- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Adelphi (AD)
- Bottling serie
- Stated Age
- 31 years old
- 1st fill Sherry
- Number of bottles
- 46.5 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 18 Mar 2011 11:07 am
52 × in wishlist
142 × member ratings
162 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 1979 AD
20 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.40 points
- Nose: complex with hazelnut, coffee, some leather and maybe tobacco and hints of peach and strawberry. A whiff of mint as well. After a while some milk chocolate as well.
Taste: at first a little less complex and much sweeter as well. Lingering on the fruity side. Very pleasant mouthfeel.
Finish: pleasant again, mouthwatering but not too strong. Fruity notes leaning towards jam.
Very nice example of Sherry finished Bunnahabhain.
- Great dram showing the best of both age and sherry notes, wonderful complexity without being too sweet.
Furniture polish, coffee, toffee, figs, raising, dates, leather, a bit of tobacco, apple juice, even a bit of pineapple juice. Some mint, dried herbs, and later caramel shows up as well.
One to nose for lengths of time.
Good, strong coffee. Wait, this is whisky, isn't it? Right here the first impression is just a strong espresso with a bit of sugar and then spiked with alcohol. What we call a coffee punch in Denmark, but admittedly much better and a lot more complex. A tiny note of peppermint peeks out. Second chew brings more spices, cinnamon, pepper, some dried herbs, more oak and wood spices, lots of barley, and the coffee is still going strong. Fig jam as well. Third chew brings orange oils, dark chocolate, again with the coffee and peppermint, really a wonderful mix and a great balance. Perfect if you like your sherried whiskies showing complexity and not too much sweetness.
Espresso with a bit og sugar while nibbling on a piece of dark chocolate. Still some orange oils showing, and a bit of mint. Very nice. Long and smooth, with no detours.
- Finest aged sherry from Bunnahabhain that I every had and probably actually the best Bunna I ever had. Very generous from Mark K. to share with our club. this one an experience and easily competes with the best from Glendronach, Macallan or Glenfarclas.
- Also too bitter for my taste, but still a good quality malt with subtle notes but the are well integrated.
Subtle sulfur, the way like expired, slightly acidic coffee, well integrated, dates, camphor, cumin, maggi, nutmeg, pencil lead, figs, dark malt, old wooden box, furniture polish, dark chocolate
Lots of dark chocolate on the go, coffee, lead, autumn leaves, cocooning heather, dates, almost like old, dry sherry, no whisky, chestnut, camphor, saffron, anise
Very bitter, thin, but long, coffee, lavender heather
- Notes from a blind mystery tasting. Guessed it is 20-25 years old so a bit short there.
pungent, aromatic, sulphur - seems 53% on the nose
tannins, plenty of wood elements
- About the color you have to say nothing, an extremely round and complex whisky. An Adelphi bottling "at its best".
Dark fruits, raisins, cocoa, dried fruit, sherry, beeswax, nectar, old plank flooring, very balanced and round
Harmony Pure! Among the already existing fruits is orange. A light but pleasant bitterness on tap. An extremely balanced taste, very fine.
Medium long, pleasantly sweet.
- Heavy sherry bomb but round and sweet - fantastic!
Intense, full bodied sherry wood, acacia honey, coffee, toffee, dark and dried fruits, plums, dates, hints of solvent - great!
Little punchy, oily, creamy, mellow, more dried fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, cooked oranges, good sweetness, good oak wood, pines, little tannic but not bitter, more on caramel, toffee, espresso, hints of rubber - very good
Medium long, warm, still creamy, little sweet, dark chocolate, not drying
- The best Bunna I have had so far!
I am not sure if the distillery character really shows up in the malt but the sherry influence baaam! (especially the nose is so great you could smell it forever)
The taste has the perfect balance of fruitiness and sherryness. Some nuts but then immediately oranges, grapes & plums. And also the finish has this decent espresso flavour and is just leaving a big smile on the face behind.