Kilchoman 2013

Market
de Germany
04 may 2022 9:21 pm by laph1

Whisky reviews for Kilchoman 2013

3 users have left 4 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.88 points.

1. Archer scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

For me, the finish in the mezcal barrel affected the nose more than anything else. However, not necessarily positive. While slightly immature on the nose, the palate and finish assures it isn't in the end.
      Slightly pungent nose, pear sauce, quince jelly, lemons, milk chocolate, negligible amount of smoke.
    • Taste
      Soft attack, creamy, caramel, vanilla and honey. Here the finish in the Mezcal barrel is much less noticeable than on the nose. Restrained peat smoke, dried seaweed, salt.
      Medium length with salted caramel, liquorice, peat smoke. Makes up for a lot here from the nose.

2. martinseco scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

After I had recently drunk the last sip of my bottle from the sister cask 726/2013, I was now looking forward to the first dram of my bottling from cask 723/2013. Both barrels were filled on October 14th, 2013. It is interesting that the whisky of this year's bottling, which matured more than 8 months longer, contains 2.7% more alcohol despite its higher age. Can the Angel's Share vary so much from cask to cask in such a short space of time? In this case, the restraint of the angels is fine with me - it gives me more leeway with water, depending on how I feel on the day. But this drop is also a pleasure undiluted. Compared to the sister cask that was bottled last year, the herbal-earthy notes of the Mezcal come into their own a little better here.

3. MaroFF scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

I am pleasantly surprised not so much by the aroma of this whisky, but by its taste. Sweet, a lot of smoke, citrus, herbal notes. Alcohol, despite 54.8%, was completely undetectable. Cool for me.
    I made my rehearsals twice. The first time in the evening around 9 PM, the second time in the morning of the next day. While the evening meal was, say, medium to me, in the morning, with the rising sun, this taste even intensified with each sip.
      intense, sweet, peaty, earthy, cigarette smoke, red forest berries, blackberries, the end gently turns from suede to the aroma of bread crust
    • Taste
      sweet, honey, toffee, sugar syrup, herbal syrup, citrus, lemon peel, green banana, ripe cherries in the tip, slightly salty with an admixture of cough syrup
      long, sweet, mineral, slightly biting tongue, slightly bitter end with charcoal and lots of herbs.

4. martinseco scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

One thing is particularly striking about this bottling series "An T-Earrach 2022": the reluctance of the base members to buy. The bottles have been offered in the shops for almost 3 weeks, but have hardly been ordered. It's unusual that we haven't seen a single review on our forum after this time!
    This is a symptom of the price level, which is now significantly too high. Compared to the "An Samhradh 2021" series, the called prices for "An T-Earrach 2022" are 10% to 15% higher for bottles of comparable age. I don't want to go along with that either, at least not with such young whiskys of 7 to 10 years.
    Since my bottle with the Mezcal finish from barrel 726/2013 isn't completely empty, I don't want to open my expensive new acquisition from barrel 723/20213 just yet. The only nominal difference is that the new bottling has been finished in mezcal cask for 8 months longer (14 months vs. 6 months) - so will be a bit different. But I can contain my curiosity.

KVK: 60207205