Lagavulin 1991

Strength
Label
Single Cask
Bottled for
Hong Kong Whisky Fellows, House Welley Whisky Bar, Christoph Kirsch,Sebastian Jaeger, Boris Borissov
04 aug 2022 9:47 pm by Malzbrenner

Whisky reviews for Lagavulin 1991

18 users have left 19 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 92.51 points.

1. dram-drinker scored this whisky 91 points Photo Moderator

Starts really good on the nose, is fading away quite rapidly, good on the palate but also lacking a bit of oomph, getting weaker in the finish - overall very good and drinkable
      Intense, dried and cooked fruits, plums, figs, old books and stamps, old wooden cabinet, tobacco, brown sugar, toffee, chocolate, little peat, ham and smoked bacon - very good!
    • Taste
      Oily, liquorice, dark honey, peat, cigar smoke, tobacco, spices, subtle sweetness, dark fruits, jam, tofee, spices, some herbs, sherry wood - still good
      Medium long, warm, peat, hints of leather, herbs, smoke, woody

2. DawidAC scored this whisky 94 points Expert Junior

3. DawidAC scored this whisky 94 points Expert Junior

4. whiskyclick scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

N
    a bit sharp nose at the beginning - needs some air, salty, elegant peat, old style spirit, vanilla sugar, smoked ham, coastal, leather, kelp marmalade, dried dark fruits, dried berries, a bit of dark wax, herbal honey, wood polish, iodine, very vivid for a 30y, deep and rich nose overall

P
    a bit watery, old style spirit, light peat, dark chocolate, dried berries, mild peat smoke (very well balanced), honey sweetness, dried seaweed, coastal salty seabreeze, light wood spice, over brewed green tea, watery at the end

F
    long, salty, coffee beans, over brewed green tea, oak spice, light peat, apricot pit

A really amazing dram. We can't believe this is bottled in 2022. Usually sherried whiskies bottled in recent years are full of sulphure, but this one is not even close.. Well balanced, complex and delicious.
    Score 9/10

5. Mitswhisky scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

2 Million Bucks later and a Sixpack of Lagavulin for free was the price for a 95 Points rating.
    However no one knows who I am but believe me I am the best whisky taster and worst notes writer!!
    Here is what I have to write about this Lagavulin ;-)

Awesome stuff!
    Very well integrated sherry and still an astonishing distillery character after 30 years.
    For me there is a lot of the smokeyness left which is sadly often gone after 30 years in sherry.

Typical Lagavulin: iodine, herbal, smoke, maritime breeze. The sherry is awesomely well integrated not too much just perfect.
    There are also citrus fruit zests.
    Smoked ham and after a while the crust of Bavarian roasted pork.

This one is so much fun! I could use another 10cl for tasting purposes… just had 2cl for 2ppl.

6. Horror_Vacui scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

Nose:
    Heavy smoke, slightly tarry. Lapsang Souchong ("smoky tea"), old leather furniture from a fireplace room. Bacon Jam. A deep, dark fruitiness of plum, cherry compote. blackberries and dates. A light menthol note, at times the scent reminds me of an old Armagnac (Domaine de Bellair). Breathing air brings many subtle aromas to light, black tea, dark currant.

Mouth:
    A rather gentle entry, slightly creamy but also a little watery, especially after some time in the mouth.
    Spicy Oak, Sweet Berries and Cherries, Bacon Jam. Rather old-school sherry notes, some tobacco, hazelnut. Well balanced between sweetness and spiciness. smoked bacon. Some peppermint in the background. dark chocolate.

Finish:
    A long, spicy-sweet finish. Slightly greasy notes also in the finish. Subtle mint, chocolate.

93/100

Conclusion:
    Fantastic on the nose. The distillate is still surprisingly easy to recognize and is not overwhelmed by the barrel or the pre-allocation. A little weaker in the mouth, but at a high level.
    Overall, a sherry profile that I know from older bottlings and that harmonizes very nicely with the distillate.

7. Artus scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

Wow, what a great dram, highly recommended!

8. WiltChamberlain scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

9. DistilLarry93 scored this whisky 96 points Expert Junior

The expectations and the price of the 2cl sample in the Glencairn in front of me are high!
    I've been a Lagavulin and especially Islay fan for many years and I gave myself the sample for a special, personal occasion.
    Half an hour after pouring, an unbelievable smell of old oak with perfume-like, sweet notes of sherry unfolds in the glass. The alcohol is perfectly integrated and carries the aromas perfectly! It's going very well...
    The Lagavulin is very pleasant on the palate, mild, elegant but powerful. The combination of sherry influence and peat smoke that Lagavulin is so well known and loved for harmonises with the old Optimal. This is where the smoke comes in, which I couldn't perceive so clearly in the almost perfect nose.
    Definitely one of the best - no, THE best whisky I've had in my mouth so far!
    While taking notes (which I usually don't) I savor the finish of this massive single cask whisky. Aged leather, antique furniture, hints of peat smoke and sweet woody notes complete this great experience.
    Of course, you have to be either rich or just a little too crazy about whisky to do something like this, but if you have the opportunity to taste this whisky, take it! I would spend almost 100€ for the 2cl again at any time, but 4000+ for a whole bottle would be simply impossible for me... But it remains a special, unforgettable dram and moment!
    Slàinte and many thanks to SimpleSample for the sample!!

