87.97/100
Twj-L-1999
Strength
27 Sep 2021 10:43 pm by thewhiskyjury

Whisky Reviews for Shh... ecret Islay 1999 TWJ

10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.97 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Requiem for a Dr(e)am

'A 21-year-old peater', as The Whisky Jury describes it, but he keeps the distillery where this good dram comes from a secret. The only hint is in the barrel number: #Twj-L-1999. The L refers to one of the two distilleries which name begins with this letter. You have a 50% chance. And again a lovely bit of tongue-in-cheek humor on the label, because this one is called 'Shh... ecret Islay'. I love that. Very pale, though.

Herbal, ashy, dirty, maritime, round and creamy on notes of banana, vanilla and white chocolate right in front of sea salt, wet earth and moss. Lightly medicinal and heavily inviting.

Surprisingly soft on the tongue despite the sturdy ABV. Perfect continuation of the nose, with the emphasis on creamy banana and sweet and sour peat. Again, quite a bit of vanilla. Very sweet, though. Beautiful smoke that turns your mouth completely warm. I imagine myself by a bonfire on the beach and breathe a sigh of pleasure.

The medium-long finish is sweet, spicy and smoky.

Laphroaig or Lagavulin? Who knows? I tend towards the former, but what do I know? Coincidentally, I was listening to the soundtrack of Lux Aeterna for the 2001 dram Requiem for a Dream when I tasted this dram. A perfect match!

2. Lcluy scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

3. Banzai scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

4. OJK scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Enveloping and viscous with a good balance of iodine and citrus, but overall slightly unbalanced and hot. Still very enjoyable.

5. Rodrigue1975 scored this whisky 94 points Expert Junior

On the nose, a one-way ticket to Islay! We find ourselves on the windy moor with heather, a little saline side and a beautiful ash.
    This camphor and lemony side, with pretty notes of fish oil, wow really superb ????.
    The nose 10 - 15 centimeters from the glass and the scents come to caress and put all my senses on alert, until my taste buds are activated.

First sips, I find a little very dry hay side, then we have the attack of peat and a really very fine and a little "sticky" ash, it becomes maritime with touches of seaweed, salinity.
    I love this medicinal and camphoric side, with wet earth. It's round, creamy and smooth, superbly integrated alcohol, it warms up but it's very sweet.

The finish is smoky, slightly vanilla and spicy heather honey.

Very sharp, no fuss, just the beauty of the distillate.
    And this sweetness, it's really surprising, you feel a certain power while mastering it, it's warm, but the beauty of the distillate can really express itself.
    I am conquered.

6. TomP scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

7. jazza scored this whisky 88 points Member Senior

This one is simple but enjoyable.

Quiet fruity and greedy with a nice maritime peat on the nose.

Then on the mouth the texture is really creamy but the taste is quiet simple and on only one way, with some fruits.

The finish is too short and even simpler.

For this age and for this beautiful releases quintet by the TWJ at the same time, it's a bit surprising to have this only one so far from the others in terms of quality.

We could really expect more for a 21yo Laph.

Sorry crazy speculators here, we won't help you this time. But keep going, i propose you 500 if you want !

8. Beiredelarue scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

I had a chance to buy it for the release price, but something held me back, leaving me in doubt. Maybe it wasn't the right time for me. Very tasty, after all. Fortunately, samples exist! Judging by the nose, I was adamant that it was Lagavulin at first, but the taste and aftertaste make me doubt Laphroaig. But hey, that's what makes it so much fun, isn't it?
      Maritime, slightly spicy, sweet, slightly medicinal, plasticine, sweet keys and of course the smoke
    • Taste
      Taste follows the nose, but the smoke is more dominant and the complexity of the nose disappears somewhat. Nice alcohol integration. I find him surprisingly young for his age. Had I not known his age, I would have estimated him younger.
      Long and sweet. The tones that were in the nose come back nicely.

9. kofima scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

10. JNuyts scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

• Taste

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.