malt can breathe, the more harmonious and pleasant the nose becomes.
    • Taste
      Welcome to Islay! At the first sip, a ruthless pepperiness for a moment maltreats my tongue tip, while my entire mouth is flooded with sweet smoke. The wonderful smoke is a powerful mixture of campfire, tar and a little bit of ash. The texture is pleasantly oily, near creamy / buttery. The alcohol is better integrated for my feeling than was the case with the Nosing. The sweet fruit flavors are now gaining more and more strength and refine the taste experience with beautiful vanilla notes and salty caramel. Red fruits, oranges, lemon rubbed, dark chocolate, hints of nuts and plenty of herbs and oak follow. Intensive, multi-layered and well-balanced.
      Long, smoky-sweet and warm. Furthermore, it smokes on all corners and ends, fresh fruits and a nice residual sweetness accompany the finish. Grapefruit (slightly acidic impact), lemons, vanilla and dark chocolate are present. Herbs and spicy oak provide a minimal bitter and dry finish on the palate.

3. waal scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

First impression / color / viscosity: Yes, a classic - only the packaging and marketing Blah blah on it enchant me. Of course, the first impression is due to the smoke. Color: saffron / viscosity: very oily run-off Aroma / Nose feeling: Pleasant feeling at the first Verriechen, only light alcoholic stinging (passes). Pleasant smoke that reminds me of a burnt camp fire. Such a campfire on which you sat all night and the next morning even smells like the ashes. Slightly grassy and already very sweet when I smelt, I would also describe the malt. Over time, caramelized lemon peels that blend in harmoniously. Taste / mouthfeel: This sweetness, this freshness, this citrus note - I just love it. At the beginning, the scotch tingles on the tip of the tongue and the oak turns the pepper mill on the inside of the cheeks. As a result, I notice the stunningly chocolaty, creamy mouthfeel with the ubiquitous smoke and superbly incorporated alcohol. With water, the single malt is a perfect treat. Round and sweet, slightly spicy with green wood, vanilla and nut cream. In addition, unripe peach and green grapes and their seeds. Except for the Octomore OBA I could not find this purity, balance and perfection in any other smoker (heavily peated, without majority ex-Sherry Fassreifung). Sure, there are plenty of other good smokers but as here, in the way no one else came into the glass. Finish / aftertaste / Length: A long, sweet finish, which is characterized by the pleasant smoke. The finish also reflects floral and especially refreshing aromas. The Nachschmecken is minimal bitter and a bit sour. I feel like spending a long evening in a smoky bar. Overall impression / comment: I have to admit that I'm not objective here - I just love this malt and all the trappings around it. I even like the progressive marketing of Ardbeg, as it obviously is marketing and I do not have to feel kidding as a customer (in contrast, I hate "back-end marketing"). Well at least regarding flavors / taste: For me (!) This is the best single malt Scotch, which is constantly available and still priced in the (subjectively) affordable framework holds. At least from those I've tasted so far ... Points: 95/100; By the way, the original from 2003 (bottled) got one more point with me ...

4. Thermidor scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I just tried four different Uigeadails (2008, 2011, 2012, and 2016) together and from the comparison it was obvious that this product is on a roughly linear downward trajectory. 2008 was the sherriest, meatiest, and heaviest. 2011 still had many similar things going on, but 2012 was already a deviation with very much reduced sherry sweetness and heavy herbal salts note on top of everything. Compared to the three older ones, the 2016 was a pitiable bottle of almost-new make with yeastiness that couldn't be found from the other ones. I scored the 2008 88 pts., the 2011 87, the 2012 86, and the 2016 84.

5. EnjoyLife89 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Junior

Extremely interesting; Immediately I smoke smoke and a strong, maritime iodine note. Directly behind, however, is a decent sherry note, which is carried by sweet vanilla. From time to time, sparkling wine fruits sparkle through, but the tenor is rather sweet for my senses. It resonates a nice, leathery barrel note and in the Blenders glass I also have a sweet malt note. After a certain time in the glass, I mean behind the tobacco to recognize a nice shade of herbs
    • Taste
      Smoke; Campfire; spicy; spicy (pepper); Sherry (now shows a nice cinnamon seasoning); The leathery barrel-note of the Nosing I have the same taste. Honey sweet; again some herbs; a touch of citrus too and a maritime-salty iodine note in the smoke. All in all well matched
      Smoke; Sherry, this time getting a little drier (it adds a light, sourish fruit note); The smoke becomes extinguished fire, which still smokes and glows. In between, again the change of fruit, sweet, sour and wood.

6. Belli700 scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

7. Belli700 scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

8. Dominik scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

Strong whisky with mellow aromas, well-balanced and simply wonderful for the price. I expected more sherry to be honest, but the sweet vanilla notes make up for it. Despite being a cask-strength whisky, this is no Corryvreckan, make no mistake. If you’re looking for a peat monster, you’ll be better off going for the latter one.

Full tasting note at http://yummywhisky.com/2019/04/29/tasting-note-ardbeg-uigeadail/

9. Martin1965 scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

Smoke, sherry, tobacco notes, vanilla
    • Taste
      Sweet smoke, light sherry hidden under the smoke, spices
      Long and intensive

With water, the fruit notes are significantly stronger and the smoke recedes - great Ardbeg

10. whiskyd scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior