- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- 2nd Release
- Stated Age
- 23 years old
- Number of bottles
- 54.7 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- United States
- Added on
- 13 Dec 2010 10:09 am
42 × in wishlist
62 × member ratings
61 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg 1974 Provenance
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.25 points
- A great Ardbeg, golden barley peat, very elegant, the mouthfeel is intense.
- Smell: sweet smoky, spicy, honey, cinnamon, somehow Christmassy and strong, dark chocolate, camp fire smoke, because you can smell it only a whole evening.
Taste: without water, explosive on the tongue and in the nose, like a very young whisky, then warming. The whole mouth is filled with taste. You immediately taste the sweetness of chocolate and the smoke, no cold smoke as often with Caol Ila, but a warm smoke from a campfire, with a light chocolate bitterness. The spice notes that you could smell are no longer so present when tasting. With water, the explosiveness goes away, but there are no essential components added, you taste more bitter, but not too much, all embedded in sweetness and campfire smoke.
Finish: The flavors are preserved for a long time, the campfire smoke and the dark chocolate tastes even after 30 min.
Summary: Smell fantastic, taste great, but slight prints for lack of variety and complexity, such as barrel 2395, which for me is the best Ardbeg ever. No doubt but a great, intense, perfectly matured whisky, distilled in the best time of the distillery.
- Rich and creamy but dry on the tongue.
Sea air. Seaweed. Oak, rope, leather .
Huge flavour development . Malty , toffeeish, sweet, fruity.
Distinctly sappy, smoky, and very warming.
- This Whisky was sold for 2.455 € at Whiskyauction in March 2016
and for 1.664 € in Jan. 2015
- A very expensive, but a recommended Ardbeg.
Sweet and peaty, with fruits, apple, peach. Some beeswax
and leather, slightly medicinal tones and spices like nutmeg
in the background.
Smoky, peaty and creamy. A bit peppery. Lovely tones of dark
chocolate, fruits like apple, peach, tangerine and grapefruit.
And some spices appearing too.
Very long finish on smoke and peat, with the dark chocolate
and fruits still melting on the tongue.
- Expression: ProvenanceBatch: 2nd ReleaseVintage: 1974Bottled: 19 May, 1998Age: 23ABV: 54.7%Bottle Size: 750mlCask Type: BourbonNumber of Bottles: ~1000Bottle # Range: 401-500, 701-1000, 1401-2000Bottled for: USBox: Wooden Presentation BoxInsert/Booklet: Parchment: 9 April, 1998Front Label: Black; Bottle NumberBack Label: US Government WarningInitial Cost: 595 USDInfo from www.ardbegproject.com