93.96/100
Oak cask
Strength
25 May 2008 5:06 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1966 DT

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.96 points

[April, 2018]  Sadly, a loved one passed away this night (R.I.P.) and the best way to salute a deceased person is to have his/her favourite dram while remembering all the good times we shared.  So I opened bottle no. 15 tonight (that I bought for 375 Euro in July, 2006).

This is the highest rated dram (97 points) in my books so far and I doubt this will change tonight with all the great memories that come up with it. If you can spare the money you should keep a bottle of the favourite drams of your loved ones (and best friends) just to ease the pain if you loose them.  Or even better:  Share this bottle with them in a precious moment and keep a sample for the calamity that hopefully never happens...
      The colour is auburn (what is very dark for a bourbon cask maturation) and the texture shows many small tears that slowly consolidate and build slow legs. The nose is a miracle in itself: I guess it is easier to tell the fruits that are NOT in there than the other way around. It is fresh and bold and one of the most complex I encountered so far (not just fruits, there are hints of peaty smoke, spices and herbs too).
    • Taste
      The taste is truly multi-layered on all these delicious fruits with barley sugars and honeys, spicy wooden notes, fine peaty-smokey flavours and some maritime aromas. You can chew this dram forever and still you will find something new. Water is not needed (it is a sacrilege to dilute this dram)!
      The dram arrives very charming in the mouth and instantly coats the whole of it with a creamy and slightly peppery feeling. Despite the 40 years in an oak cask there are no bitter tannins or astringent moments at all. The finish is very long and extends this beautiful taste into eternity. No distracting moments, all is in perfect balance and harmony. Some more spices pop up while all the fruits stay as strong as they were in the first taste. Really adorable!

2. Jackson05 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

I found it best with a few drops of Coke Zero. The mango and aspartame are a great compliment to one another... Of course I’m kidding, the devil himself would reject you.

The true value of samples like this is not in their quality (which is very high), but in the experience they bring. After having some golden oldies, you gain a very important perspective on what whisky was and a picture of how things evolved to where we are today. I can’t thank my friend enough for these samples, it’s been eye opening and a crucial part of my whisky journey. Sláinte.

So what’s the takeaway? Modern Bowmore may as well be a different distillery compared to this sample, which apparently tastes like hyper fruity Tomatin, in my limited experience. A blenders glass is a worthy investment to enhance the nose on some drams. Bowmore makes the best mangoes. Most importantly, whisky is best shared with friends; near, far or imaginary.
      My first thought goes to Tomatin, and not Islay. Extraordinarily fruity. All the fruits. In this order: Pressed mango and mango skin (how it’s slightly sappy), fresh guava juice, lychee jelly cups my Asian friends gave me as a kid, passion fruit concentrate, perfect honeydew. Those are the dominant fruits but oh, there’s so much more. Kiwi, mirabelle, cotton candy grapes... Toss all that with perfect mint. I love mint, and even more in whisky and this just is beautiful harmony of mint and fruit. No peat, at least it’s not here yet. It demands to be compared, so a 73 Speyside (118356) enters the fray, which I’ll tell you is no slouch, but it’s more on honey/mint and cannot touch the tropical aspects. I’m afraid half of this will evaporate up my nose. I’m drinking this in a 1920’s blenders glass and also a glencairn and it needs to be mentioned how helpful the blenders glass is. You get much more out of the nose. It’s 25% more expressive if I had to quantify it. 95/100.
    • Taste
      Slightly waxy on arrival, but only slightly. It’s not thin, but it’s also not heavy on the palate. It’s fresh. Unbelievably fresh. Mint is up here with a little resin, keeping the mango at bay before it takes over. The 73 Speyside is waxy, honeyed and fat; while this is quenching and precise. Apples to oranges. Both top notch. The 1976 Tomatin has the same quenching fruits, while not quite as impressive, it’s the closest I’ve come. Seriously even mangoes aren’t as mango-y. 94/100.
      To say fruity is just a blatant understatement. Quenching, concentrated tropical fruits. Sharp. So fresh! How is this 40 years old? A crescendo of mango that is frankly embarrassing. A mango lassie, hold the yogurt. So bloody long too. The best three chews of juicy fruit gum. The mango just dominates and that’s more than ok. It grows in the finish for almost a minute and then it hangs around a little less than forever. Only slightly minty now. I really don’t get peat - any. Honestly the closest whisky I’ve had to this is a 1976 Tomatin (84338), but that one doesn’t quite have the depth or harmony. Let’s test that memory, since this sample in itself is a special occasion, the 76 Tomatin enters the party. Yes! We are in the same ballpark! I’ll tell you these are not that dissimilar. No, in fact they are very similar. This was the most astounding display of mango I’ve ever had. Amazing. 97/100.

[July, 2007]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 141 that I bought for 305 Euro in July, 2006.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 95++.  My notes state a flabbergasting exotic fruity profile with almost all tropical fruits one can think of.  You wish to nose this forever and you dream of walking through a tropical botanical garden full of ripe fruits and beautiful flowers.  You have to push yourself to finally drink it and then all these wonderful flavours and aromas repeat themselves on the palate.  This all comes in different layers and waves, simply adorable.  I did not found any flaw or unwanted impression.  One of the greatest whiskies I have tried so far...