88.00/100
Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
Wakens the taste buds
04.1989
12.2008
Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead
25.47
Strength
03 Jul 2011 10:57 am

Whisky Reviews for Rosebank 1989 SMWS 25.47

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.00 points

1. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

I love the ‘old’ labels. Cult retro!

N: Despite Phil reminding us that this isn’t a guessing game, we inevitably begin guessing. I’m convinced I know this, a frequent and often misguided view. I ponder whether it’s a fruity Benrinnes with its desirably dry, woody and chalky astringency. It’s fruity & woody overall. Also coming to the fore is Sherbet Dip, goji berries, wood shavings, lemon-y honey, raisin-y raspberry coulis, plastic-y melon,… The Foz wonders whether it’s a Balblair. I’m convinced enough to enquire but told it isn’t a Highlander. So not a Mannochmore either then. I calm down.
    T: To begin with, there’s a fleeting Brora-esque vibe before a dry-ish woody astringency that moves into fruity liquorice & honey with a phenol hint.  The Foz spots cucumber and indeed I find lots of cucumber before light cocoa-chocolate on the turn.
    F: Oily and woody with short-crust pastry, but in the main, we’ve a tasty bitter refill woodiness which is certainly to my liking.
    C: Regardless that it’s a Rosebank [revealed] or otherwise, this is lovely vibrant refill-matured whisky that I could drink this all day long. I believe it cost no more than €85 euros a bottle at the time.

2. John Barleycorn did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

SMWS Tasting Notes

Fresh straw, honey lemon Lockets and smooth toffee initially were found on the nose soon to be joined by angelica, kiwi fruits and sherbet. Very sweet and moreish. With water we found lipstick, lime tree blossoms and hints of bitter chocolate on the nose. The Geordie barman felt the full strength palate `wakens the taste buds` (A good thing considering this was the first dram of the evening!) with sweet, runny honey and a spicy finish. We found more chocolate with water and a black pepper flavour with a longer tobacco finish that turns bitter. From the closed distillery at Falkirk.