- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Rum Cask
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- Jamaican Rum Cask
- Number of bottles
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Bottle code
- L6S 6852 1108
- Added on
- 31 Jul 2008 8:58 am
32 × in wishlist
82 × member ratings
277 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balvenie 17-year-old
14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.51 points
- like the 17 Peated Cask, this is a very elegantly crafted whisky. They don’t seem ‘thrown together’ at all (Like I imagined they would), the prices are a little silly though.
Young wine vinegar. Deep vanilla, touch of sea air and tired oak. Nutmeg, pecan pie, light linens.
Spicy oak, vanilla gelato and paprika. Bit of fruitcake and a touch of smoke.
Chocolaty and smooth. Juicy fruit gum, oak, allspice, creamy vanilla, toffee. Black licorice and linens come together.
- I liked this, the palate was better than the nose.
At first nosing it smells like cheese mixed with dark honey and marmalade. I then get a few lime notes (like chocolate lime sweets)
Fruity and delicate on cherry, lime, mango and kiwi fruit. There is also some creaminess.
It also has a few biscuit notes and cream.
approaching medium but fades a little quick.
- Comments and Tasting Notes by Balvenie;
AGED 17 YEARSThe Balvenie RumCask 17 Year Old was matured in traditional oak casks before spending a second period of maturation in rum casks shipped from Jamaica.TASTING NOTESNOSEA vibrant aroma with intense floral and fruity notes. Orange peel, lavender, coconut and a hint of ground nut oil.TASTEBeautifully sweet with characteristic Balvenie vanilla notes backed up with subtle spiciness of cinnamon and silky oak.FINISHExceptionally smooth and long lasting.
- After doing a side by side of the 17yrs this one and the New Wood have moved up into my top 5 of favorite whisky.
I then went and did a Rum Cask sampling of 17yr, and the 14yrs... Cuban,Golden,Caribbean... I truly think the 17yr is something special and I wish Balvenie would think about this some more and put out a 17yr rum cask.
- Great paints.
Very sweet, some raisins and some light rum notes. A lot of honey.
Wildflower honey, incredibly sweet, no false mark.
Nice finish, a touch of spice, but delicious.
Tropical vegetation, orchard, lacquers, tannic, leather, berries, cherry preserve, confection.
Spiced, pungent. Nuts, herbs, green banana, tart peach, ginger, mineral saltiness.
Citric zest, unripe apricots, lime, salt, freshness of a coastal beach, sea breeze almost, hint of beeswax.
- A complex nose with lots of vanilla. Sweet and warming on the palate. The rum finish is very well integrated. A definite improvement over the 14yo rum finish Balvenie.