Tomintoul 1976 MoM

for Members of the Malt Whisky Association
07 apr 2012 6:19 pm
Single Cask Whisky

Whisky reviews for Tomintoul 1976 MoM

One user has left 2 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.33 points.

1. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

After first contact with this oldie in 2020 [WLP+/-87], here’s my full bottle report.

A formidable retailer MoM may be, but can I recall a single stellar bottling from them as independent bottlers? Tomintoul is a steady ship that has remained true to its course through decades of changing times, so expectations are realistic.

N: As expected, this is delightful/regulation/no funny business whisky – Tomintoul through and through. Yet, if you told me this was 1970s, even 1960s G&M Balblair, I’d have bought that too. Profile-wise, we’ve a comforting/familiar soft squidgy floury- barley sweet > sour citrus chalky=bread flour soapiness [in a good ‘Lush’ way], as well as rosehip, camomile, and lime tea.

T: Soft sweet-lemon citrus-to-sour > ‘wash-like’ chalk soap into an agreeable woody bitterness.

F: Soft floury = chalky,…… sour – barley savoury-sweet chew,…. with more of all of the above. Same same throughout.

C: Even if I was overly optimistic on first contact, this remains a rather ‘classic’ old skool refill Speysider.

Score 84 points

2. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Drats, a broken cork and I’m without a spare. I never thought to equip the camper with one. Perhaps there’s just enough cork holding onto the plastic cap, and if I wrap it up with tape when on the move. Do I have any tape? Of course not! I’ll have to buy a cheap bottle of wine in the morning and use the cork from that.

N: Despite the cork logistics, the nose is – in the context of all that has happened in 2020 – dreamy, and a little creamy. Balblair-esque soft fluffy-bready-fruits talk of apples, pears, oranges and lemons [said the bells,…]. That said, the joy here lies within the sour & sweet flavour-centre cracks, as well as a little bitterness from the oak. Let’s hope the palate follows suit, and at 43% abv, it’s got a fair chance.

T: Aah yes! Being pretty much what I remember from previous Tomintoul’s and a number of Glencadam’s too, we’ve fluffy soft fruits with a decidedly sour citrus touch and a mouthfeel to boot. It’s not long before deeper more bitter-sweet sugars join the fray as citrusy putty-ish caramelisation kicks in. This all culminates in a broad slick chew,…

F: ,…. into a slightly peppery/fizzy liquorice-oaky waxy heat. Nothing remarkable nor problematic by the tail, the just the best has already been and gone. Adding water brings out even more of an even-handed Balblair-esque likeness.

C: I’m going to enjoy this bottle. Let’s hear it for refills! With a full bottle report to follow in due course, score-wise, I reckon we are around the 87[+] ball-park mark.

KVK: 60207205