87.33/100
Strength
20 Oct 2011 7:24 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for North Port 1976 CA

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.33 points

[January, 2019] ...continuing my CGBP-project (The "Cadenhead Green Bottle Period" lasted from late-1990 until mid-1998 and is characterised by its small size white labels). North Port is one of these lost distilleries with a somewhat strange flavours profile and a chequered release legacy - some bottlings are pretty interesting and nice, others rather boring and unimpressive. So far I had not any North Port dram with a 90+ score - which is a good reason to open this high-scored bottle (by two members) that I bought for 72 Euro in December, 2004.

And this is another one of these chequered North Port drams. It offers a rather austere old style profile that is not to my liking and an unpleasant cardboardy finish (which could be a cork-taint, too). Leave it for collectors and investors...
      The colour is old gold and the nose offers an old style grassy and autumn floral profile with spices, herbs and tannins. I would say this is rather austere - do not get me wrong, it is not bad at all. But it is intellectual very challenging to identify the different aromas in there (one reminds me of old printing ink, that is banned for health reasons nowadays) and it is even more hard to really enjoy such a profile (for my olfactory cells only, remember: there is no accounting for taste).
    • Taste
      The taste is barley sugary sweet with spices and herbs in a firm wooden setting. This is rather simple and not layered at all - but there is no flaw either. Some water releases chalky aromas in the nose and smoothes the taste without adding new flavours. More water releases additional honey aromas in the nose and no new impressions on the palate, again. But the unpleasant cardboardy finish is soothed that way (somewhat)... Nonetheless, I like the neat dram best (it got ooompf, at least).
      The dram arrives hot in the mouth which is no wonder at 62% abv. After my taste buds adapted to that strength there is a fine creamy-coating feeling but a somewhat distracting drying moment of old, wet papers and used cardboards, too. The finish is rather short and adds no new impressions except that the unpleasant cardboardy-ness grows stronger towards the end what I do not like at all.

2. Jackson05 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Thoughts: My first North Port and I really don’t know what to make of it. Very little cask influence, which is ok, but it just didn’t have much character. I had a really naked Dallas Dhu that just seemed to ooze character and was very memorable, so I’m not sure what happened here. Maybe I’ll get a chance to try more North Port, which may be difficult since it was demolished in 1983 and a Safeway is now where it used to be. Thank you to my friend for the sample, I really appreciate the opportunity to try these historic malts.
      Nose: (84) Very hot, ethanol, beyond that there’s some white fruits, banana, white pepper, parchment paper. Petrol and some industrial grease, paraffin. With water it never really opens up(maybe more honeyed). You would only be guessing what distillery if you had it blind. Actually a good mystery dram for someone you don’t like. Ha! Water is obligatory for me. It’s not bad at all - but nothing really inspires.
    • Taste
      Palate: (87) Hot, white pepper, habanero, white fruits hidden there somewhere. After some time (over an hour) and a few drops of water it is much more accessible, runny honey, honeysuckle, mirabelles, vanilla.
      Finish: (85) White pepper, very hot, spicy from the alcohol, paper bag. With water much more honeyed, white fruit juices, lacquer, newspaper.