10. JNuyts scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

11. Flou scored this whisky 94 points Expert Junior

Today I have a whisky in my glass that is usually out of my financial league. A Lagavulin whose key data should make any Lagavulin lover dream: 30 years of aging in a first-fill cask aging a blend of Oloroso and PX wines, 318 bottles filled at 44.3% cask strength alcohol content. This cask was selected as particularly unique as part of Diageo's Casks of Distinction program, promising the highest quality and aging close to perfection. Tasting such a whisky is something very special for me and I'm excited to see what awaits me.

The whisky is really oily in the glass, the wonderful dark walnut color corresponds to what I was hoping for after 30 years of aging in a first-fill sherry cask. I have another glass on the table, filled with a dram of Lagavulin Distillers Edition from the bottling year 2021. Despite the coloring, this is much lighter and has a red tinge, but it also looks wonderfully oily in the glass.

In the nose then the class difference becomes more than clear. I find the Lagavulin DE very successful in terms of aroma. This powerful, aromatic Lagavulin smoke, successfully accompanied by PX sherry aromas, plus the Ricola herbal candy notes that spread like a soft carpet on which orange zest and lime zest are scattered...the memory of a slightly damp fir forest floor and a slightly maritime scent of the sea, I really like the Lagavulin DE on the nose. However, what the 30-year-old Lagavulin releases in terms of aromas is very impressive and shows the Distillers Edition how adults play the game: It's unbelievable how full and complex the whisky fills the nose and how wonderfully all the aromas are interwoven. The smoke is more subtle and envelops the other flavors like a mist. I can feel the wood in the nose much more clearly, but I also expect that after such a long maturation. I'm often a little picky about wood notes, I don't like it when wood smells too fresh or like the Bauhaus wood department. What I'm offered here is exactly to my taste! I have to think of an old warehouse, of ancient, dusty wooden furniture in Grandma's attic, of old dusty books with leather covers. But everything is wonderfully integrated and nothing stands out in a dominant or disturbing way. This is complemented by dark fruits such as blackberries and blueberries, a light sweetness with apricot jam and a hint of wood-ripened grape notes, which I am more familiar with from old cognacs. But the whisky is not a sweet fruit bomb! Everything seems harmonious, settled, very good and matured for a long time with a high complexity and with a depth that is rarely found in a whisky these days. You keep discovering new flavors in this whisky. Right now I'm thinking about the ginseng in one of my favorite Korean dishes, when it's been cooked so long that it's lost its spiciness and only has that fantastic, tart ginseng note. Now it's time to taste the whisky. From the smell I can personally say for me as a conclusion: Top class! The Glengoyne 28 may have played in such a league for me, although the Lagavulin seems even more complex and multi-layered here.

The whisky is very smooth, oily and soft in the mouth without being watered down. But due to its low alcohol content, nothing stands out here, everything is elegant and at the same time the flavors gently take hold of the mouth and my head cinema rattles straight away. The smoke is now a bit more dominant than it was in the nose, without suppressing the other notes in any way. In the mouth, too, everything is harmonious, wonderfully interwoven, I don't even know what to think of first. The campfire on a beautiful autumn day, a BBQ where we coat the ribs with a honey glaze and then dip the meat in smoky BBQ sauce, I can clearly feel the ginseng and I love this taste! It is not for nothing that the Korean dish mentioned above is one of my favorite foods. The fruit is present, but plays more of a supporting role in this composition of smoke, herbs, ginseng, wonderful old oak, old leather and tobacco. I have to think of dry forest soil and Ricola herbal sweets. Hints of really good liquorice are recognizable (not these Haribo snails, but high-quality liquorice), spicy maple syrup provides a subliminal but very pleasant sweet note...I'm thrilled! Nevertheless, I have to say that I would have liked to try the whisky with a 3% higher alcohol content. That would probably have been difficult to top. But that's also the only small point of criticism, that it lacks a bit of power. But I still have to make it clear here: In contrast to many other whiskys with an alcohol content of less than 45%, this whisky does not appear watered down! Rather, the whisky is incredibly gentle and soft, but due to the long maturation, the flavors are still intense and that is the big difference to young whiskys, which were simply diluted too much with water.

The finish is quite long, but that's what I expected after such a long and successful maturation. The smoke plumes slowly decrease and fade in the form of a delicate mist that continues to envelop all other aromas. I still have this wonderful wood in mind, the old wooden furniture in the dark attic, the old and dusty books, the ginseng has for the most part already said goodbye and leaves a small farewell, the fruits have already disappeared but will be with this aromatic Interplay not missed. I have to reiterate here how incredibly aromatic and beautifully woven everything is. I've had many whiskys that have reminded of smoke, old wood and spice in the finish...but not in this quality. It's hard to describe, but nothing is missing here, the finish doesn't get boring or flat, everything is complex and pleasant and incredibly tasty.

