Macallan 25-year-old

Label
New Label
28 mar 2011 7:30 pm

Whisky reviews for Macallan 25-year-old

24 users have left 32 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 92.51 points.

1. zzqfyl scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

Macallan OB X 7,1947 onwards 12-30 years + Crabbie 30 year

Tasted in this order, scores for nose/palate/finish

12 year 40% sherry oak +/- 2018 - 83/85/83 - 6th
    12 year 43% matured in sherry wood 1990’s - 84/83/82 - 7th
    15 year 1947 80 proof sherry wood Rinaldi - 94/95/93 - clear winner
    15 year 1955 80 proof sherry wood Rinaldi - 92/93/91 - runner up
    18 year 1972 43% sherry cask - 92/92/91 - joint 3rd
    25 year bottled 2011 43% sherry oak - 90/91/92 - 4th
    30 year bottled 2020 43% sherry oak - 92/92/91 - joint 3rd
    30 year Crabbie IB 48.6% Refil oloroso sherry butt - 88/91/89 - 5th

For some unknown reason to me Macallan still are regarded as possibly the best whisky brand in the world yet in my humble opinion they have produced very little of note in the last 15-20 years.
    Their reputation of the older bottlings is well deserved as it tasted superb and ticked all the boxes of any whisky enthusiast but the more recent stuff is a pale, bland and at times pretty tasteless and bears no resemblance to the old stuff and then you have the premium stuff now like the 30 year that is £5000?
    That sort of price tag is an insult to me and should be for anyone else who knows anything about what a good whisky tastes like,the sample I got cost a bomb but I really wanted it for the h2h.

Regarding the tasting the new 12 year was pretty much where i thought it would be at around 84 points but the older 12 year i was expecting it to be so much better but alas it wasn’t and bear in mind at auction you can pay over £700 for that one litre bottle.
    The 1947 was a work of art and the best here, the 1955 was not far behind, the 1972, was much better than the last time I had and up a few points as was the 25 year which I have always had a downer on, tasting my last sample it was up 4 points higher and more enjoyable.
    I have to admit the 30 year OB was good but comparing it to a £500 whisky like the Benromach 35 year OB the Benromach is better in taste and obviously value for money.
    Finally the Crabbie surprised me as it was better than expected and not that far behind the 30 year OB bearing in mind it was a refill cask

I am not a fan of later stuff but the old stuff is excellent and often worthy of high status as this H2H proved,but not always mind I only scored the 1954 OB 80 proof 85 points and that was being generous.

3. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

Re taste for a H2H (no 6)
    This is much better than the last time (same bottle)
      A spicy and fruity nose to start with.
      Smells like bubblegum so no bad thing :)
      Rich sherry, dark fruit jam, hints of wood and some pepper spice.
    • Taste
      The mouth feels is decent but this is not a sweet one to start with and it also has a little woody bitterness, that said there is some depth of profile on show here.
      This one is juicy fruit various dark fruits and very juicy, black currant and Samson jams with a little raspberry and blackcurrant jelly.
      Quite long with the sweetness fading now but staying juicy with the fruit re emerging on the tail

4. vlad78 scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

When you understand the price of a drink, you expect something exceptional. And I expected more.
      The extra influence of oak is felt immediately. It becomes clear why it was reduced to 43 degrees. You can feel the skin, the dried rose, the vase of prunes and raisins, some dryness, but this oak dominates.
    • Taste
      The taste also feels the bitterness of oak, sweet tones of raisins and prunes do not create harmony, and a small degree makes the feeling watery, and the drink itself is not full-bodied.
      The astringency is superimposed on the sweetness of the drink and at the end there is a feeling of bitterness and watery.

5. sphinx scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

6. Seanzhang scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

7. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

not tasted this for a few years, this is for a sherried whisky h2h.
    Hopefully this will be better than the lack luster 1962 ob i have just had, saying that i only scored this 85 last time.
    The nose is nice enough, if a little manufactured and the palate is a little flat but on the plus side there is a nice depth of sherry on show and the finish is not that long either.

8. pianoman scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Begins reluctantly. Old raisins, orange jam, a hint of cinnamon and black peppercorns. Chestnuts and some hazelnut. Flowerhoney. A trace of dried wood.
    • Taste
      Sweet, slightly oily. Oranges, almonds, marzipan. Fir honey. Dark chocolate. Sweetened black tea, walnuts.

