- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Private Collection
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- American White Oak + PX Sherry Finish
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- PX L9 335 6ML
- Added on
- 11 Oct 2010 8:45 pm
79 × in wishlist
176 × member ratings
559 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX
28 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.59 points
Great whisky and, at a tasting, also easy to drink as a dessert after barrel strength
- Tasted with Quinta Ruban and 18, this one won
- Jim Murray has awarded 96.5 points to the Sonnalta PX. "Remains a giant among the tall stills: A mesmeric whisky..."
- Not bad but waaay too sweet for me ... it does work as a liquid dessert ...
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
An incredibly rum-like aroma! Semi dried fruits, honey sweetness, great
complexity. An extra dimension develops, offering rye spices.
The sherry is very well balanced, and at no point over-steps the mark.
Instead Sonnalta wallows in the gloriously fruity territory of well-aged
rum and tropical fruits. Feinty tobacco and calves' leather. Just
incredible, and incredibly thick and viscous.
Finish: A spectacular finish of maraschino cherries and cocoa, a touch more sherry now. Very long.
- A big whisky that swings between spices and sweets. The oak always resonates in the background. The best bottling of the Private Collection.
First sweet notes of vanilla and marzipan are noticeable. This is followed by fruity aromas of wild berries, cherries and ripe grapes. Finally, I smell clear oak notes. Is there a hint of beech smoke?
After the spicy notes of pepper and coriander, the sherry sweetness and roasted almonds dominate. Even now, the barrel is, in a pleasant way, to taste clear.
The finish is medium in length with hints of cinnamon, overripe orange and oak.