Karuizawa Multi-Vintages #1

La Maison du Whisky
18 Apr 2012 8:47 pm
Cask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Karuizawa Multi-Vintages #1

18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.96 points

1. didi1893 scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

Karuizawa Multi-Vintage # 1 Awesome I hold the small sample bottle in hand, on his label is written by hand: Karuizawa 27y Multi-Vintage. My heart beats faster, the pulse is faster, I look forward to my first Karu! I gently open the small vial, carefully pour the contents into my Premium Snifter. Rusty brown and deep amber with a reddish glow shines the Karu in the glass. Majestically, after swirling, oily drops dissolve out of the streaks adhering to the glass wall and search their way back into the glass in slow motion. I close my eyes. In the time-lapse, the years fly past me and finally I am shrouded in fog at the beginning of the 80's in the middle of the Karuizawa Distillery in far-off Japan. The sun is high on the horizon a fresh pinch blows over the yard. I take a deep breath and perceive the different scents. (Nose) From the whisky casks standing in the yard, a spicy and fruity woody aroma rises. Old wood elements mix with sweet berries and ripe fruits. A dark and dry berry aroma blows in my direction and exudes its wonderfully soft and fresh aroma. Dried berries pickled in rum are voluminous, and a hint of old and ripe oranges rises into the nose. The plum and cherry trees on the grounds exude their wonderfully fruity and intense aroma, nearby a few bushes of fresh mint and peppermint smell. A pleasant alcohol note lies over the whole complex and reminds me of where I am right now, a whisky distillery! I go a few steps further. The dry ground dust, mineral and slightly salty aromas whirl up. From a warehouse wet leather flavors and a touch of cold tobacco. A moment later, the mint releases again its fruity and fresh aroma. I take a deep breath several times and can not satiate with the intense and beguiling aromas! (Taste) Suddenly an old man comes out of a warehouse, comes up to me and hands me a glass of whisky. I am curiously nipping the glass. Dark fruit flavors spread softly and velvet over the tongue, then the malt explodes in my mouth. Wow, what a kick! Spicy and dark wood notes hit hard on my palate, wooden sharpness and a pinch of chilli make the mouth glow briefly. Slowly the heat fades away, dried dates and raisins follow and exude their fruity and creamy aroma in the entire mouth. Tart wood and fruit notes appear, discreetly bitter leather flavors mingle with a few old tobacco crumbs. The harsh and dry woody aromas now dominate the flavor until suddenly unexpectedly creamy and sweet aromas rise from the wood. The old tobacco leaves become more intense, the leather flavor returns. Mint and freshness dissolve from the leather-tobacco mixture and a voluminous, powerful aroma makes the taste slowly pass into the finish. (Departure) Dreamily, I look up and hold the empty glass in my hand. Dark and dry tobacco aromas remind me of the great and delicate taste. Tart and dry notes of wood remain in the memory for a long time, creamy, dark fruit flavors return, plums and berries flash briefly again. The tart and creamy mouthfeel lasts for a long time, the complete flavors of the taste return briefly again. A touch of leather, fresh mint and a hint of eucalyptus, old and dried tobacco leaves, berries and prunes. Spicy and tart wood aromas with a fine hint of mint finish the finish slowly and make me rave about this great taste experience. Gradually the pictures fade in my head, I open my eyes slowly and find myself in the present again. One last time smell into the empty snifter glass, absorb the remaining flavors and thank ASWhisky for the gigantic sample and the wonderful trip to far away Japan! (Conclusion) What a taste experience! A truly old and multi-layered whisky. My first karu and hopefully not my last. The variety of different and beguiling aromas still make me swarm. As I write these lines, a dreamy mix of dried tobacco leaves and fresh mint returns. From the empty Nosingglas still raise intense aromas. After this incredible taste experience and my journey to the land of the rising sun, I have no choice but to end my tasting with the following words ... yes, I'm in heaven AS, thank you for this wonderful Karu!

