- Whiskybase ID
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Premium Select
- Stated Age
- 05 years old
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Added on
- 24 May 2011 2:08 pm
6 × in wishlist
26 × member ratings
50 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Three Ships 05-year-old
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 78.75 points
- Interesting to try this. good entry level dram.
- Good blend of peaty scotch and Africa whisky. The dry leaves and peat flavor work quite okay. But not a fan of the leaves bitterness thou.
Earth, spice, nutmeg, old wet oak, burnt wood ashes, roasted malt, some honey behind.
Good amount of peat, nutmeg, lemon, some sugar, burnt oak, salt, licorice and leaf bitterness. Thick and heavy mouthfeel.
Medium, with peat and leaf bitterness.
- It wasn’t fantastic whisky, but for a 5-year-old, cheap, mass produced whisky, it had a really good amount of flavour to it to it. I would mark it down a little because while the flavours I really like were in this, they felt a bit weak, but heck it cost me the same as a bottom shelf Scotch blend (we’re talking Johnnie Red territory here) and I got a good amount of enjoyment out it.
Reviewed in my blog: https://iwriteaboutstuffilike.com/2016/07/24/three-ships-5-year-old/
Bananas. Vanilla twinkies. Custard. Woodsmoke. Earth. Wine gums. Cinnamon, the flavoring not the spice. A certain herbal note that reminded me slightly of Rhum Agricole.
Bitter spirit. Light, smoky earthy note. Candied cherries. Cinnamon pancakes.
Short. Bitter wood. Woodspice.Light smoke. More banana, flavoring not fruit. A bit of vanilla.
- The blend of peated Scotch Whisky and South African Whisky harmonizes pretty well.
Sweet and fresh with apple aroma and a peaty background. Faint scent from the wood of a vine. Nice and pleasant.
Smooth, sweet and peaty with a little oak at first mouthfeel. In a second wave there is salt and liquorice. Unfortunately there is nothing more to come. Somehow watery but overall it is pleasant.
Short to medium long with a slight dryness.
- http://www.weinkenner.de/2012/james-sedgwick-distillery-1886-whisky-aus-suedafrika-24565/ Color: pale gold
Nose: Slightly salty, earthy, wet foliage and mellow wood, vanilla, aromas
of pear and light stone fruit.
Taste: The start is very soft, round and thin. Earthy, some smoke, tender salty lemon, mirabelle plums and some white pepper.
Finish: Medium length with quite a peppery finish. Otherwise, the same flavors as in the taste.
Comment: Already better than the Bains!
77 points (nose: 76 / taste: 78 / finish: 78)
Price: about 35 euros