93.00/100
Strength
21 Jul 2011 1:14 pm
Cask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Balblair 1970

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.00 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

OK, tried this against my all time favourite Balblair

I have given them the same score, whisky that caresses your palate, both of them, great for different reasons.
    I love whisky:)
    I really can`t split them but this might get the nod with a gun to my head.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

I have always loved old Balblair and about 7 years ago had a chance to buy this bottle, now I have tasted it I know it was a big mistake not buying.
    One word, brilliant
    suited to my palate, uber fruity, possibly a bit tame for some but bourbon cask whisky does not come any better than this.
    I need to taste the sherried 1966 38 year, just to see which is the best?
      That is a lovely nose, multi layered to say the least.
      Hot buttered toast, biscuit, cereals, honey, banoffee pie, apple, apple skins, faint grapefruit, other white fruits, touch of polish, a little vanilla and freshly sawn wood, that lot is just for starters!
      After a minute ot two there is a slight glue note mixing with the wood.
      Awesome this is perfect for a bourbon cask whisky in my view, I hope the palate lives up to it?
    • Taste
      Thick and chewy. really creamy and very fruity.
      Wow perfect.

All the fruits on the nose are here and then some, like a mixed fruit cocktail, peach, mango, whipped cream, buttery, hints of sweet spice but mainly fruit.

There is a biscuit, wafer edge to the profile and the buttery angle mixed with sugar is great.
      This is where it gets interesting, full and creamy mouthfeel but also quite light like some of the best old blends I have had ( a compliment)
      Remains a little spicy and sweet with the fruit staying until the end with just a little more apple.

With water (not needed)
      Basically the same with a little more apple and now a little soft tinned gooseberry (Heinz fruit cocktail)
      The water has released an avalanche of white fruits now, just more of everything