- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Blue Label
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- Oak Casks
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Blue Label
- Added on
- 04 Aug 2007 7:44 pm
4 × in wishlist
97 × member ratings
137 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 20-year-old
19 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.73 points
- I don't think this has been chill filtered because my one has a lot of cask particulates and hazy bits of dust floating at the bottom of the bottle and I think it tastes absolutely amazing one of my favorite benriach's lots of flavor range and complexity very good for my taste buds and the 43% abv seems to hit perfectly for this dram.
- For this price and the age, the PLV is optimal. And if you still value good whisky craft, you have to try it. You can not do anything wrong here. Note: No sherry wonders and a little too little.
Balanced nose with apple Helene and berries with spicy vanilla. You think of smoke, but very far away. Then some herbs in the soup. That's the way to enjoy your nose.
Here happens less than the nose promises. Too bad. But still very much ingrained sweetness with woody spices and some candied caramel. OK, there are still small oranges with vanilla bars. Everything looks very harmonious. After work malt.
Medium to long but everything in the bitter direction. But not unpleasant. With peppery spices and still sweetly he says goodbye with his head held high. Good craft!
- Nose: Starts lighter with floral notes, then Vanilla,Marzipan, honey, some exotic fruit and wood, quite a bit of that here.
Palate: Vanilla, Apples dipped in honey, Mars Chocolate bars, nuts and spice.
Finish : Milk chocolate (Milka), Cocoa, wood and spice, with a wee sultana aftertaste , medium length
This is a very good whisky, offering something for everyone, fruit, wood, chocolate and a nice after taste. Again, at £51 it offers a nice price/quality ratio. I wish more 20 year old whiskies would be priced like that.
A good buy. no doubt.
- http://smad.se/provningar/Provning%2092%20BenRiach%20och%20GlenDronach.html Test 092: BenRiach and GlenDronach with Alistair Walker - 090822
The whisky tested: Glass 1 BenRiach 20Y, 43%; 739 kr 17 points
Glass 2 BenRiach 21Y Authenticus, 46%; 990 kr 51 points
Glass 3 BenRiach 12 Peated / Pedro Ximenez Finish, 46%; 579 kr 44 points
Glass 4 GlenDronach 12Y, 43%; 399 kr 4 points
Glass 5 GlenDronach 15Y, 46%; 529 kr 110 points
Glass 6 GlenDronach 18Y, 46%; 689 kr 98 points
Glass 7 BenRiach 31Y / 1978 Gaja Barolo, cask 4414, 51.2%; about 2000 kr 154 points
Testimonials Per Eriksson BenRiach 20Y, 43%
Scent: Sweetcorn, vanilla, sherry, Christmas cake, oak
Taste: Malt, sweetheart, honey, oak, figs, dates
Aftertaste: Ek, fig, honey, vanilla, tall
Score: 89 Testimonials Bernt Sjödin BenRiach 20Y, 43%
Scent: Vanilla tones, slightly spicy, honey tones, finely tuned
Taste: Vanilla tones, slightly fat, medium, slightly spicy and slightly sweet
Aftertaste: Medium with vanilla and slightly fatty and a little sweet taste; typical Speyside
- Blind tasting of Usquebaugh Society.
Wine gum, honey, raspberry, toffee and vanilla.
Toffee, raisin and chocolate. Quite oily.
Toffee and chocolate. Quite one-dimensional.
- Fruity aroma, pear, vanilla, plum jam, banana, malt, tar, cardamom and floral honey. Vanilla sweet taste, mint, white pepper, cardamom, walnuts, malt and bitter herbs. Medium long, fruity spicy and malty end
fruity - peach, vanilla and spices - cumminseed and white pepper
malty, spices, apple and some bourbon - corn
warming spices, herbs and vanilla
- It`s a nice dram, but it became very bad once water was added (imo).
Edit: Tasted a batch from 2011
- Nice in all circumstances.
Lemon, apple, honey.
Sweet and fruity, vanilla, citrus, caramel, pepper.
Relatively long, with a little spice and a bit of smoke.