Well, what can I say about that? This whisky is awesome! I congratulate everyone who is lucky enough to be able to drink such a whisky. It was really an experience: this complexity and depth, this harmony and quality of the individual components... if this whisky had a slightly higher alcohol content, then it would be the almost perfect whisky for me. A big compliment to everyone involved in this bottling and a big thanks again to Sebastian who made this sample available to me.

I give it a good 94/100 points and so this is the best rated whisky I have ever tasted.

12. Cheesehut-Fellows scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

I am not writing this because of stats or price. This is simply a stunner. More detailed notes follow on our pages.
    What a Dram!

13. GipsyBruder scored this whisky 93 points Member Junior

YOQUIEROWhisky with 81 Points

Someone has too much self-loathing ^^

14. BastianSkotzek scored this whisky 97 points Expert Senior

Well, I'm a Lagavulin fan...
    30 years sherry bottled as a single cask - that's just a dream!
    ... albeit simply grossly overpriced!

15. leapfrogboi scored this whisky 93 points Member Junior

Lagavulin was never something I'd crave or go crazy after because many Lagavulin I have tried, mainly more modern releases, are somewhat similar, lacking that "blow my mind" moment. However, with this bottle, it was eye-opening just to gauge everything this bottle had to offer. A delight in a bottle is what this is.

The founder of House Welley Bar previously bottled this Lagavulin 1995 23YO Casks of Distinction, would love to know how they’d compare side by side.
      Black currant, red dates came on the first sniff and took the stage from there, with ginseng and dried almonds in the background. Transitioning between foreground and background, these two profiles are immensely playful within the glass. With a bit more time, the signature Lagavulin meat and tar became more apparent, whilst other profile intensifies. The black currant that was there became black currant jam, along with some apricot and wood influences, reminding me of Chinese sour prune soup.

Even after finishing the dram the nose continues to linger within the glass, remarkable.
    • Taste
      With 44.3% ABV I really wasn't expecting much, but this bottle still delivered all it could with 44.3%.

First impression was how light and gentle it is in the palate, oh how finely aged this is! Hints of Pu'er tea with the gentlest strand of smoke and peat. Not as sweet as the nose would suggest as there are more wood and some apricot in the back. With some time, classic sherry dried nuts came to play, again in a very gentle form, with cedar wood and ginseng rounding out the palate.
      The finish was unexpectedly long for a 44.3% dram! Gone are the fruits, but here at the finish, a great mixture of smoke, peat, and wood that screams Islay. Not one element overpowers another, in great harmony it completes this dram. What a delight.

16. whiskydramo scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Surprisingly complex and balanced while harmonising sherry, fruits and the Lagavulin characteristics.
      Ginseng, slow-roasted beef filled with lots of raisins from all directions. A bit of earth and some beetroot sneaked in, followed by lightly burnt hay. Baked taro, barbecued mushrooms and eggplant with a few brushes of honey. After a while in the glass, you'd get sticky sweet fruits like apricots, fresh grapes and cherries in a slightly condensed form. Smoke arose, the source of it seemed to be some long-aged dried fruits, it was accompanied by preserved vegetables, rubber tyres and fresh blueberries with skin. After a sip, more cigarettes and bamboo baskets. The nosing was balanced and well-intertwined, and every time I picked up the glass, the first wave of aromas was different. It also reminded me of the old sherried and even reminiscences of cognac.
    • Taste
      Bright fruits, as unexpected as they could be. Raspberries, grapes, some blueberries, followed by a tiny amount of beetroot that's also vaguely rubbery. Extremely mild black peppers, grape skin and seeds, as well as a bit of plastic. If you kept chewing, there were maple syrup, earth, dried mushrooms, and burnt cinnamon. And eventually, a mist of dirt, cement with smoke on a construction site.
      Strong chayote, special indeed. Wax gourd rind, smoked seaweed, pepper powder, burnt wood and greasy grilled pork belly until you realised the lingering smoke and dried black tea leaves, not to mention the hints of cigarette ash.

17. marcolhn scored this whisky 95 points Newbie

Not a fan of Lagavulin but this one is stunning. A well balanced Sherry peat whisky.
      Very elegant, clean Sherry nosing, sweet bacon
    • Taste
      Elegant and smooth but very complex. Barbecue sauce, bacon, berries, ginseng.
      Low abv, but the smoky finish last so long

18. 11161661s scored this whisky 95 points Expert Junior

A marvelous sherry Lagavulin which is beyond my imagination. Glad to have the opportunity to try this rare & excellent Lagavulin COD in HK!
      Elegant peat smoke! Bacon, tobacco, matchwood. Alternated with clean sherry note, old furniture, leather, berries.
    • Taste
      Blowing my mind with its complexity. The peat is unexpectedly prominent for a 30 years old isaly malt. Silky smooth with barbecue sauce, campfire wood, apricot, liquorice, dried berries, leather, cloves.....it just keep evolving! I'm sure I could not get a full profile of it through a half shot.
      Long with ash & herbal notes.

19. jokerhoi scored this whisky 92 points Expert Junior

like drinking an old g&m strathisla sherry bottle with hints of smoke and elegant peat, finish with smoke and red fruit (starberry/cherry)

KVK: 60207205