Starward 2016

Market
be Belgium
02 jun 2022 10:57 pm by markjedi1

Whisky Reviews for Starward 2016

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.45 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Apera

I'm a fan of Starward, that's known. And when I got the chance to buy a barrel a few weeks ago, I didn't let it pass me by. I am very grateful to Jeroen from the well-known online whisky shop The Bonding Dram that he thought of me to step in as a partner. Very excited! You should know that Starward used a first fill Apera barrel from McWilliams for this single malt. McWilliams has been producing Apera, the Australian version of sherry, made from the Tinta Roriz, Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca grape varieties for years. The barrel – number #1855 – was filled in May 2016 and when bottled yielded only 222 bottles at a cask strength of 59.3%. Fun fact: when we tasted a sample taken on October 12, 2021, the strength was 57.1%. Yes, in Australia the strength increases!

Starward's DNA is unmistakable and is greatly complemented by a very active Apera cask. Think cherries, dry wood and herbal notes, counterfooted by raisins, pineapple on the barbecue and some dried banana. Something of cake on Sunday morning. Buttered toast. Hint of milk chocolate with almonds. Raisin bread. This makes me happy.

Very oily, almost viscous. Pure indulgence in the mouth. The fruit slowly but surely evolves from the dried to the tropical variety, flanked by a heartwarming spiciness of the oak. And no, it requires absolutely no water, despite the high alcohol percentage. Talk about perfect integration. Midpalate are mainly overripe cherries and raisins that capture your attention.

The finish is long, spicy, tropical and sweet at the same time.
    Oh, my, this is divinely delicious. The choice was therefore quickly made. Only the wait took far too long, but well – it had to come from far away. Jeroen and I only have 222 bottles, but one of them can be yours for only 95 EUR. You are welcome.

2. ea teasse scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

When you think of whisky, you don't immediately think of Australia. And yet... This Starward is one to be reckoned with. Due to the climate in Melbourne, the maturation in the barrel is faster, so that after 5 years you can already speak of a long maturation. Think for example of Kavalan or Amrut, which have to deal with a similar climate and you rarely see old bottlings from those distilleries, where 20/30/40 year old Scotch whisky is not uncommon.

This Starward has matured in Apera barrels. Apera is the Australian equivalent of Sherry. Hence the red color of the whisky.

Personally, I consider this a sipper and not a drinker. By that, I mean, it's one to dissect and enjoy, rather than empty in an evening of board games and chips.

Dried red fruits, fresh citrus, mango, lime zest, spicy herbs, rich chocolate and caramel notes, nuts, ... it all has its place. The great thing about this is that everything is very nicely balanced. The fresh fruit and fruit juice does not stand out above the dried fruit and vice versa. The spiciness is prominent, but not at the expense of the rest of the flavor palette.

I can expand on the aftertaste, but I like it long, varied and very tasty.

Currently still available. There are only 222 bottles of it.

Get it while you can. It's really worth it.

3. Foamy scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

Without water it is a bit harsh for my personal taste.
    I'm not a big fan of high alcohol %. But that's off course my personal taste.
    But with a decent splash of water it opens up. In fact it doesn't just opens up, it changes, it shows it's full colors in all it's glory.
      Red fruit, chocolate, nice sweet and juicy sherry notes, tropical fruit, wood
    • Taste
      a nice balans between the sherry notes, the wood spices, cherry's, chocolate, mon cheri.
      With water it's suprisingly smooth and balanced.
      not too long, but alsno not drying or harsh. it lingers a bit on the sherry, chocolate notes and leaves you with a smooth aftertaste.

I must say. I thought this whisky would have been harsh, spicy, hot, drying and burning.
      But (with water!) it is just a very nice easy going tasty dram.
      I'll pour me another one. And I'll try to find another bottle.
      Good stuff!

4. Dionysus scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

5. JimJaws scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

I was a bit skeptical at first but I have to say it's a great whisky. Markjedi1's description is pretty accurate (I just couldn't do without water). Was very well received at a tasting. Hats off, great barrel.
    • Taste
      A little bit spicy, but you can get a grip on it with a few drops of water.
      Long, oily, awesome...

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.