- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 14 Aug 2007 10:17 pm
2 × in wishlist
99 × member ratings
337 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Royal Lochnagar 12-year-old
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 79.22 points
- i tasted this bottled at 2017.11.08. it costs my 170 chinese yuan (nearly 22 eur). the nose have a little pungent and a little sour, i can imagine the apple vinegar, mounth at earlier, it's very easy to drink, and full of fruit and vanilla, in the end it felt alcohol, the finish is short and a little sweet.
- I have a soft spot for Royal Lochnagar 12 year , it is a good solid malt, perhaps not the most exciting whisky but it ticks all the boxes for me and some of the batched of the older bottlings like this one can be really good but as always there is batch variation, better than the later stuff for sure.
- Body; Medium to full. Smooth.
Big, with some smokiness.
Light smokiness, restrained fruitiness and malty sweetness.
Again, dry smokiness and malty sweetness. The first impression is of dryness, then comes the sweet malty counterpoint.
- Royal Lochnagar distillery is situated close to Balmoral Castle on Deeside, and
falls within the Highland classification of single malts. Now under the umbrella
of Diageo?s extended range of ?Classic Malts,? Royal Lochnagar is notable for
including a higher percentage of spirit that has been matured in European Oak
than most of its stable mates. The distillery uses a mix of third-fill Sherry
butts and third-fill American Oak hogsheads. The result is a whisky that
features light toffee on the nose, along with some green notes of freshly-sawn
timber. The palate offers a pleasing and quite complex blend of caramel, dry
Sherry and spice, followed by a hint of liquorice before the slightly scented
Full, fruity, green apples, a bit sour
Fruity, sweet malt, smoke
Long, soft, vanilla, honey
- N: fruity - pear, oily, toffee, lemon, floral, radish, vanilla and some chocolate
T: starts very sweet, whole meal bread, leather and malty
F: vanilla, honey, carton, bitter - grapefruit and orangepeel, mint and gooseberries
fresh summer dram
- Reluctant aroma, malt, apples, mint, coffee, peat and heather honey.
Vanilla sweet taste, eucalyptus, green pepper and toffee. Medium long,
herbal and malty end.
- Score is for a bottle from 2000, with this label