- Whiskybase ID
- Distillery Bottling
- Charred New American White Oak Barrel
- 42.4 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Added on
- 12 May 2012 12:08 pm
4 × in wishlist
57 × member ratings
102 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Michter's US*1 Single Barrel Straight Rye
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.19 points
- My first rye, let's see ... Strong bourbon aromas on the nose: cherry, caramel, some glue. Up to this point I would have guessed a classic bourbon, direction Evan Williams or Jim Beam. However, there is something in the background that I cannot classify correctly, woody, spicy, bread crumb, roasted aromas and eucalyptus?
Slightly thin in the mouth, but still slightly peppery. Surprisingly not very sweet.
Typically American in the finish, relatively long and nicely balanced between typical bourbon sweetness and malty / spiciness.
Overall nice piece that adds a layer of complexity compared to the typical Bourbon representatives. Unfortunately, it appears a bit weak on the chest, but a higher alcohol content would undoubtedly emphasize the pepperiness.
- Find this less interesting than the regular bourbon. I prefer that anyway.
- A nice rye whiskey bottling, which convinced me in its other version, from the toasted barrels a bit more.
So much cereal in the nose, dark, slightly baked.
Very spicy, slightly sweetish, slightly malty, a touch of lovage, a pleasant spiciness comes after some time.
- Simple but pleasant.
Candy sweetness, mixed cereal grain, and dark rye bread.
Earthy oak and caramel, canilla, and rye.
Soft floral and muted on first sniff. Rich vanilla and plums reveal
gradually at the back, smell sweet and marmalade with a touch of maple.
Welcoming pungent to give some balance aroma on nose. Palate:- Virgin oak rawness and spirity as commonly found in a American
dram. Honey sweet, trace of sour fruits and grounded spices, white
Finish:- Smooth entry and short, spiciness remains. Much refine compare to other US's dram.
— at The East Hotel Hong Kong -Sugar.
- From what i ascertained from the Michter’s reps, barrel means batch and this batch [L15H673] is made up of 42 casks. Confused?
N: Nose then, waxy, light sour mash.
T: Ok, thats fine - limes, vanillas, some candy and a little dry ice-cream.
F: Reduces to a waxy, dry mouth finish
C: Very direct on the palate. Very gentle for a rye, in comparison to some Buffalo trace rye monsters at least.
Scores a C[+] 83
Delicious. Spicy, caramel, vanilla, fudge, some orange and gentle (Christmas) spice.
The nose repeats itself. Pleasantly round and mild. The rye spices underline the other flavors and gives the whiskey the necessary start. Fine
Caterpillar with orange, tulips and caramel.
- Conclusion: Very nice Rye, which surprised me a bit. The seasoning is exactly tuned. 85/100 points Detailed review in the blog on: http://www.notesofmalt.de/notes-USA-und-Kanada/Michter-s-Rye-US-1,-Straight-Rye-Whiskey,-42,4-OA/
- This is a lovely rye
whiskey, without jumping out at you. Middle of the road is what they call
something like this.
The nose is clearly
rye-driven. Loads of spices (pepper and a lot of cardamom) and nice hints of
dried flowers, orange peel and dried grasses. I also get some almond shavings,
caramel and maple syrup. It is quite prickly on the nose, despite the modest
While the body is
light, the taste is quite good. Oranges again, not
only the peel but also the juice, and a marmalade of all kinds of red and dark
twig of mint keeps it fresh. Lovely honey. Cardamom again. It
balances the sweetness on the one hand and the spicyness on the other hand
it turns a bit dry.
The finish is long
and even spicier. It gets a herbal side at the death, keeping the
sweetness under control.