Bunnahabhain 1968

2002
Strength
18 Aug 2008 4:28 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 1968

25 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.13 points

1. ASWhisky scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Du zerdrückst süße saftige Orangenstücke
      eine Prise Salz an die Fleischbrühe
      würzig süß riecht das Glas
      Dein Mund ist feucht
    • Taste
      ganz weicher Antritt
      Lakritz
      Holz
      leicht bittere Noten
      Hefe
      süßer werdend

[March, 2005]  I had this dram during a MaRa rarities tasting at Limburg.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 92,5. My notes state a sweet sherry profile which is well balanced.  It is delicious and very quaffable.

3. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

This is exactly what I mean about some sherried whiskies where too much sherry can hide the profile of the whisky.
    This one has just the right sherry influence and is spot on. The sherry adds to the profile,not overpowering it in any way.

I think the nose on this is brilliant. I am not a lover of sherried whisky but the nose is really excellent. The palate is not far behind but not quite as good.
    You would be hard pressed to find a better sherried whisky.
    Definately in my top five.
    A refined, elegeant old Bunnahabhain.
       Notes from February 2015.
      Leather, tobacco,sherry, black fruits, jammy,dark treacle toffee, raisins, prunes.

After a few minutes I also get honeycomb, maple syrup, cold tea, pecan pie

It is very refined, wow what a nose, just excellent.
    • Taste
      The flavours from the nose do not all come across to your palate but, I still get black fruit jams, old leather arm chairs, very discreet peat mixed in with the sherry.
      At the end I get smoked ham & shortbread. This on the palate has a diverse array of flavours, it just fades a little.
      Not the longest and probably my only gripe in that there is a slight bitterness at the finish that detracts slightly for me.

4. jay83 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Most sensational combination of venerable, fruity noble sherry and an unbelievably subtle maritime background! There's nothing to add here! Impressive in every moment!

5. sagara-kun scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Sublime Bunnahabhain. A bomb of fruit, of balance. No defect.
    Recalls certain sublime cognacs.
      Wow! What a nose!
      Fruit wrapped in wax. It explodes with intensity and precision.
      Apricot, peach, orange peel. Plum.
      Wood, fir resin. Mountain honey.
      Very light, slightly dirty leather.
    • Taste
      In the mouth it is slightly watery.
      The fruit is always superb. Plum, grape, apricot, peach, quince, orange.
      Always a lot of wax and honey.
      Marmalade, jelly, fresh. Fruit in all its forms.
      Sublime finish on wax, camphorated fruit, fir honey. That's sublime.

6. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

One of those legends I've been wanting to try, and when an opportunity arose for me to obtain a sample, I was all in! It has low ABV and I'm usually an ABV whore, but boy, this has a nose like you wouldn't believe. Immediately pleasurable!... So complex, I can't help but to salivate right away! A soft, beautiful, complex whisky, done superbly well. Definitely sherried, has some winey elements, but you don't really smell the sherry per se, which is a plus in my book sometimes. I can seriously drown myself in this, but alas, I only have a 30ml sample of this. I am lucky to have tasted this. If this was closer to 50% ABV, it would be top 3 ever for me.

Addendum :) -- I can't help it... I got myself a bottle of this!

7. Holle525 scored this whisky 97 points Expert Junior

This is a Superstar whisky. Nothing more to add.

8. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Old Bunna H2H, Auld Acquaintance V the rest 1960-1968

1 – Bunna 1964 25 year cask 4852/3/4/5 46% Signatory Dumpy – WB ID 7581
    2 – Bunna 1964 25 year cask 423/4/5 46% Moon Import, The Animals –WB ID 8683
    3 – Bunna 1966 35 year cask 4379 46.1% OB Feis Ile 2002 – WB ID 21051
    4 – Bunna 1967 33 year cask 3315 41.1% Malts Of Scotland, bourbon hoggy – WB ID 16817
    5 – Bunna 1968 41 year cask 12401/2/3 41.2% Adelphi, refill sherry - WB ID 15142
    6 – Bunna 1968 50 year Cask Mos 18032 42.1% Malts Of Scotland, sherry butt – Warehouse Diamonds – WB ID 121396
    7 – Bunna 1968 34 year cask 43.8% Auld Acquaintance OB,sherry - WB ID 3105
    8 – Bunna 1960 39 year cask 43.4% Douglas Laing OMC, (peated) – WB ID 5597

Bunna stopped peating in 1962 or 1963, so the OMC is a rare beast, and will be tasted last. , but will the Auld Acquaintance or the 50 year Mos tame it?

RESULT
    5 - 68 Adelphi almost as good as the 66
    6 - 67 Mos 33 year cask 3315
    7 – 64 Signatory
    8 – 64 Moon Import
    I really cannot split the 1960 Douglas Laing (peated) and the 1968 Old Acquaintance but on an emotional level I will give it to the DL, but both these whiskies must be the best Bunna ever bottled.

The 50 year Malts of Scotland is quality and the 1966 OB Feis Ile is very rich and a quality dram and not far behind is the 1968 Adelphi which surprised me in a good way. The 67 Mos is nice and all of these 6 are way in front of the two 1964 offerings which were not really at the races because they are lighter with less going on basically.
    In truth the first 6 are all excellent, this was a great H2H.

9. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Maybe the score is down but this is a H2H and what is in no doubt, this is one of the best Bunna ever bottled.
    This gets extra marks for is subtlety & finesse, Superb.
    I last tasted this about 5 years ago, even better than I remembered.
      A nose with finesse, caramel, fruit loaf, dark fruits, date, hints of smoke, bubble gum and some sweet floral notes, lovely, this is almost perfumes but so good
    • Taste
      Great balance with bags of spice, this has restrained power, superb balance that is where this thing gets the marks. Lovely fruity sherry, absolutely nothing out of place, superb
      Glorious, getting a little sweeter, just

10. Teresa scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior