Karuizawa Multi-Vintages #1

La Maison du Whisky
18 Apr 2012 8:47 pm
Cask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Karuizawa Multi-Vintages #1

28 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.07 points

1. didi1893 scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

Karuizawa Multi-Vintage # 1 Awesome I hold the small sample bottle in hand, on his label is written by hand: Karuizawa 27y Multi-Vintage. My heart beats faster, the pulse is faster, I look forward to my first Karu! I gently open the small vial, carefully pour the contents into my Premium Snifter. Rusty brown and deep amber with a reddish glow shines the Karu in the glass. Majestically, after swirling, oily drops dissolve out of the streaks adhering to the glass wall and search their way back into the glass in slow motion. I close my eyes. In the time-lapse, the years fly past me and finally I am shrouded in fog at the beginning of the 80's in the middle of the Karuizawa Distillery in far-off Japan. The sun is high on the horizon a fresh pinch blows over the yard. I take a deep breath and perceive the different scents. (Nose) From the whisky casks standing in the yard, a spicy and fruity woody aroma rises. Old wood elements mix with sweet berries and ripe fruits. A dark and dry berry aroma blows in my direction and exudes its wonderfully soft and fresh aroma. Dried berries pickled in rum are voluminous, and a hint of old and ripe oranges rises into the nose. The plum and cherry trees on the grounds exude their wonderfully fruity and intense aroma, nearby a few bushes of fresh mint and peppermint smell. A pleasant alcohol note lies over the whole complex and reminds me of where I am right now, a whisky distillery! I go a few steps further. The dry ground dust, mineral and slightly salty aromas whirl up. From a warehouse wet leather flavors and a touch of cold tobacco. A moment later, the mint releases again its fruity and fresh aroma. I take a deep breath several times and can not satiate with the intense and beguiling aromas! (Taste) Suddenly an old man comes out of a warehouse, comes up to me and hands me a glass of whisky. I am curiously nipping the glass. Dark fruit flavors spread softly and velvet over the tongue, then the malt explodes in my mouth. Wow, what a kick! Spicy and dark wood notes hit hard on my palate, wooden sharpness and a pinch of chilli make the mouth glow briefly. Slowly the heat fades away, dried dates and raisins follow and exude their fruity and creamy aroma in the entire mouth. Tart wood and fruit notes appear, discreetly bitter leather flavors mingle with a few old tobacco crumbs. The harsh and dry woody aromas now dominate the flavor until suddenly unexpectedly creamy and sweet aromas rise from the wood. The old tobacco leaves become more intense, the leather flavor returns. Mint and freshness dissolve from the leather-tobacco mixture and a voluminous, powerful aroma makes the taste slowly pass into the finish. (Departure) Dreamily, I look up and hold the empty glass in my hand. Dark and dry tobacco aromas remind me of the great and delicate taste. Tart and dry notes of wood remain in the memory for a long time, creamy, dark fruit flavors return, plums and berries flash briefly again. The tart and creamy mouthfeel lasts for a long time, the complete flavors of the taste return briefly again. A touch of leather, fresh mint and a hint of eucalyptus, old and dried tobacco leaves, berries and prunes. Spicy and tart wood aromas with a fine hint of mint finish the finish slowly and make me rave about this great taste experience. Gradually the pictures fade in my head, I open my eyes slowly and find myself in the present again. One last time smell into the empty snifter glass, absorb the remaining flavors and thank ASWhisky for the gigantic sample and the wonderful trip to far away Japan! (Conclusion) What a taste experience! A truly old and multi-layered whisky. My first karu and hopefully not my last. The variety of different and beguiling aromas still make me swarm. As I write these lines, a dreamy mix of dried tobacco leaves and fresh mint returns. From the empty Nosingglas still raise intense aromas. After this incredible taste experience and my journey to the land of the rising sun, I have no choice but to end my tasting with the following words ... yes, I'm in heaven AS, thank you for this wonderful Karu!

