- Single Malt
- Gordon & MacPhail (GM)
- Bottling serie
- Connoisseurs Choice
- Calculated age
- 39 years old
- 1st Fill Sherry Butt
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- New Map Label
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 16 Nov 2011 7:06 pm
11 × in wishlist
59 × member ratings
63 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caperdonich 1972 GM
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.25 points
- Boring sherry with no punches and dense chunks involved, hence a sherry to my liking.
- Tried it at TMA Vol.5, full burst dried fruits and sherry goodness, probably a little boring.
- On the nose; Crema di balsamico, honey, ripe blackberries, waffles with powdered sugar, maple syrup, bananas, plums, cherries, vanilla, licorice and oak notes. Taste: Dark dried fruits, especially berries, cooked and glazed apples, nice oily and viscous and concentrated. The barrel is noticeable but pleasant and nicely embedded. Finally espresso, black pepper, cigars and boiled apples. Fading with pleasant wood notes. n93, t92 f91
- A very dark amber color with a gray-green tint. The aroma is dense: perfume, resin, varnish, rosin, soy sauce, balsamic, old cherry jam, old dusty tree, steamed dried fruits, toffee and caramel, sherry. The taste is very sweet, astringent: immediately abundantly sweet sherry, pepper, wood, resin, balsamic tones, dried fruits, old jam, light bitter. Aftertaste of astringent, sherry: a lot of oak, dried fruits, jam, notes of varnish and resin, spices. Conclusion . A fresh sherry barrel in all its glory. Sweet, dense, powerful, spicy, wooden and boring. A monster or not a monster can still be argued, but I like it. Although straightforward. Really all the time in sherry? Rating: 92 (n24t23f23b22).
- This Whisky was sold for 393 € at Whiskyauction in Apr.2016
- A “sherry heavy” whisky that is “offering what it’s suppose to”. But (unfortunately) I don’t find it that special or interesting. But, if you’re a sherry lover this would be a real treat! And well, it’s still a damn good whisky!
Coca cola (?), dates, leather, candy, burnt matches and a little wet stone. A very closed of nose at first, even with the addition of water. But after a while it becomes more expressive, plums and mild tobacco.
What a little sherry monster... But a nice monster! Dates, raisins, leather, sugar cane, hints of mango and papaya. Bitter orange as well!
Dry, long finish that ends in a sherry crescendo.
- TASTING NOTE by G&M;
Nose: Heavily sherried notes, almond influences - marzipan and Christmas
cake influences - rich fruits.
Palate: Mouth drying, prominent sweetness, fruity influences with a delicate
dark chocolate edge.
Nose: Initial almond note, followed by the heavy Sherry influences, retains
some freshness and fruity influences.
Palate: Sweetness dominates, a hint of spice devlops in the background.
Finish: Long and sweet.
Cask Type(s): First fill Sherry butt.