Springbank 28-year-old

90.74/100
WB195922
Springbank Society
18.11.2021
sherry hhd and butt, bourbon brl, rum brl
Strength
21/178
12 Nov 2021 11:56 pm by Dris
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

£ 357.83

Whisky Reviews for Springbank 28-year-old

18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.74 points

1. Official tasting note

As always: we delete messages that are not a review of the bottle itself. Reviews and tasting notes are allowed. Price developments, investing, selling, buying or giving an opinion about what other people should do with a bottle don't belong on this page.

These discussions can take place in the groups or somewhere else but not at a Whiskybase bottle page. As we have seen this never leads to a proper discussion or people are not open for the idea that there are drinkers, collectors, investors and flippers and they all have their own right. We are also not setup too moderate these discussions on thousands of pages.

For now we leave the RRP message.

We also remove bottles that are being sold without actually having the bottle in your possession. Pre-sales not allowed.

Fake ratings, counter ratings (high and low) or ratings that are used to influence the score in a way that is not considered genuine will be looked and removed if needed. All is considered a violation of the general terms and will lead to the closure of the account.

2. jay83 scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

Believe me or not but I've just received the bottle and opened it for drinking. Crazy concept, I know... !!!! Definitely a nice combination of the different cask type expressions but it is still a little bit "nervous" (I expect it to increase in terms of complexity and balance with a few weeks of breathing). Lincolnimp already wrote all about the taste. I have to agree that it doesn't convince entirely if you take the price/performance ratio into consideration. Don't get me wrong. It is without any doubt really good whisky. But if you think of the 10 yo, 12 yo cs, 15 or 18 yo (even at the excessively increased prices) you get all you can expect from that fantastic distillery with no need of spending round about 400 Euros for one bottle of whisky.
    Addition:
    Tasted it today (2 days later) again after leaving it for 1 hour in the tasting glass. It really benefits from breathing! You get the impression that things have settled down. It get´s more structured and the complexity is also increasing as the subtle fruitiness. Therefore 2 points more. Really good whisky from that impeccable distillery but not worth ~180 Euros (incl. taxes etc.) for a 20cl bottle...

3. jf3dean did not rate this whisky Member Junior

DISTILLERY TASTING NOTES

Nose
    The nose has sweet characteristics of ripe tropical fruits, black forest gateau, and honey, nicely balanced with maple smoked bacon and applewood smoked cheese. An earthiness develops along with notes of old library books and kiln soot.

Palate
    The mouthfeel is velvety and smooth. There are hints of dark chocolate, rich dark fruits, marzipan and wholesome fruitcake. Subtle undertones of fennel and aniseed develop as well as delicious nutty flavours.

Finish
    Towards the end it evolves to become more salty and sweet. Caramel with a dusting of sea salt. Its complexity and maturity shine through as well as the typical Springbank coastal influence which you might expect from a 28 Year Old whisky, matured by the sea.

4. lincolnimp scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Ok a virgin tasting note on this springer.
    This is a tasty Springbank but , it lacks a bit of oomph at 48.2% and with a splash of water it is dulled to much so my advice is to keep it neat.
    If you had an equivalent bottle of 70cl it would cost £385, this is whisky is not worth even half that amount, if you are a drinker but probably considered cheap by many and a good call to do 20cl by the Springbank Society to gibve more people a chance to taste.
    This just lacks a little star quality for me and cannot get over 90 points so anywhere from 87-89 points average from me.
    i will re taste in a few days to see if the same but next another shot of Fettercairn 16 year WB 160539 which is also a mix of casks/finishes and I scored at 88 points average, is it better than this, lets see?
    Glad i got a half share of this bottle.
    Trying again, neat and with a splash of water and yes it is good but I stand by my comment about lacking a bit of sparkle, it runs out of steam too quick, nice flavours but you really are left thinking that this promised more that it delivered, still a good whisky.
    2nd edit
    The springer has more spice but not sure it is any better but 20cl £110 or 100cl Fettercairn 16 year for £88 puts things in perspective for me
      Quite a lot going on, pleasant is my first thought.
      Smells spicy, ginger, white pepper, nice orange note, lucozade, jaffa cakes hints of marshmallow (possibly), trace of peat, fruit cake and warm brioche buns mixed with marmalade.
    • Taste
      The mouthfeel is pretty good and the spice is there from the start which is pretty good.
      The spice of ginger & pepper subsides to give a mix or marmalade, chocolate, lucozade and pastry, the balance is good, nothing takes centre stage or overpowers.
      A juicy fruit note appears, black cherry, ripe plum, mixed with a little red berry but this fruit note is hard to pin down at the moment.
      While the balance and taste are good at 48.2% the power is muted, a little diluted and restrained which is a negative.
      On the one hand the spice and juicy dark orange note linger which is a big plus but the rest of the flavours fade a little too quickly for me

