- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Gordon & MacPhail (GM)
- Bottling serie
- Cask Strength
- Calculated age
- 12 years old
- Fresh Bourbon Barrels (1st Fill)
- 1055 - 57
- 56.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 09 Nov 2011 9:40 pm
9 × in wishlist
59 × member ratings
58 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Old Pulteney 1998 GM
12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.75 points
- Typical Old Pulteney????
- Solid malt for its age. However, the slight alcoholic tinge in the nose bothers me a little. A few drops of water help a little. Herbs are added to the bourbon barrel notes.
But after a few minutes it gets better and better and the alcoholic sting is gone. Now I like it better.
- Nose 22, taste 22, finish 21, balance 22
- N21 P22 F21 B22
- With a little water, the 12-year-old in the nose noticeably vanilla-sweet, on the palate and the finish changes except the noticeably softer onset (thank God!) Not too much. This malt does not need water in my opinion, because with a little patience, all flavors are also present without a presence and the dense total arrangement is what makes this excellent Pulteney.
Very dense and fine. A wonderful herbal note with some marjoram, a little damp moss, behind you can already feel the fruits. This is not a malt that immediately beats the bourbon cask vanilla sweetness around your ears. The scent is very dense and fine, as already mentioned. The longer you smell it, the more aromas appear on the horizon. The alcohol seems to be an excellent staple that holds it all together without attracting attention for a second.
Wonderful - now the fruitiness is there, in addition to the bright grapes, I also have juicy dark berries on the palate. Of course, vanilla, a little cinnamon, pepper. Delicate and slightly oak, and then the salt spray emerges.
The ending changes from the Pulteney-Maritimität - yes, that's it, and here she is present in the most beautiful! - with a pleasant oak to the light and dark fruits, back to spicy. I am pleased.
- A sweet honey nose. While the taste has also some pineapple and toffee. A long salty finish.
- Result of a blind tasting (held Dec 22nd 2012):
52 people rated this malt with an average score of 71 points.
Average score over all ratings 2012 : 67 points. So 67 points is the median.