Bunnahabhain 1968

2002
Strength
18 Aug 2008 4:28 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 1968

19 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.24 points

1. ASWhisky scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Du zerdrückst süße saftige Orangenstücke
      eine Prise Salz an die Fleischbrühe
      würzig süß riecht das Glas
      Dein Mund ist feucht
    • Taste
      ganz weicher Antritt
      Lakritz
      leicht bittere Noten
      Hefe
      süßer werdend

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

This is exactly what I mean about some sherried whiskies where too much sherry can hide the profile of the whisky.
    This one has just the right sherry influence and is spot on. The sherry adds to the profile,not overpowering it in any way.

I think the nose on this is brilliant. I am not a lover of sherried whisky but the nose is really excellent. The palate is not far behind but not quite as good.
    You would be hard pressed to find a better sherried whisky.
    Definately in my top five.
    A refined, elegeant old Bunnahabhain.
       Notes from February 2015.
      Leather, tobacco,sherry, black fruits, jammy,dark treacle toffee, raisins, prunes.

After a few minutes I also get honeycomb, maple syrup, cold tea, pecan pie

It is very refined, wow what a nose, just excellent.
    • Taste
      The flavours from the nose do not all come across to your palate but, I still get black fruit jams, old leather arm chairs, very discreet peat mixed in with the sherry.
      At the end I get smoked ham & shortbread. This on the palate has a diverse array of flavours, it just fades a little.
      Not the longest and probably my only gripe in that there is a slight bitterness at the finish that detracts slightly for me.

[March, 2005]  I had this dram during a MaRa rarities tasting at Limburg.

In
    my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
    - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 92,5.
    My notes state a sweet sherry profile that is well balanced.  It is delicious and quaffable.

4. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Very close in profile to the 1966 35yo maybe a touch more subtle but both are beautiful sherry bombs

5. kimmosuo scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

The Whisky Show Old & Rare Glasgow 23 - 24 February 2019

6. kot1803 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

7. AgentMunky scored this whisky 90 points Expert Junior

9.5//9
      8//8
      9//9.5

8. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

One of those legends I've been wanting to try, and when an opportunity arose for me to obtain a sample, I was all in! It has low ABV and I'm usually an ABV whore, but boy, this has a nose like you wouldn't believe. Immediately pleasurable!... So complex, I can't help but to salivate right away! A soft, beautiful, complex whisky, done superbly well. Definitely sherried, has some winey elements, but you don't really smell the sherry per se, which is a plus in my book sometimes. I can seriously drown myself in this, but alas, I only have a 30ml sample of this. I am lucky to have tasted this. If this was closer to 50% ABV, it would be top 3 ever for me.

Addendum :) -- I can't help it... I got myself a bottle of this!

9. thijs100 scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

A dreamboat of a whisky, displaying an incredible complexity on the nose especially, but also the palate. Incredibly glad to have tasted this legend.
      Some very soft smoke and menthol notes, as well as some pine needles. Really delicate. The sherry is subtle yet omnipresent. Coffee powder, cocoa and milk chocolate with raisins and dates, as well as cherry marmalade. A hint of cigar tobacco and licorice and a just a whiff of glue. Superbly complex and enjoyable.
    • Taste
      Again subtle and delicate, but also rich in flavour. Big on the sherry, but never overpowering. Slightly oily. Lots of milk chocolate, accompanied by polished leather and some soft spices, such as cinnamon and cloves. Menthol too. Also prunes and raisins, as well as marzipan and salted caramel. Slightly drying.
      Aniseed, chocolate and raisins. Long...

10. Allandale scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

A creamy body.
      A rich,moist Dundee cake. Toasted nuts. Salty sea-breezes.
    • Taste
      Malted milk. Chocolate. Nonetheless  avoids being cloying. Deftly balanced.
      Dark cocoa powder.