Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Bowmore 1998 AM

AM 003
Strength
23 Nov 2011 1:07 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1998 AM

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.88 points

1. P.A.O.K.you_are scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

2. Hvdree scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

3. Fight65 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

4. Malinois scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Expected much, the more after reading the review of Onversneden. It always fit the glove for me.

Tasted a sample (10cl). I guess the bottle is open for a time, the peat/sherry mix isn't that what i expected. Maybe the combination of the screw cap and and long open bottle...

Edit: after 2.5cl (of 4), the finish ends very nice on crispy bacon, sweet smuddered sherry with in the backround sea breeze and soft peat smoke in the background of the background. The is splendid! Should buy a bottle (if I find one) for myself and evaluate the level so I don't have this this-that thing if the bottle is open for a long time or not (and influenced the taste or not)

5. GlenSikkes scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

By Johan ( Uncut ); Bowmore 13y 1998/2011, 49.7%, Asta Morris, cask AM003, 211 bts.
    Mineral, stimulating peat, that was the first thing I noticed in the cask sample. Now he is rounder, less sharp. On the nose I still have the minerals (wet stones, summer rain, you know it) and the peat, but what strikes me now is especially black forest ham and lapsang souchong tea, two associations that have a smile on my face bring. Lapsang souchong tea is dried on a firewood fire, and that is what I find in this nose, the smoke that is released when burning softwood. The black forest ham then points back to salt and sweet smoke (and meat of course). What else do I have? Honey, gooseberries, beeswax and forest stands. With the latter I mean moss, ferns and so on. And yes, it is a coniferous forest. Round, creamy mouthfeel with again the smoked meat and tea. Barbeque, ham on the spit ... marinated. With honey. So spicy, salty and sweet. Besides honey, I also note vanilla. In terms of herbs I have thyme, lemon balm, ginger, and a lot more. I still write almonds, just like some citrus and light oak. Cruelly delicious whisky, and so drinkable! Long finish on sweet and salty peat smoke. Price / quality an absolute topper. And a whisky that is right on my taste profile, as if it was made for me. 91/100

6. markjedi1 scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

A
    surprising and eminently quaffable Bowmore. Around 60 EUR at the time, but hard
    to find these days. No surprise there.

The nose
      is powerful and quite peaty with loads of mineral elements (damp earth,
      pinewood, ferns). Not what I expected from a young Bowmore, but in the positive
      sense, I hasten to add. It also has some gyproc, which I usually associate with
      Springbank. Smoked bacon! Leaving it for five minutes makes it nice and fruity
      on citrus and liquorice. It also has a great salty tang, while some eucalyptus
      gives is a fresh lift. This is a complex little animal!
    • Taste

It is
      round and creamy on the palate. And immediately salty. The smoked bacon
      returns. BBQ on the beach. A good bitterness and spiciness. Ginger, pepper,
      liquorice. A little vanilla, a lot of honey. The fruit returns as well. Not as complex
      as the nose, but a great palate nonetheless.

The
      finish is long, bittersweet, smoky and fruity. Peat has the final say.