With water:-
      For once I am going to be specific about how much water I use so 8 small drops from a pipette
      The nose is not as expressive as when neat, the palate has got a little bitterness pushing the sweet fruit away, still ok just not as good.
      The finish retains the spice and orange note layered with chocolate and marmalade and matches the finish when neat, points wise.

5. Ro_Loe_10 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

RRP £110

6. Vallado scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Not sure if vatting the different barrels was the very best decision. I often like "simple" ripening more than vattings, something like that always nourishes the suspicion in me that something should be concealed. If that's true, it worked out well ;-) I don't recognize off-notes here. Unfortunately, I did not receive the tasting kit for the Online Tasting Week, I would have been interested in the shape of the individual kegs.

Generally strongly interwoven aromas, a real "direction" cannot be made out, there is something of everything. On a positive note, despite the wild barrel mix and the long storage time, the distillery character remains recognizable. Somehow a great dram, but I had hoped for a little more from "28yo Springbank". Notes only rudimentary, I just wanted to enjoy here:
      With a little standing time, great, complex aromas, fresher and less sweet than expected.
    • Taste
      Springbank says hello: citrus, lime and muff are there, that's good - the barrels didn't kill the distillate. Otherwise potpourri of almost every conceivable aroma, but also here more spicy than sweet, but by no means bitter wood (I tried Head 2 Head with the SB21 from 2020, which is much more wood-heavy for me).
      Medium long, here the sweetness develops more, otherwise something similar to the palate of everything, maritime, fruity, spicy, chocolaty, and I'm sure I forgot something ... Not bad ...

7. Shebeen scored this whisky 97 points Newbie

Opened this Society release with two close friends who have a love for all things Springbank to toast the coming festive period.

I am still a novice but learning to love the whiskies I have gathered in the past 24 months. I read tasting notes with an envy of those people who can extract huge amounts of smells and flavours from a dram. In my limited palate I am still in heaven and so blessed to have been lucky enough to get one of the 20cl bottles. I hope the Society keep to this model so more of us get the opportunity to enjoy the incredible flavours Springbank delivers to their fans,.
      The nose to me is sweet, hints of honey and faint lingering smoke.
    • Taste
      On the palate is is incredibly smooth considering its age. Toasted almost burnt caramel, spicy flavours which linger, the slightest hint of sweet sherry and smoky apple.
      The finish stays a good while, warm spices and seaweed.

8. Pinback scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

Tried this next to the lovely Springbank 21 2018. Both with some sweet rum and good bourbon. The 28 with extra sherry flavours. Give this delicate dram some time in your glas and the reward is yours! I had a great evening!

9. YoquieroWhisky scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

Unfortunately it was only a 200ml bottle. I enjoyed every single ml from this lovely Springbank. Compared to the official 25y bottling this 28y old Springbank is much more complex and sweet.

10. vlad78 scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

A very deep, layered and multifaceted whisky. Velveteen and silk, dark dried fruits, chocolate covered raisins.
      Dried prunes, grape marshmallow, dark chocolate with raisins and hazelnuts, dried, candied plum jam, baked sweet cake crust with candied fruits, thick tea leaves.
    • Taste
      Sweet, chocolate-plum, rich, viscous and thick, creamy. I would drink it like a Munchausen horse! I finished my set with this dram and by this time I had drunk some rather interesting whiskys, but even in this row it compares favorably with its density.
      Long, tart, silky, noble. After drinking this, you want to ride in the elevator for a long time and breathe on those around you.

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.