Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Laphroaig PX Cask

hs305
Connoisseur hs305 Review note
11 Feb 2017 10:46 pm
hs305 gave this whisky 89 points

[February, 2017]  ...another experiment today.  As planned for a long time already I did a side-by-side comparison of this very first release of the Laphroaig PX Cask versus a later one (all of them with a different brown label).

And the winner is:  As expected this very first edition is way better than all the later ones I have tasted so far.  It is a heavy, very phenolic dram that fits perfectly to the fat, creamy PX profile (of course, you have to love this profile - otherwise you should better go for something else).  It is a dram that immediately covers all your tongue and mouth and stays there for a long, long time.  You can still chew this whisky even after it went down your throat completely.  I would not trade one bottle of this first edition for a complete case of the later ones...

By the way:  The perfect background music for tasting this stuff the very first time is Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (play it as loud as possible)...

89.4
Presentation
There is no accounting for taste...
hs305
Connoisseur hs305 Note
22 Jul 2017 2:35 pm
hs305 gave this whisky 89 points

[July, 2012]  Together with biking friends I emptied a bottle during a harley ride along the legendary route 66 (I rode a trike what was a lot of fun).  I bought that bottle in an airport duty free on my trip to the US.

[May, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 62 Euro in November, 2012.

[October, 2015]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 79 Euro in October, 2012.

[February, 2017]  I emptied another bottle during my holidays in Denmark that I bought for 62 Euro in November, 2012.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it twice 90 and twice 87,5.  Please see detailed review below.

There is no accounting for taste...
Thermidor
Expert Senior Thermidor Note
16 Nov 2015 1:14 pm
Thermidor gave this whisky 79 points

The PX finish feels tacked on and not properly integrated. In my humble opinion Laphroaig and sherry casks work better as a full maturation than as a finish.

Agrajag
very_bad_day gave this whisky 90 points
Color
Deep gold
Nose

Tourbe, raisin cuit, sherry, cire, cuire.

(avec de l'eau) Il fait plus vieux.

Taste

Tourbe, fumé, moelleux, fruit des bois, fermier.

Belle rondeur

Finish

Longue, sur de la tourbe mais c'est moelleux en bouche.

Comments

Tout coïncide.

irrerelevant
Expert Senior irrerelevant Note
04 Feb 2015 11:00 am
irrerelevant gave this whisky 85 points

Phenolischer Rauch mit Sherrysüße, nicht so Räucherschinken und Datteln erinnernd wie der Lagavulin 16y, aber geht in die Richtung, viel Kraft, etwas Jod, Vanille, trocknet stark ab im Mund, deutlich gelungener als ein QC z.B

Prodigy
Expert Junior Prodigy Note
21 Dec 2014 7:44 pm
Prodigy gave this whisky 64 points

I like Laphroaig, but the PX doesnt work for me.

It has a bitter aftertaste and I like the standards better.
Not much PX influence

The Cairdeas 2014 (amontillado Finish) works much better.
Whisky_Wolf