9. BenStanley scored this whisky 99 points Newbie

I will give it 99,
    At the same night we have tried 4 amazing whiskies: Oscuro,Mortlach 21, Balvinie 30, and Macallan 25 Sherry oak.
    This whisky left me speechless.
    The aroma is extraordinary.
    The taste is so distinctive(nothing like the 18y sherry oak)
    And the after taste really long and soft.
    My child will be 25 in a year... saved a bottle for his birthday

10. Bengez scored this whisky 97 points Newbie

Perfection, Of course there is no justice with buying Mac 25 at this price range, but really a taste will prove the most distinctive 25 Year Old whisky you will taste.
    Full body,Long finish.

11. bartek8989 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Nose fruit dark berries wild strawberries blueberry compote
    The taste of sherry punch, lavishness, woodiness simply splinters, light, hawthorn balloon in the background, subtle dryness, pomegranates, tropical fruit, fruit bomb, mega condensed at 43%, you can still feel a warm pleasant and long finish, you can't even smack, firecracker no longer 2 min after and then whose fruit;)

12. bartek8989 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Nose fruit dark berries wild strawberries blueberry compote

13. Hobbit scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

Aroma:
    Pooh, sherry of sheer excellency, without a touch of false note, every conceivable dark berry in every imaginable form, fresh, ripe, thickened in jam, as juice, crushed, dried, with the full raisin splendor, sweetness, oak, sweet orange, orange , sweetest, ripest figs fresh from the tree, hints of smoke which I perceive mainly as a spicy wood or leather, maybe a little milk chocolate, caramelized nuts and a lot of honey. Hariobo gold bears. Cream Liqueur. Ultimately, the nose is simply on 2 components: SWEET! and SHERRY! Of course, that makes the whole thing two-dimensional, but these 2 dimensions are great for that. Every sweetmouth and sherry whisky lover must have their mouth watering. He will hardly be able to control himself, finally to drink.

Taste:
    almost a bit lax for the intensity of the aromas in the nose, here I had expected more body, round and soft, sticky sweet with plenty of sherry, nuts, raisins, orange pulp, become stronger wood influence, leather, here less caramel, in the second sip again spicy and more wood,

finish:
    For a long time, the sherry and the sweet reverberate, here the wood has disappeared again. The finish suffers a little from the missing body in the taste so that only a little long "hang" remains. In further gulps a little more wood remains in the finish

Total:
    I do not find the overall picture quite harmonious. Nose and mouth / finish apparently do not play the same song or at least not the same pitch. It is certainly a very good whisky with justifiable 90 or over 90 points. But for me no 93 and for me also by no means worth 2 T €. Which, which Malt is that already. Still a great malt for a nice moment in life.

14. tomjcollins85 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

As with my other recent gripes with Macallan, this is just as uninspiring. I had a £45 bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask side-by-side with this, and I preferred the Balvenie, by a margin.

What I don't understand is why the prices are consistently so high for very average whisky, and why people are rating it so highly on here. Even Expert Seniors, with ratings of 97. I get it, you have a few bottles you want to flog in a few years, but come on!

15. wheatfield scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

Dark amber pour..."24" according to the label. Nose is roasted nuts, chocolate malt balls, and some zesty red berries, even lighter citrus fruits. Refined, attractive. Mouth is nice light smoke and roasted malts on the entrance, then bright fruits ranging from cherry paste to lime zest. Feel is on the thin side. There's a chocolate note too (malt balls). It would be nice to try these at cask strength. Nice stuff though, more heavy barrel influence than the younger standard offerings.

