- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Calculated age
- 12 years old
- Double matured in Moscatel Cask
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml 1000 ml
- C-si; 6-470
- Added on
- 04 Jan 2011 4:37 am
11 × in wishlist
73 × member ratings
179 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1997
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.96 points
High viscosity. Comes down very slow in the glass. The light peated smoke is the first that jumps out the glass. Sweet fruits and acacia honey with a little nutty touch.
Thick and rich but going in very smoothly because the oily character that's not far away. A peaty (not too much) and spicy taste with some honey sweetness fighting against the bitterness trying to get the upper hand.
Medium and dry finish with some bitter notes staying behind too long.
- Very good light and soft whisky that is not too smoky. Dry, elegant, warming and in the middle also a pleasant sweetness. At the end some citrus and again very dry. Can only recommend the whisky. However, the current price (€ 90+) is already very intense.
- Consistency: Medium-thick lip, with strong drops that drain quickly, slightly oily. A light CI, which I liked a lot. Well balanced from the nose to the finish that is true, but unfortunately also without surprise. A whisky for after dinner, to end the evening comfortably.
Great! Pleasant smoke, not too strong, no stinging, very fresh, slightly vinous, grapefruit, citrus notes, roasted aromas, some Mediterranean notes in the background. Heated, the smoke comes out clearly.
soft, but rather fluid, not quite so oily, as the optics shows. Slightly salty, the smoke is more subdued than in the nose, slightly vinous aromas, becomes drier over time in the mouth
Pleasant, no burning or stinging, slightly warming, smoky / peaty, again the toasty flavors. Slight saltiness remaining in the mouth for longer, slightly sticky.
- very descent caol ila. I bought it for 40 euro , wich is an ok price for the quality you are getting. if i had to pay the full 60 euro i wouldn't have bought it.
Ash, Smoke, Lemon, Pepper. Has the typical Caol ila nose.
Tar, Ash, Smoke, Orange,Lemon. Very smooth in texture almost like white rum, probably due to the moscatel cask
Long dry smokey finish with mostly lemon flavors. At the very end you get a hint of the moscatel whine
- "The fourth vintage from Caol Ila`s Distiller`s Edition bottlings,
replacing the earlier 1996. This has been finished in Moscatel casks,
giving extra richness to the smoky whisky."
- Place: Hulshout Water Supply
dry, sherry-like, mild peat, almonds
mild peat, honey, toffee, a tad of fruitiness
long, nice n warm, woodfire-peat, mild spices
- Friendly, a little softer and a little less typical than a 12 years old classic. However, I preferred the DE 1995-2007.
Lack of punch. a peat more marine than earthy, dry. Charries aromas of potato and banana.
Fills the mouth well but aqueous texture. Dry peat, straw. A little medicinal character too, and a character strangely saltier than sweet.
Moderately intense but appreciable length. Smoke and bitter, on the red fruits (blackberry) at the end of the course.