61 × in wishlist
39 × member ratings
87 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 1996 DRFS
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.62 points
- Peaches, exotic fruits with lots of passion fruit, some pears, waxy honey. Everything you need in a summer whisky.
- Those who love the typical fresh character of the 1996 bottling will enjoy this one. An incredibly fruity and fresh Ben Nevis with passion fruit and peach notes. Followed by wood and a pleasant note of vanilla and honey.
Ben Nevis 24 yo 1996 (45,6%, Wu Dram Clan 2021, hogshead #1408, 290 btl.)
Nose: a generous, ripe fruitiness full of exotic touches. Pineapples, guavas, lime, mango. Lychee as well. Hints of buttery pastry, wildflowers, some wax candles and a whiff of leather. Pretty direct, pretty sexy too.
Mouth: a perfect fruit basket à la Bowmore, full of pineapple, pink grapefruit, guava, mango, with hints of passion fruits. Oily notes, paraffin. Floral honey and a hint of verbena. Some chalky / mineral notes in the background, but the fruits are in pole position.
Finish: long, with some green notes and menthol creeping in, but still plenty of these luscious tropical fruits.
We already knew 1996 is a year of fruit juice for this distillery, but we’re still in awe when we get such a pure example. Brilliant whisky in my opinion and it’s good to see a few casks are still around.
- Fruit bomb, no missing notes, very tasty.
- Very fruity, mango, overripe peaches, apples / pears, oranges, some liquorice and marzipan. Subtle waxy notes, white pepper, lychee. Very slight "fruity" bitterness on the palate, like grapefruit.
- It's great that there are still barrels from this great vintage. Before tasting, I was curious whether the bottling could keep up with my personal benchmarks from TheWhiskyJury.
and it can!
I would recommend everyone to sniff the whisky in a glass with a larger opening (e.g. wine glass).
The great tropical fruits come out much better from the Riedel Vinum Tasting Glass than, for example, from a Glencairn or the 1920s Blenders Glass.
Tropical fruit mix with pineapple and passion fruit, mango, unfree banana, wax (from the Riedel actually 92P ..)
Passion fruit, pineapple, but the combination is a little less ripe than on the nose, alcohol noticeable, but tingling pleasantly
long, oil, waxy, green banana and unripe pineapple, some vanilla