2. ASWhisky scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

this Karuizawa has many bitter substances
    however, they are well integrated into a very striking sensuous interplay
    now I have a first-class tea taste in my mouth
    passed through with fine bitter substances

yes, I'm in heaven
      English fruit cake
      wet tea leaves
      bare planed wood (tart)
      lots of salt
      dark sticky and dried plums
    • Taste
      a chill soft kiss touched your tongue
      your tongue is immediately aflame
      by the fire dark plum jam spread over your tongue
      it is sweet & salty at the same time
      irritating
      you still feel a hot impression of the kiss on your tongue
      but the flames are gone
      warm tea sud and light wood remains in your mouth
      you want more
      long
      has he tasted sweetly or salty?
      bitterly or softy and delightfully?
      tongues and palates are in the quarrel
      and are tempted by sweet malty tobacco leaves
      to taste him once again

3. ASWhisky scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

This Karuizawa has many bitter substances
    but they are well integrated into a very special sensual interplay
    Now I have a first-class tea taste in my mouth
    sweet crossed with fine bitter substances

yes, I'm in heaven
      English fruit cake
      moist tea leaves
      blank planed wood (herb)
      a lot of salt
      dark, sticky, dried plums
    • Taste
      a cool soft kiss touches your tongue
      she is immediately on fire
      with the fire, dark plum jam spreads on your tongue
      sweet is he & salty at the same time
      irritating
      You can still feel the hot impression of the kiss on your tongue
      but the flames are gone
      warm tea-sud and light wood stays in your mouth
      you want more
      long was he sweet or salty?
      bitter or soft and lovely?
      Tongues and palate are in dispute
      and are seduced by malty sweet tobacco leaves
      to test it again

4. katarn_rb scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

God what a great whisky!
      Plums wrapped in bacon, leather and red fruit jelly and a touch of salt
    • Taste
      Wow what a start! Red hot and peppery ... but pleasant. A potpourri of dark fruits, damp wood and tobacco.
      Long with plums and leather

5. zerttbone scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

if you call this a blend , you are blind ... this is 4 top casks blended togheter till something out of this world if you drink normal common whisky's at fair price tags. i was full of nerves to drink it and boy oh boy i am not a descriptor of tast and flavours but what a feeling in my mouth , cant get any words for it but it was an explosion of flavors even 30 mins later . sad al my other whisky s are now promoted to water with flavour ... only one will stand up and that 's still that amazing old perth blend from macallan.

6. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

very much Karuizawa, sherry, tobacco, hint of leather, dark fruits, not too much wood, very nice

7. zerttbone scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

97!

This is a blend from sherry butt & bourbon casks #6405, 4973, 8184, 6437, ranging from 1981-1984. I may be mistaken, but I think that this is the first multi-vintage expression under the Noh label (or with the Noh images, perhaps more accurately).

Nose: Prune, fig, date, syrup. This baby is heavy and fruit. Also a bit of the elegant salty game meat, but secondary or tertiary and complementary. Chocolate, wood, cinnamon, and licorice. Perhaps even some gran marnier and gorgeous seville oranges. Almost reminds me, at points, of some of my favorite baco Armagnacs. Hooray! (with water) Rather more elegant, with greater emphasis on light extracted fruit and honey. Demerara rum and syrup.

Palate: All that was on the nose, this baby delivers. Orange, chocolate, figs, salted bacon grease (yum), wood, vanilla, and date extract. Elegant and powerful. (with water) brilliant. I love this without water, but with water... speechless.

Finish: Thick and chewy, just a delight. I forgot to put a score on this; my final note was, as written: BUY A BOTTLE OR MORE. Check. So, I'm going to have to say that this was somewhere between an A and an A+. Marvelous stuff and just what I want. For the sake of being absolutely arbitrary, I'm just going to give this a 97.

8. beireken scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior