Bowmore 1966 DT

Oak cask
Strength
24 may 2008 11:55 pm

Whisky reviews for Bowmore 1966 DT

6 users have left 6 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 94.32 points.

1. dram-drinker scored this whisky 95 points Photo Moderator

Extremely fruity with a touch of smoke and austere citrusity and some costal notes - old Bowmore style - just delicious!
      Tons of tropical fruits, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, little papapya, dragon fruit, you name it, lots of austere and citrusy notes, grapefruit, lime zest, whiffs of peat and smoke, little tobacco, honeydew, vanilla - superb!
    • Taste
      Oily, creamy, very fruity, austere, grapefruit, subtle sweetness, more tropical fruits, fine peaty and smoke notes, little herbs, vanilla, pipe tobacco, little iodine, salty, honeydew, apple, limes, little minerals - excellent!
      Medium long, warm, fruity, austere, little zesty and herbal, honey - great!

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 6 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. wbarchive_970294 scored this whisky 96 points Expert Senior

All the tropical fruits you can imagine in a concentrated and intense form unlike anything I've experienced before. A unique Bowmore, simply a dream.

4. JoshNRW scored this whisky 96 points Expert Senior

Dirk buys a 60's Bowmore and this is my first. The fact that he is also 40 years old is of course an additional dream, but you don't notice the whisky. I don't have to think long here, because the nose already shows that I've never had a whisky like this in my glass.
      The first nose in Blenders is (still blind and without the knowledge of the distillery) simply: what the fuck? This is a bubbly fruit punch and I would never have guessed at 40 years because the aromas are still dancing so lively. Which flavors should I list here, I'll start with passion fruit, mango, physalis, even banana, peach etc. I didn't blindly tap on a Bowmore either - of course not! - but after 20 minutes I also have a slightly salty one here Note and that is the first hint of an Islay for me, because peat smoke is not to be found here.

This is the counterpart to my other highest rated whisky to date, Tomatin 1965 Jack Wieber, which is black. This one shines with brightness.
    • Taste
      Oh man, what can I say, I have to grin, because what is happening here on the palate is such a crazy interplay of bubbly fruit bowl, tropical, ripe sweetness and salty oiliness. Here is the first indication that it might actually have been stored in the barrel for more than a decade - but you would never come up with a full four decades in a blind tasting. And I would be disappointed with another malt because I expect and wish for a light oak note in old malts. It probably wouldn't go with this lively and fun-loving whisky here, so it's ok that the oak beckons cautiously from the background.
      The finish is long and mouth filling, again not bitter at all. The whisky sticks to the palate like a tropical fruit candy.

5. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Superb tropical fruits, also yellow fruits, herbal tea, very long multilayered finish, great complexity, excellent!

[November, 2020] Today is the birthday of a loved one so this is a perfect reason to open a bottle of her favourite drams, actually THE favourite dram. I bought this bottle (no. 12) for 345 Euro in June, 2006...

...and it was an excellent investment. This dram offers the best what both Bowmore and the 1960ies distillations can offer - a flawless and unbelievably complex profile that offers almost all delicious fruits available on this planet in a perfect wooden framework. Is this worth the extraordinary prices of today? Well, if you can afford it: Yes (compared to modern releases of that price range) and No (compared to other great drams of the past which cost still a fraction of this price, even today). But if you ever come across a Bowmore sample from the sixties - go for it!

[August, 2021] I raise another dram to Roland who passed away two nights ago - R.I.P.! Roland was one of the very first Germans who went into rare old single malt whiskies as early as the beginning of the eighties and he introduced me into this beautiful world of wonders with hundreds of excellent drams in his well-equipped cellar. May the gods who invented whisky be on your side now...

...and I salute with a head-to-head of the two sister cask of the 40 years old Bowmore vintage 1966 #3316 (WB id 2191) and #3317 (WB id 2192). This is absolute top-level stuff and in a direct comparison I prefer the nose of #3316 a little over #3317 while the latter offers both a better palate and finish but all is 95+points without any doubt from both my olfactory cells and taste buds. These drams are for all faithfully departed!
      The colour is russetmuscat and the nose offers this glorious all-fruits profile of mid-sixties Bowmore which simply is adorable. As if I walk across a tropical fruits market with all the stands made of old oak woods. I take a sniff here and there, all the fruits are ripe and juicy so it is hard to decide which one I like the most. This is one of these noses I could sniff forever and I have to push myself to take a first sip...
    • Taste
      ...which offers almost the same extraordinary profile on the palate. This is a fruit salad mixed out of all the most delicious fruits I can think of (both home-grown and exotic) with a clear dominance of tropical impressions. Forget about bar cocktails, this is the best-stirred cocktail of flavours my taste buds ever enjoyed. And it is well-structured by very appropriate wooden notes which are firm but never dominating. This taste is deeply layered and each layer is peeled off one after the other with maximum pleasure. Beside the fruits and wooden impressions there are waxes and vegetable oils, spices and herbs, earthy and nutty flavours and many more to explore. I wonder how many different flavours and aromas a trained nose can detect within this dram - it must be more than fifty, I guess. Fabulous.
      The initial mouthfeel is fantastic with a warming and creamy texture covering all of my mouth within seconds. No bitter or astringent moments at all (after 40 years of maturation, wow!). The finish is virtually endless, even fifteen minutes after I swallowed a sip I still can taste this beautiful profile without any distracting drying impressions. Right at the end, when almost all other flavours have vanished the barley sugars come out of the dark, and they are tasty too. Water is not needed, this dram is perfect as it is.

7. dutchdrammer scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

stellar fruit in this exceptional bowmore. Sixties Bowmore as it should be... 'kattepis' blue berries, brambles. The nose is spectacular, and the taste just as great (some other peerless 66's only score high on the nose and less on taste, not this one!)

KVK: 60207205