89.42/100
SD764
12 Aug 2008 9:52 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Talisker 1970 Tactical DL

8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.42 points

[December, 2019] Another dram where the so-called experts are divided about with Jim scored 73 points (yes, that low!) and Serge 90 points stating an "extreme" dram. I am curious as ever (in such situations)...

...and this time I am completely with Jim. This cask was almost completely exhausted when they filled the Talisker in 1970, most probably. So it did not support the maturation of the spirit hence this stayed rather young and simple, not capable of developing the more complex flavours over time. I guess, that is why they did an additional sherry finishing (to add at least some flavours). I am not sure how Serge managed to identify all the different impressions and I am somehow jealous on this capability - but I own an ordinary set of tasting genes only.

I do not like this dram and as a drinker I would not spend any money for a bottle of such quality, to be honest (I bought a bottle for 116 Euro in May, 2002). May the super-tasters have fun with it!
      The colour is deep gold and the nose offers a rather strange profile, indeed. It smells quite young with shy hints of sherry and some OBFs but to be honest, there is not much in there (for my olfactory cells, maybe a super-nose can identify more aromas but who owns a super-nose except the "experts"?). There are buttery feinty (off-) notes, caramel-vanilla and wooden impressions. Sorry, but to me this is very disappointing for a 31-years old dram from 1970, let alone a Talisker. Where is the peat? The maritime impressions? The fruits? Sorry, I am with Jim on this dimension.
    • Taste
      The taste is not really impressive either with just sweet vanilla-toffee, bitter wooden and some shy citric fruits flavours. Again, my taste buds are not senstive enough to check out more impressions even after a long chewing session (by the way, this is the first alcoholic drink I have tonight so no corruption of my taste buds, for sure). Sorry Serge, this is unimpressiv and uninspiring to me - in a blind setting I would have guessed a much younger dram. It is not unpleasant to drink but it is not delicious either.
      The initial mouthfeel is warming but just a little coating without distracting moments. The finish is rather short and adds more sweet vanilla-toffee notes and a minor astringent feeling (plastics, cardboards) which grows stronger towards the end (this unpleasant impression is the only one that stays longer). Water releases chalky aromas in the nose (but not more) and flattens the taste even further.

2. DarrenHJA scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

3. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Coastal spicy talisker quite fruity with a bit of toffee, really nice

4. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I have tried this again and I still like it but my score is lowering to88-90 points, I like the pepper/sherry profile, I don`t think the cask is tired JM scored another great malt at 73 points if my memory serves me right the Linlithgow1973 OB, I think he got that wrong too
    Slightly stunted on the finish where it loses power but I like the taste.

5. ctu scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

Massively peaty and spicy antique Talisker, good stuff. 89/90.
      Pepper, camphor, salted butter caramel, vanilla, lime, milk chocolate and mixed fruit compote.
    • Taste
      Creamy. Peat, pepper, fruits, citruses, tannic oak and herbals.
      Long, peaty with ash and citruses.

6. lincolnimp scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I was not sure about the nose but it is the taste that is important and this is excellent on the palate.
    A great Talisker.
    My initial score for the nose was 88 but on reflection 90 for the nose with 93 points overall.
      You can certainly tell it is Talisker, salt, pepper, brine & peat are the main aromas.

You do get hints of chocolate, a few dry straw notes and a little vanilla which surprises me.
      The nose is nice enough but I am not a fan at the moment.
      Leave it in the glass for 10 minutes and you get a little grapefruit.
    • Taste
      Pepper & peat and it is very lively and then settles down into a sweet stewed fruit & peat combo and is really good, much better than the nose suggested.
      The fruit comes through and it is really sweet white fruits like tinned fruit cocktail what sherry there is mixes with the peat really well.
      It then gets a few sponge cake notes but it is restrained power.
      Not particularly well balanced but very entertaining so who cares?
      Long, sweet with icing sugar notes and peat but very sweet,

With a splash of water:- The nose is a little more distant and the palate has becoming creamy and the peat has been well and truly released in a good way

7. alex..w..fan did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Note by Serge Valentin from whiskyfun.com:

Tactical 31 yo 1970/2002 (50%, Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask, sherry finish, 222 bottles) Colour: deep gold. Nose: very different! Less fresh and less lemony, the attack being more on hot butter, vanilla crème and orange water. Much more wood influence, in a very nice way. Milk chocolate, caramel crème, white pepper… Very little smoke and no peppery blast, but still lots of vivacity. Apple pie, cinnamon. Lots of cooked apricot, peach pie… Very, very nice but not really typical. Oh, finally, some notes of eucalyptus and varnish. Well… Mouth: again, not very T******rish right at the start. Bitter caramel. Some curious notes of seawater, though, but also lots of citrus again. Rather rough, tannic, hot. More and more citrusy, in fact. Concentrated lemon juice? Quite some oak, and also some peat, finally. The finish is extremely long, almost burning, with some rather strong salty notes that play with your tongue. Funny? Not really but this one is really extreme, hence worth the try! 90 points.

8. SilentStill scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

This second-oldest tactical comes along quite vigorously and peppy and reveals some youthful Talisker accusations. A very nice old Skye malt, even though I correct it slightly point-wise in my third rehearsal.
      Dry malt, only slightly earthy aromas, subtle fruity grape notes of the lighter kind.
    • Taste
      Extremely round and despite the at least 50 turns almost mild-flattering on the palate. After a while, phenolic notes and a good dose of dry earth and also a little pepper unfold.
      For his age amazingly present and powerful, slightly peppery.