- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Double matured in Pedro Ximenez Sherry Wood
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 1000 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 10 Jul 2008 5:33 pm
32 × in wishlist
179 × member ratings
487 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 1991
14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.49 points
- Balance sheet (22) Good aroma, cigar notes at the finish are very interesting (90)
Sweet, peat ... berries ... paraffin ... pear ... smoked raisins and prunes ... iodine ... warm sand ... standing up there appeared orange caramels .... bright strawberries (23)
Fruit flavor, dried fruit compote ... salted and ashy (22)
Finish waxy, fruity ... slightly ash and iodized salt ... cigar ... berries and dairy notes (23)
- A lot of Lagavulin enthusiasts are telling the story of the good old days (in fact the 1980s), when the Lagavulin DE was much more sherryed than the 90s versions. Well, the true part on this story is the PX. The more detailed version is about too much PX. In my opinion it is in fact a fantastic dram, not so much PX as in some versions from the 80s. The 80s versions are worth the try but the gras isn't always greener on the other side. 90s versions (this time the 1991 bottle) are worth their money too (a bargain compared to the prices for an 80s bottle in the year 2015).
Concerning price/performance ratio: 7/10 (2015)
Sweet, sirupy, oranges, smoke, wet wood, sea and sherry are in a fight.
Creamy sweet smoke, smoked candy, the sherry is dominating the Lagavulin.
Medium to long. The PX is not to dominant and gets lost after quite a while. The smoke stays back with a sweet touch.
- nice,,, one of the best islay's ever
- Peat and iodine are not all. There's got to be texture and complexity. And this one has got it all.
Coastal but right into the sea. Seaweed, tar,iodine… Nothing is missing. The smoke rises up and releases creamy notes of toffee. Apple loft.
Voluptuously sweet with that briny dryness in the back.Hint of kippers (with a touch of butter).
- This still is an abosolute 100% perfect whisky! Wow!!!!!!!!!
I'm still a "rich" man, imho!
I'll post my complete notes this week.