- Single Malt
- Gordon & MacPhail (GM)
- Bottling serie
- Scotch Malt Whisky
- Stated Age
- 08 years old
- 100 (proof)
- 750 ml
- 57% under 100 proof
- Added on
- 21 May 2012 11:56 am
9 × in wishlist
39 × member ratings
20 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Highland Park 08-year-old GM
5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.54 points
- I was really looking forward to an amazing Highland Park at the whiskyfair Limburg 2018 and asked Angus for some guidance the bottles he was offering. I was quite surprised when he pointed out his bottle to me. Why on earth should I chose an 8 year old over all the other amazing bottles. Well I gave it a try and ... wow! I came back for another dram later that evening and ended emptying the bottle with a friend. This is so fare the best HP I ever had. I did not take detailed tasting notes but I hope I have the chance to add them some day.
- I didn’t think that an 8-year HP would have such a complex aroma.
Highland Park 8yo G&M 100 proof
Smell: If you only look at the vintage on the label, you will never think of such a complex aroma, orange, freshly opened sherry, a little bit of wet leather, more sweet oranges and raisins, slightly smoky Like the taste of a match just extinguished;
Entrance: Balanced sherry bucket, sweet orange and honeydew melon, the tannins are just right, the woody notes and the oily scent burst in the mouth, with vanilla and cinnamon (not much), with some sea salt and nutty flavors;
End rhyme: long woody notes and dark chocolate aromas, spices and coffee, not like an eight-year whisky, so wonderful...
- Tasted at Whisky in Leiden 2017.
This was for me the last dram, and I asked Geert Bero for a whisky that would blow the others that i had that evening away (and that were already some formidable whiskies... including some cask strength Ardbeg). And he suggested this... an 8 year old Highland Park... in a rather plain looking bottle... But he had won my curiosity and i ordered a dram..
little did i know that this is so far the best whisky i tasted. They say that they do not make whisky anymore as they used to do... and boy... how can an 8 year old whisky has so much different smells, deepness of taste and a finish that was present while i was already traveling to home for 30 minutes ?
some notes i wrote down:
nose: oranges, with some classical sherry notes as some wet leather, and almonds. Some very sublte smoke combines very nicely with the full fruity vanilla and honey notes
Taste: so full and round and layered. All sorts of spices together with sherry fruitness and oranges. The smokey and sweet just keep running circles in your mouth as well
Finish: endlessly, with some nice woodnotes, next to the still present spices, sweetness, mixed with some warm chocolate /coffee.
- I can not believe that this is just 8 years old whisky. Deep and fully balanced, with a slight subtlety.
- http://kaypingers-whiskyblog.de/frontend/fullarticle.php?id=200 Color: copper / rust red
Nose: Wet chamois leather, balsamic, almonds and one of the saltiest seasonings ever! Wood, bitter orange and grapefruit, but sweet with honey, ripe dried plums and vanilla. The heather combines with fine wood smoke and is integrated very nicely.
Taste: Round, juicy and fat! What a sherry board! Orange liqueur until you drop, a spice that should not really be labeled as such - rather an avalanche of salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and allspice. Fantastic fruity and sweet notes, combined in an impressive way with smoky wood, heather and some peat. All together, this round, harmonious and simply unforgettable taste!
Finish: Never ending - again this ingenious spice, the sweet smoke, the addictive wood and again and again the fruity aromas. Towards the end then all sorts of nuts, trail mix and finest chocolate and espresso notes.
Note: This is not whisky from this planet! Just incredible. However, I think that bottlings of different quality are on the way, as this malt was produced over several years in the same guise. This one is at least one of the best whiskys we have tasted in all these years!
96 points (nose: 94 / taste: 97 / finish: 96)