78.18/100
Strength
L2113
19 sep 2021 8:42 pm by Dagobert

Whisky reviews for Eddu Silver

6 users have left 6 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 78.18 points.

1. Dagobert scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 6 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. Gerraym scored this whisky 68 points Newbie

Drank with titi and sylvain. Not really a fan of the cereal side very marked by buckwheat.
      Alcohol and cereal very present

4. Archer scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

A 'Whisky pur blé noir', not a single malt, but a kind of single "grain" made from 100% buckwheat. 5 years, ex-Cognac Cask (like practically all bottlings from the distillery).
    If I had only had one sample available, I probably wouldn't have done the whiskey justice, because as I found out when I emptied a bottle, it was only after the first third of the bottle that I realized that this wasn't a high-flyer, but it was a is really more than a respectably made and fine drop, considering that it was not made from barley but from buckwheat. A new whiskey taste experience.
      A fruity note of tangerines, grapefruit and kiwi. lime slices. Fresh bread dough with a dark crust.
    • Taste
      Soft and creamy attack that quickly leads into notes of crispy bread crust, vanilla, honey and lime. Dry wood, grated nutmeg, white pepper. Beautiful interplay between fruit and spice, the bread crust as a faithful companion in the background.
      Medium length and dry, lime juice, grapefruit, dark bread crust, dry wood.

5. _Mak_ scored this whisky 65 points Expert Junior

Just buckwheat in nose and taste...

6. markjedi1 scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

Apples
    I confess, when I first tasted Eddu a few years ago, I wasn't crazy about it. But I think I didn't understand the whisky very well. For example, I completely ignored the fact that it is distilled from buckwheat and is therefore a single grain and then a very special one at that. Last year I was introduced to Eddu again and look, I was enchanted. I enjoyed the Brocéliande enormously. So I thought it was high time to try the (new release) of the Silver and the Gold. We start with the Eddu Silver. It matured in casks that used to have cognac in them.
    It's a bit candy-like and reminds me somewhat of apple cider. It transports me back to that holiday in Brittany where I visited the Musée de Cidre at the time. I also get some vanilla and something that reminds me of olive oil for a moment. Brioche and coconut complete the picture.
    On the palate I first taste some pepper, then the buckwheat and finally a lot of apples. Apple juice on steroids, so to speak. Some star anise and lychee appear. Where I still got some rose water with older bottlings, that off-note has now completely disappeared. Hurrah!
    The finish is surprisingly long and very sweet. Again apples, always those apples.
    A unique taste experience. Overactive cognac barrels, perhaps? Nothing but apples. Not a belter like the Scots squeeze them out of their stills, but a fine grain nonetheless. Interesting and amusing.

7. brechtvds scored this whisky 60 points Expert Senior

i got a sample from this because i was part of the Cinoco New Arrivals Masterclass on 12/4 (but forgot to rate this whisky )

the whole buckwheat whisky thing tasted like absolute sh*t if something is good why change it ? what's next ? making whisky from alfalfa or Quinoa?

the initial arrival was actually pretty good ,white fruit some vanilla and a slight hint of coconut but that aftertaste is unbearable it's like licking the inside of a potstill that had been left in a grain field for 2years ,

it's not about not liking the buckweed flavor this review is based on the pure low quality of this stuff and it only sells because people haven't seen buckweed whisky before

KVK: 60207205