Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

93.68/100
853 + 2734
Strength
13 Oct 2011 11:51 am

Whisky Reviews for Glen Grant 1950 GM

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.68 points

1. Marko_I did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

I have never wanted so much a few percent more - one can only hope that was not significantly diluted, but by itself just made the 40%. Great nose, yummy, but too thin in the mouth, weak to vanishing finish. --------------------------
    Conclusion after tasting the complete Glen Grant Collection series' 50s: https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/25742/glen-grant-1950-gm

-------------------------
    For one-time tasting me enough 2cl actually plenty, for example, the chat FT I have almost always after about half an hour, when my notes are done, still a good sip in the glass, without somehow holding me back and to be frugal.
    So far, the 2cl have only been limited in difficult grip strengths, if something goes wrong during dilution.
    In this respect, I had little to no hesitation, in this case to cope with a smaller amount (about 1cl, in two a little less), full concentration, no gulp waste, dilute is not necessary.
    I take basically very small sips and keep the whisky quite a long time in my mouth, that I was too thin while tasting in the mouth, quasi taste "disappeared", but I have not experienced.
    Although I did not have such old whiskys before, but still quite a lot between 30 and 50, and my experience lets me guess, these Glen Grants were originally even stronger and are not insignificantly diluted, the alcohol content in the barrel would be just over 40% fell and you would have only insignificantly leveled to 40%, there would be more flavor, fatter, more wood, tannins ...
    As a comparison, the 1966 Ben Nevis WID: 66918 with only 29.5% - logically, less alcohol, softer, but the flavors (whether you like them or not) are fatter, thicker, richer than in the grents that disappears even with a tiny sip not after a short time in the mouth.

The flavor of the Grants are all 6 pretty great, interesting, an experience. However, if you also want to enjoy the taste and the finish, you should or must take your mouth fuller, otherwise the whisky is gone before you even had half of the enjoyment.
    Especially if you take larger sips anyway (and heavy stuff is used to), you should probably not start under 5cl in this case.

My order:
    1955> 1951/1953> 1954> 1950/1952
    (with the "straight" especially the "thinness" with taste and finish strikes)

Nevertheless, * if * I had 2000 € hobby budget a month, I would probably take half the annual budget, buy me a six-pack, tear it up and enjoy it with friends. Just because it works and is delicious and the numbers on the bottle but somehow fun.
    (In any case, rather than me-times to put the same bottles in the cellar. ;-))

(This tasting was probably my biggest challenge so far ... Careful, just do not miss a molecule, just do not waste a drop ... horror and fun and you get old like a cow and still learn.)
      When pouring exotic fruit salad, Haribo Goldbären, intense, yummy ... in the glass then first surprise: Nix fruit, but wood smoke, not too strong, old, dusty. Ups, 20 cm above the glass again fruit salad. Slowly lower, sweeter, with 5cm milk chocolate, directly on the glass again wood and light smoke. Funny game. After 20 minutes, the fruit salad struggles forward in the glass and mixes with wood and chocolate.
    • Taste
      In the beginning shortly fruit salad, then chocolate, forest honey, when he has spread properly on the tongue, it's a (thin) mixture of licorice, cough syrup and herbal bitters with a tiny idea residual smoke, unfortunately, the pleasure is far too short, the 40% are too dilapidated by the salivation.
      I swallow quickly, there are in the finish medium again cough drops, camillan, wood. If I keep it longer in the mouth, the departure is mousetot afterwards.

2. markjedi1 scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

My God, what a fantastic Glen Grant. 1950… That makes it the oldest whisky – from a vintage point of view – that I have tried. No less than 57 years in oak and already 10 years in the bottle. Liquid history. What a privilege. And it immediately tumbles into my personal top ten! Still available at La Maison du Whiskty, but it will set you back 4.200 EUR. Good beyond reckoning.
      Wonderfully sweet nose on red and yellow fruit, but also baked apples. Reminds me somewhat of Madeira. Very round and rich. Hints of chocolate and a pinch of spices.
    • Taste
      It is oily and mouthcoating and offers some toasted oak alongside the fruit. The apples turned into apple sauce with loads of cinnamon on top. Yellow plums, apricots and warm spices. Delicious trace of woodsmoke, giving him a tremendous old school character. Wait… this is old school, of course!
      It is that woodsmoke that gets all the praise in the medium long finish.