16. waal scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Macallan 25 years, 43% ABV, Sherry Oak https://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/21775/macallan-25-year-old #WagnerAlexTastingNotes Finally, I have the sample of Macallan 25yo in the glass. Over the holidays, my mailroom, which accepts packages from D for me, and I tell you - it was a hell of a long time until I finally could accept the 25 year old Macallan. ;) It is perfect to taste this malt today. The day was beautiful and luckily it has finally snowed here today in Tyrol. So I am in the best mood for this whisky. First impression / color / viscosity: In dark Parisian red is the single malt in my Nosingglas. ... and what can I say - he is stuck to the glass wall. If I waited until tears came down to form the windows, I would probably have died of thirst. Yes, the first impression is very good and promises to meet the big expectations. Aroma / Nose feeling: HOOONIIIIIIIG, is crazy. Who poured sweetened honey into it? For a guy like me who "suffers from sugar addiction" that's almost like manna falling from the sky! I want to dump the 2cl right now, immediately ex! The Vernuft leaves me but still enjoy the aroma. Is it still the "Nosen", which at least make up at least 75% of my enjoyment. The scotch is pleasing in the air. I feel it as very soft and mild. I am surprised because I had expected much more / stronger sherry influence. Instead, I have this in the form of berry jam, which is just waiting to be licked by the spoon. Next, I'm surprised how little wood is to smell. I had expected much more oak. This is neither positive nor negative, but I'm kind of confused ... The aroma of this malt is a wonderfully harmonious potpourri of caramelized nuts, chocolate, honey, vanilla and berries. A little clove and liquorice complete the picture. Something I miss the raisins, which I usually appreciate in ex-Sherry Malts. The longer I smell it, the stronger the fruitiness rises. The one will not be too complex, the other will love the harmonic. I stand for the latter! Taste / mouthfeel: Gorgeous, but again unexpected! The first sip on the glass is surprisingly very fruity and less "old" than I had thought. Despite the only 43% ABV, I also feel a slight tickling on the tongue. The sweetness of the aroma is not reflected in the way I thought. The malt is a bit more lively in taste and, as already mentioned, more fruity than the nose wanted to show me. The whole thing is a dream anyway. Imagine a chocolate bar, covered in fresh berries and sweetened with rock candy - that's the taste when the single malt lies on your tongue and slowly slides down your neck. Finish / aftertaste / Length: The finish is just as harmonious, although it is not very long. That's a pity. Well, when I try to taste the wood the strongest. If it was not very strong with the flavor and the taste, it comes now also to the validity. One should also know what the Macallan was for 25 years. Likewise I feel something floral. Also some anise - but a bit easy. The vanilla also draws attention here. Comment: Yes, a wonderful malt. Me too easy, but yes, he is (almost) perfect. Of course you can always complain and criticize, but there is nunmalgendewollmilchsau and one thing is certain - this Scotch convinced by its elegance, its harmony, its gentleness. I hope I have the opportunity to try it again someday! Broom and Jackson both mention smoke, at least in taste. I could not determine this "unfortunately". Points: 95/100 (for comparison: 18s -> 92/100; 12s -> 89/100)

17. Vince' scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Nose: Fruity-sweet, strong and above all spicy-old Sherry arrives, strong fruity orange / tangerine, slightly sultana, light oak note / leather note in the background, alcohol is not felt, a really pleasant nose. Elegant and round. Taste: Very soft and pleasant in the mouth, oily, fruity, spicy along with a pleasant tingling sensation in the mouth, quickly getting drier and the whole oral cavity is occupied. Less sweet than in the nose and a rather quick transition to the wood aromas: lots of oak, leather and dark chocolate and some coffee, long finish, warming. Conclusion: tasty, elegant, complex. Great overall package. A little more volume percentages would be good for the malt and the price is really a thorn in my side and is far from any logical pricing.

18. Whisky-Tester did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

19. VaryingViewpoint scored this whisky 88 points Photo Moderator

I'm not able to downgrade mine any further like linc as I never finished my bottle. It was so underwhelming in what I look for in a scotch that I gave the last 20% of my remaining bottle to my brother. Now he, like me, can say we've tried the pinnacle of the Rolls Royce of scotches. Oh well....

20. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

I am downgrading this to 85 points, i did say it was smooth but the more i have the less i like it.

21. GLEN MAUR scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

22. RL_whisky scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

• Taste

[January, 2017]  A typical Macallan from the end of the "Paxarette" era, not very unique and rather one-dimensional.  I have tasted a lot of old Macallans, but this is average stuff max.  Bottled at a time when Macallan already had serious stock problems (as they reduced their production significantly during the whisky crisis of the eighties).  No wonder they had to bottle and sell these uninspiring casks instead of cherry-picking the best from a large stock.

But why the hell people buy this stuff at such outrageous prices.  You can get three to five bottles of other really delicious old whisky for this price at online auctions.

24. Andytka3 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

N-
    Strong black tea notes, which gives the liquid an arising green smokes
    character. Mellow, warm chocolate fondue, eucalyptus, fruit jams,
    treacle and sugared coated dried fruits. Hoped it has a bit more kick
    to it. At 43%, hmmm, mind you, it is just good and far from great. P- Dry sherry notes with good tannin coat. Ripe mango with some sours
    tinge to it. Some thin black coffee lurking with velvet and mature wood
    oiliness.

