75.50/100
Strength
08 Jul 2011 12:04 am
Uncolored

Whisky Reviews for Kentucky Vintage NAS

8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 75.50 points

1. volker40sw scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Tasted on 03-03-2020.

2. markjedi1 scored this whisky 75 points Connoisseur

When I tried the Kentucky Vintage for the first time (about a year ago), I felt it was very ordinary. I disrespectfully even called it Willett’s bottom shelf product. After all, it is dirt cheap and in my honest opinion an entry level bourbon. But a friend in the States – with whom I sometimes trade samples – told me to drink a quarter bottle and then leave it for a few months. So that it was I did. The bottle has been opened for four months now. Second chance? Here we go.

Admittedly, it gets a lot better on the nose, but I still find it somewhat rough and unbalanced on the palate.
      Well, who would have thought? The nose is quite pleasant now. A touch of woodsmoke precedes some corn on the barbecue, a touch of red fruit appears with a hint of marzipan and the rye in the mix offers up a soft spiciness. The smoldering wood and overpowering caramel I had the first time around are gone. Good!
    • Taste
      It is honeysweet on violets (I mean the purple candy), sweet butter and something floral, but also quite alcoholic. The spices scream a bit now, nipping my euphoria in the bud.
      On the finish – which is not long, but pleasant enough – I get another surge of woodsmoke.

3. markjedi1 scored this whisky 75 points Connoisseur

Smoldering Wood

It may sound a bit disrespectful, but the Kentucky Vintage is the cheapo bourbon from Willett’s. A dirt cheap entry level bourbon. Can you taste that?

The nose is quite alcoholic with loads of caramel, a hint of corn on the grill and a rye driven spiciness. Surprising amount of oak. Woodsmoke. Make that smoldering wood. It is far from bad, but to be honest completely uninteresting as well. So far, the nose fulfills the low expectations.

The arrival is syrupy, honeysweet and immediately reminds me of parma violets. Again quite alcoholic and that does not really work. Soft, sweet butter, corn, flowers. But one thing comes after the other, if you know what I mean. It is almost like the tastes are not well integrated. The corn dominates, which is not an advantage. And the alcohol burn is too much, in my opinion.

The finish is short and smoky, but quite pleasant.

Only the finish was agreeable with me, to be honest. Last seen at 33 EUR, which I find too much for this stuff. Am I being too harsh? I think not.

4. Cipidos scored this whisky 61 points Expert Senior

Nose: vanille, chocolate,dried fruit
    Taste: sweet,sugar
    Finish: short and a dirty aftertaste

5. Furtia scored this whisky 67 points Connoisseur

6. ardpeat scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

first personal discovery of a bourbon and nice surprise with regard to the price. makes you want to explore other whiskey. to advise those who want a bourbon approach without breaking the bank.
      vanilla, bitter chocolate, raisins, some nutmeg and potato peels
    • Taste
      sweet and spicy, light smell of blond tobacco that gives a hint of bitterness
      the finish leaves a very pleasant sensation of salinity on the edge of the lips while the palate retains an oily and sweet texture

7. brebe scored this whisky 89 points Member Junior

I had this one as a blind sample too, and I liked it.
    It opened my eyes for bourbon, and I have had more bourbons since then. Purchased this bottle recently.
    Flowers, honey, vanilla, cocos...

8. peathead scored this whisky 30 points Expert Senior

I`ve tried this one as a blind sample.  Here are my notes.

Nose: from the moment I open the bottle I smell something familiar.  After a few seconds it hits me.  Bourbon, truck loads of bourbon, some bananas too.  Soap???  Plastic???  Yuk, it`s sooo overwhelming.  It reminds me of a Goldlys 1991 boubon cask but this if far worse.  At the second tasting session it was more of the same.  Lots of bourbon, soap, detergent, paint and a bit of bananas.  YUUKK!!

Palate: again a lot of bourbon.  Bitter, soap again.  Not good!!  With or without water: no difference.  At the second tasting session ( a few days later) there was no improvement what so ever.

Finish: unpleasant.

I had no idea what this was but this was just plain disgusting, foul.  This is without a doubt (and with a big bright star) on top my S.H.I.T. list ! ! !