- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Inga Saga Trilogy - Edition Three
- Stated Age
- 18 years old
- Number of bottles
- 54.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 26 jun 2011 9:03 pm
87 × in wishlist
185 × member ratings
741 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Highland Park Earl Haakon
15 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.02 points
- OK....who is going to be the first to open their bottle and provide a tasting note?
- 2333'91 - church candles in burlap and wild honey of Orkney heather are all under the layers of sherry (let it stand well and it won’t stick out)
- Nose: quite reserved at the beginning, needs to be warmed. Then you're attacked by Orkney peat, heather honey, sherry, oranges, marmalade, prunes, touches of salt and oak. There are also some old church flavours: precious wood, frankincense and myrrh.
Taste: dense and powerful, sweet oranges, peat, notes of salt, pepper and oak.
Finish: long, drying, mouthwatering, sweet and smoky, stays with for quite a long time.
Overall: really wild one, you can easily imagine Earl Haakon himself with axe or whatever. The same score as before, but today I'd put some emphasis on its taste.
Score = 23 23+ 23- 23, 92/100!
- Considering it is 54.9% abv it has little punch to it?
Flavourwise it is pretty good just not particulalrly exciting and the price now is far too high
- This is a lovely dram, very HP but I would have expected a few surprises and this one plays it straight down the middle. 89
Some sharpness of alcohol and possibly sulphite but soon leaves a warm honeyed nose with a touch of sandalwood and sawn oak. Deeper in there is orange oil and white pepper. Faint hint of smoke and a little mint. With water the sulphite and smoke comes more up front but leaves even more orange oil.
Malty and earthy taste with orange oil & honey. Very classic HP taste. Warming and rich. Oily, coating mouthfeel with very slight hints of smoke but less than I would expect. With water it becomes a touch sweeter with orange marmalade making an appearance.
Long spicy finish, white pepper & cloves.
- My notes, along with the other bottlings in the Magnus series, can be found in this HP Special on my blog:
- A great expression!
- Earl Haakon is the third and final release in Highland Parkâ€
- expensive but nice
- Just paid over £300 for my bottle :( so wont be opening it just yet
Add tasting tags by clicking the flavours you recognized in this whisky.