2. ASWhisky scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

this Karuizawa has many bitter substances
    however, they are well integrated into a very striking sensuous interplay
    now I have a first-class tea taste in my mouth
    passed through with fine bitter substances

yes, I'm in heaven
      English fruit cake
      wet tea leaves
      bare planed wood (tart)
      lots of salt
      dark sticky and dried plums
    • Taste
      a chill soft kiss touched your tongue
      your tongue is immediately aflame
      by the fire dark plum jam spread over your tongue
      it is sweet & salty at the same time
      irritating
      you still feel a hot impression of the kiss on your tongue
      but the flames are gone
      warm tea sud and light wood remains in your mouth
      you want more
      long
      has he tasted sweetly or salty?
      bitterly or softy and delightfully?
      tongues and palates are in the quarrel
      and are tempted by sweet malty tobacco leaves
      to taste him once again

3. ASWhisky scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

This Karuizawa has many bitter substances
    but they are well integrated into a very special sensual interplay
    Now I have a first-class tea taste in my mouth
    sweet crossed with fine bitter substances

yes, I'm in heaven
      English fruit cake
      moist tea leaves
      blank planed wood (herb)
      a lot of salt
      dark, sticky, dried plums
    • Taste
      a cool soft kiss touches your tongue
      she is immediately on fire
      with the fire, dark plum jam spreads on your tongue
      sweet is he & salty at the same time
      irritating
      You can still feel the hot impression of the kiss on your tongue
      but the flames are gone
      warm tea-sud and light wood stays in your mouth
      you want more
      long was he sweet or salty?
      bitter or soft and lovely?
      Tongues and palate are in dispute
      and are seduced by malty sweet tobacco leaves
      to test it again

4. whiskycuse did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Tasting Notes:

5. vredensever scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

The aroma is thick, rich, spicy: old leather, smoked meat, oil, turpentine, varnish, coniferous wood with pitch, nuts, leaves, pipe tobacco, sherry, dried fruit, bitter chocolate, rum, brown sugar, honey. With a drop of water more smooth, fruity. Super! The taste is powerful, sweet with sourness: hot pepper, cinnamon, vanilla, citrus, bitter chocolate, strong tea, sherry, dried fruits, smoked products, tobacco, astringent oak. Delicious! The aftertaste is long: dried fruits, tobacco, light smoke, spices, tart oak. Conclusion . Fine whisky. Powerful, multilayered, diverse, bright and consistent. Excellent transition from a fascinating aroma to a bright taste and then to the enveloping tobacco-oak aftertaste. Concentrated pleasure. The score is 93 (n24t23f23b23).

6. Claudio + Cats scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

At least I did not think it was that great. Something musty, but not noble. The finish is rather poor. On Neudeutsch: you the crass like mold on cheese while drinking but only a little because this töier. Never buy the tsu brobiere, man. Gipt blatantly better.

7. Hvdree scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

8. mds51 scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

My first Karuizawa, which I had favorably bottled at the Whisky Festival in Radebeul (13 € / 2cl). I'm not disappointed at all.
      The alcohol is quite present. Overall, very heavy and syrupy. Freshly polished wood, figs, dried plums, salt, a hint of mineral, some leathery, a hint of mint in the background. Cherries and blackcurrants come to light after a while.
    • Taste
      Strong start. A touch of bitterness. Gentle on the second try, like a kitten. A lot of oak, which is quite original for 27 years. A jam sweetness spreads in the mouth (dark red fruits). When rumschwenken in the mouth, the fire comes to light again and the alcohol says "Hello" again.
      Fairly long finish, which leaves a mix of sweetness and bitterness in the mouth, the sweetness decreases slowly and leaves the last moment to the bitterness. This is not unpleasant at all. Super involved.

9. The-Man-best-Friend scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

May cost € 270.- in May 2013.

10. whioli scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur