Macduff 1997 LotD

Strength
01 mar 2012 8:04 pm
Non-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky reviews for Macduff 1997 LotD

2 users have left 4 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 83.00 points.

1. peathead scored this whisky 74 points Expert Senior

Yeah well, there are only two people who scored this whisky so far.  You and me.  And of course you score this one rather high, since it`s your own bottling...  Not very representative if you ask me.  What struck me when I read the other (blind) tasting notes is that this is a `love or hate` kind of whisky.  Some scores were pretty low, some really liked it.  I`m not a buyer I`m afraid.

2. Semtex scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

This all shows how relative these scores are. This bottle is part of a shared cask, that was split into 4.

Here we have an average of 80 points.

The second part of the same cask, and thus exactly the same whisky, has an average of 86.50 points.

Part 3 of that same cask has an average of 88.50 points.

Part 4 hasn`t been scored yet.

3. peathead scored this whisky 74 points Expert Senior

Tasted blind (in two sessions):

Nose: Dough.  Fresh made dough, so not the smell of warm bread.  After a while I smell something sourish.  It reminds me of sourdough.  And let that be something I`ve never been a fan of.  There is a slight trace of peat/smoke.  Strange combination for a whisky.  (smelling at the sample bottle is NOT very pleasant because of the strong sourish scents)
    Palate: Almost identical to the nose, but the sour taste becomes more dominant.  Fruity, like unripe currants and lemon zeste.  But still that sourdough stays in my mind.
    Finish: Well, uhm.  It`s consistent with the nose and palate.

Pfooh,not my cuppa ... at all.  Not a bad whisky (for some perhaps) but the sour notes really turned me off.  My wife (who also likes the smell of whisky) said it smells like sour red wine ...This is a refill sherry cask???

4. Semtex scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

Nose: surprisingly grainy for a 14 yo; light hints of vanilla, fudge, buttery

Taste: punchy alcohol and grains again; followed by creamy butterscotch and stewed apples

Finish: as the taste, mediumlong

KVK: 60207205