F- Long, and smooth. Pepper, ginger and raisin. Sticky medicinal waxy wood with return of black tea again.

— at The Whisky Bar, Kuala Lumpur.

25. maltaholic scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

No doubt a dream of a whisky - old, heavy, round and woody, paired with sweet sherry. 2017 can come ...
      Soft, old, ripe sherry smell. Old, damp wood, citrus, caramel, vanilla. Thick streaks on the glass.
    • Taste
      Oh, yes, it tastes ripe, old, woody. If the vanilla were a bit more intense, it would be very close to the Yamazaki 25. But I love this independent character. Something spicy over time, warm and cozy, perfect for the cold season.
      Long, sweet finish, the vanilla is now very dominant. Gorgeous!

26. VaryingViewpoint scored this whisky 88 points Photo Moderator

I’ve had this open for almost two months now and I’m 2/3 through it. Although oxidization has helped, and this is a pretty good scotch, it’s also somewhat underwhelming, to say the least! The finish is medium at best.

Upon having my first dram, it was very restrained, silky, refined and at the same time it felt over engineered. This would be a whole lot better if Macallan would not have brought the abv down to 43%. But at the end of the day, based on my experience with the more recent releases of Macallan (in the last 5-8 years) IMHO the critics are right in describing "The Macallan: The Rolls Royce of Single Malts”.The reason I agree with this statement is because as an analogy it’s very apropo. In a nutshell, what does driving or being driven in a Rolls Royce feel like anyways (wouldn’t know, but I can imagine). What I can ascertain is that it’s as close to an experience of sitting in your living room while moving; very comfy, cushiony, relaxing, divine, soft, non jarring, smooth, easy to drive. All in all non-challenging in anyway shape or form. About as far away from the true feel of a car that one can get. And that somehow is the metric in high achievement of what a Rolls Royce is. Well, ditto for the Macalllan 25yo and most of the rest of their line (excluding their higher abv releases).

If I were to buy an over priced over engineered car, I would prefer a Lamborghini. I would want the experience to be memorable in a way that feels more like a sports car with power that is exhilarating and refined on many different levels (not just smooth). Maybe I just don’t get excited with a umbrella being deployed at a push of a button (as in a Rolls Royce) when I’m more inclined too feeling the power of the engine and all that comes with it in a Lamborghini.

This Macallan is a solid 89 after the oxidization has taken hold (first dram out of a newly opened bottle 87). Have had many a bottle that delivers more on many levels and at a 1/10 of today’s asking price for the Macallan 25yo. The main reason I can say that, is, within 40-50min after my last sip, it’s forgettable, very easily. Many a bottle I’ve had can stay with me overnight and into the next day, still thinking about what a dram that was and all it’s complexities.

Somewhat disappointing, over hyped and over rated IMHO.

27. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

A further tasting and my score has dipped to 88, the reason for this is that at 43% it lacks power, it is still a  high quality malt but at around 48% this would have been much better.

28. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

29. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

Almost too good and manufactured but it is hard to be critical when something is so smooth on the palate.

Tastes like 30-35% because od its smoothness.

Difficult to score because I like my whisky to challenge the palate more than this.
      Date, walnut, prune, over ripe dark plum, black cherry, dark toffee and a touch of spice that reminds me of hot mulled wine.
    • Taste
      Very good is my first thought, I initially felt it was a little thin but it coats the tongue nicely. Nice rich notes of rum, toffee, dark fruits and Christmas spices (mulled wine again and punch)
      Good length and very smooth

30. Alex scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

compared with the version of 2005/2006, this new bottling tastes quite different, more on sweet toffee-praline and cappuccino instead the orange-chocolate profile of the older version, which I do prefer. Overall it lost the classic style, is less complex and tastes more "modern" and designed, simply not as good as the previous version which I have on 94 points.

31. Furtia scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

32. Drochaid scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

Producer`s Tasting Notes

Colour: Rich Mahogany.

Nose: Citrus balanced with cinnamon, sherry and wood smoke.

Palate: Full and rich, with dried fruits and wood smoke.

Finish: Long, with dried fruits, wood smoke and spice.

KVK: 60207205