Glenfiddich 19-year-old

Madeira Cask
Strength
22 May 2011 3:39 pm

Whisky Reviews for Glenfiddich 19-year-old

50 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.06 points

1. BenNevis scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Having only had the standard 12 , 14, 15s and the 18yo Glenfiddich's I wasn't expecting to much from this. That is probably why I wasn't disappointed. This is better than the standard range. I am not a fan of wine casks but I have to say this is very enjoyable. Madeira wine is more or less Sherry thats probably why .

2. ezioaudit scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

3. MGHOW scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

This is an incredibly odd Glenfiddich. There is some truly ancient Glenfiddich which comes in at the finish and which no one will ever taste otherwise. However the arrival is quite spirit forward and feels young but this is probably because of new oak. Thus could be an amazing whisky which is both old and young at the same time. The age of some of the whiskies blended here are well in advance of 19 years. I would say a good measure of 30 to 40 year whisky is blended here. I'm not kidding. don't know what to think. It's okay, dry and old but perhaps not entirely harmonious... It's a puzzler. Definitely the oldest GF I'll ever taste so good value on that account.

4. Johannes de Silentio scored this whisky 79 points Member Senior

Color: Amber

Nose: The wine is there from the start, and you can feel the difference from a standard sherry maturation. I find that strawberries keep jumping out in a way that I seldom find in sherry-matured drams, for instance. It's like you took a fairly standard Glenfiddich--honeyed, smooth malt--and gave it this fresh red berry character. Think of that and you'll get most of the way there on this one. There's also something sour going on in the background.

Taste: The 40% isn't doing this any favors here. It feels thin and generally under-powered from the moment it hits your tongue. Unless there's some solid complexity on the palate, I generally prefer my wine-seasoned whiskies to have a thicker, more coating mouthfeel. As for the taste, you continue to get more of the wine here. Not much else is coming through except for a surprisingly immature-tasting spirit. The nose was a bit more interesting, honestly.

Finish: Unfortunately, it meets the expectations the initial palate provides me: short.

Comments: I admittedly don't have a ton of experience drinking wine-matured or even wine-finished whiskies (excluding sherry, naturally). Most of the reviewers in whose opinions I place some stock are either skeptical or downright hostile to them. That gave me some pause as I tried this today, because I didn't want to simply parrot their views. However, I find myself in agreement: This feels disjointed, unintegrated, flimsy. It's not entirely unpleasant or anything of that sort, but there's nothing here to really recommend it either.

5. gaboruso scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

6. Andreas W. scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

7. markfeit scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

funky wood and sweet wine and grapes. A nice counterpart to the 19 red wine.

8. Moses scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Typical Glenfiddich character. Balanced and for the 40% he is great. I had tested this Madeira because I wanted to get the set. The PVL is a bit too high for me though. Is hard for me at the pain threshold. I decide that only after the complete rehearsal.
      Here the nose gets to feel the age. Oranges, apricots and a hint of lime behind them. Now a sweet vanilla with caramel and honey. I like the nose a lot.
    • Taste
      Sweet dark fruits with spicy sweet oak anticipate. Bright chocolate on apple Helene in berry compote. Sweet and almost floral, it shows good balance.
      Wonderfully thick it stays medium in the mouth. Sweet but quite dry with orange peel. Behind it the sweet vanilla. Really nice and soft. Nothing is pressing. He always goes.

9. valery77 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Fruit gum, vanilla, malt, sweet apples, tropical fruits, floral motifs, perfume notes, freshly sawn oak board, honey, new leather clothing, raisins, a hint of varnish and acetone. Toward the middle of the dram, light wine notes and cocoa powder begin to appear. 22
    • Taste
      Moderate, moderately dry. Pepper, malt, fudge, oak tannins, salted caramel. 21
      Long, smoothly fading, slightly astringent. Dominated shades of oak barrels, malt, a little bitter beer, at the end is added menthol chill. 22
      Very similar to the Bourbon brother, but, as for me, a little less balanced. The influence of barrels from the Madeira is almost not felt. Balance 21.
      Total 86

10. Alex Fridays scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Light, fruits, dates, raisin, cake, marzipan, prunes notes on nose.

Dates, apples, spices, roughness, raisin, sweet berries notes on palate.

Spices, chocolate, vanilla, light dryness, sweet fruits on long finish.