81.67/100
WB19317
Single Malt Whiskey
French oak, port, sherry, bourbon barrels
Strength
28 Nov 2010 7:12 pm

Whisky Reviews for St. George Spirits Lot 6

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.67 points

1. man2392 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Tonight I've decided to crack open St George's Single Malt Whiskey Lot 6 which is 8 years of age. This bottle is a reminder not to just go for the hyped bottles at auction but also scrape the bottom of the bargain bin, I picked this up for the princely sum of £20.

Whilst I'm fairly familiar with the expressions of St George's of Norfolk, I'm not sure I've ever tried anything non juniper based from St George's of Alameda. In fact I don't think I've even tried American single malts outside of Balcones, FEW and Westland so I'm going in blind. These guys celebrated their 35th anniversary this year so are a juggernaut as far as craft distilling goes.

On the nose, I'm getting lemon meringue, elderflower cordial, tinned mandarins, white pepper, cardamom and varnished wood.

On the palate, elderflower and meadowsweet, rosehips and Victoria sponge. Surprisingly delicate, this is a summer's day in a glass- akin to a village fête or punting down the river.

On the finish, I'm tasting Piel de Sapo melon, the leftover meringue bowl when you lick the spoon and cacao nibs. Tasted blind I could easily mistake this for a Lowland style whiskey.

All in all an unexpected pleasure on this very cold wet windy Tier 4 Day. Now I just need to keep an eye out for a more recent batch.