91.45/100
WB196982
La Maison du Whisky (LMDW)
EX LIBRIS
Bottled for
Kirsch Import
23 nov 2021 1:32 pm by Malzbrenner

Whisky reviews for Knappogue Castle 1994 LMDW

6 users have left 6 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 91.45 points.

1. Olli aus Bielefeld scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

Ein unschlagbarer Ire der keine Vergleich scheuen braucht da er speziell, extravagant, ausgeglichen und trotzdem pregnant ist.

2. dongolzo81 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

3. Killswitch scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

4. aspa scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

BLIND TASTING

nose
    It also starts out very sweet here, but a bit tart and spicier than the Weisse Berg. The sweetness here comes more from honey and cane sugar, but fruits are also less tropical. More fudge, caramel and cake than fruit salad. I'm sure I'm making a fool of myself, but this also reminds me of Ben Nevis. A certain saltiness and something mineral can also be found here.
    The alcohol is well integrated, but the dram has power. The whole thing sounds very familiar to me. There is more oak, more old wood and generally more herbs and spices. It is almost more tart than sweet - although there is always a certain basic sweetness buzzing around. An extremely changeable dram, complex and changes the flavors almost every second. The spicy forest honey shows up on a lemon cake. The lemon cake becomes more dominant - sweet but also slightly sour and with a nice, juicy cake batter inside. Light sherry aromas, is there perhaps a refill sherry cask at work here?

taste
    Strong, mouth-filling, but still well integrated alcohol. Tart and spicy, meadow herbs, oak, vanilla, a carpenter's workshop. But with a party in the workshop and someone brought cinnamon, caramel, maple syrup and lemon cake. Suddenly a strong note of pear liqueur? This pulls itself then especially into the finish. Slight acidity on the palate, the pear is now also in the foreground. Suddenly also green tea. Extremely pleasant to drink and tasty, soft, creamy, but packed with aroma - almost like a concentrate or a syrup.

departure
    slightly tart, but above all really full of pear liqueur. Sweet, but also aromatic like a fresh pear, with limoncello. The green tea also comes out strongly after a minute, the finish is very long and very lively and complex. There is almost a dry layer on the palate and tongue, as if you have drunk the last sip of green tea. But also the pear aromas.

Conclusion
    Wow, a great whisky, but it's not easy for me to describe the aromas. I would have needed a larger sample to break down everything that's going on here - it's just too much and too complex and too much changes every second. Great, but difficult for blind notes to write it all down with little whisky.
    I also find that I remember Ben Nevis, certain Tomatin bottlings and maybe also certain Inchgowers here.
    The complexity also makes me think of at least 21 years in the barrel, and I feel a little more power here, I would assume a good 55% alcohol here. The cask is difficult, is there a slight touch of sherry somehow? or a re-charred & toasted ex-bourbon cask? Anything that adds extra cane sugar and caramel.

I can't really pinpoint myself, I'll stick with 21 years and 55%, and I say there's a certain amount of sherry, either refilled or mixed with other casks or something. distillery? yes, I really just have to guess - in the end I remember a Glen Keith very well because of the green tea - so let's say Glen Keith here - I think it has more to do with the aromas that came out of the barrel to do so that I could nail down anything really typical of distillery character.

N-92, T-91, F-93 for also great 92 points!

5. Anthaeus scored this whisky 93 points Expert Junior

A really great Irishman who comes along with really massive tropical fruit notes in an unprecedented clarity. Even my inexperienced whisky friends were able to identify the notes immediately and clearly: ripe banana, papaya, passion fruit on a very long finish that hardly seems to end. My best Irish guy so far.

6. daverdaz scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Whoever likes Irish whiskys will love this one. Very fruity, fresh, sweet, and a brutally good quality!

KVK: 60207205