80.88/100
Spanish Whisky Club (SWC)
Single Cask Edition
Market
de Germany
08 jun 2021 6:30 pm by SIEBERTS WHISKYWELT

Whisky Reviews for Liber 10-year-old SWC

12 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 80.88 points

1. JuerKai scored this whisky 70 points Expert Senior

Fortunately only got it as a 2cl sample.

This is how I imagine the taste of the sewage in the sewer system when it rains shortly after New Year's Eve and all the black powder is flushed out of the firecrackers.
    The taste of this distillate doesn't suit me at all and is far from the Scottish tastes that I enjoy so much. To be honest, I am also amazed how the whisky got such high ratings, as I cannot imagine that this taste will be liked by everyone.
    Anyway ... who still enjoy tasting it, I will not shorten the brand any further :-)

Addendum: smelled the glass again the next day and my impression was confirmed. Sulfur and burnt black powder pull in my nose, I don't like this form very pleasant, smells almost a bit harmful to my health.
      The nose (undiluted) is rather restrained and not that wrong at all. At this point in time you don't notice the notes that I will find in the taste later.
    • Taste
      Hui, it's not mine. How do you describe a whisky that doesn't appeal to you at all ... bitter, sulphurous. It is uncomfortable to rinse it in the mouth and thus to distribute the taste even more, whereby the alcohol does not have a disturbing effect despite the high percentage.
      When the penetrant taste has subsided and you wait a minute until the mouth has acclimatized a bit, there are a few more notes that don't taste as strictly chemical anymore ... but that doesn't make the whisky really good.

Sorry but I don't get warm with him.

2. Mannix65 scored this whisky 78 points Connoisseur

Not drinkable without water - the nose is still quite pleasant, but in the mouth it behaves completely unbalanced and uncomfortable - the longer it stands in the glass, the more the missing notes pop up - a shame
      Roasted grain, burnt matches, dark malt, fruity sherry, currants and raspberries - after a long standing period, sulfur predominates
    • Taste
      Too hot to drink without water - burnt gum and sour sulfur, sweet and bitter grape pomace, a lot of wood adds astringent
      only the bitterness lingers in the throat for a long time

3. Whiskyraute scored this whisky 70 points Member Senior

I can only confirm the impressions of the reviews, which are around 70 points here. From my personal point of view, neither the distillate nor the extensively advertised old PX keg fit here. The same applies to barrel no. 28. To be honest, the partly positive reviews leave me at a loss. I haven't finished my 5cl sample. That means something ...

4. Dottore scored this whisky 75 points Expert Senior

As with Liquid Madness, pronounced sulfur note. The poorly integrated alcohol also bothers me here. That was nothing.

5. gallfux did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Sulfur. With liquorice. Additionally red fruits tossed in butter. A few Mediterranean herbs. Young-looking citrus notes.

It was interesting to have tried it. But I don't need it again.

6. Drk Neknul scored this whisky 79 points Expert Senior

So far I have associated liber with sulphur. The casks used may be old and therefore expensive, but unfortunately they are not perfect. Unfortunately, the combination with the unexpectedly strong alcohol doesn't help either. Together, the bushel and the biting alcohol push the other, beautiful sherry aromas into the background. With water you take away the excessive sharpness of the alcohol, so far so good, but then I feel the floating sulfur even more intensely and the malt as a whole… more difficult. Brimstone disciples should be excited! Exciting, if rather strange, experience that leaves me a little perplexed.

More Notes & Reviews on Facebook at: #Maltkanzlei

7. ThorstenH scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

Yes, sherry, from an old wet cellar. Very spicy, not really mine.

8. SteveGo scored this whisky 70 points Member Senior

The second Liber could not convince me at all ... there is nothing to add to the other reviews

9. jesper85 scored this whisky 70 points Expert Senior

Had relatively high expectations, because the hope was on a good barrel. Unfortunately for me personally very out of round, tastes like spicy medicine ... Unfortunately, the PX keg doesn't really come through
    It's a shame - but not my case

10. Maik76 scored this whisky 68 points Member Senior

There are worse whiskys (but not many).
      Subtle, in the background some sulfur, coffee notes and glue.
    • Taste
      Wow, I didn't expect that.
      Some German distilleries are going in a similar direction.
      Shortly. Unfortunately not short enough

11. BuiltForSin scored this whisky 70 points Member Senior

If you don't have anything positive to say, it's better to leave it alone, but only so much: They didn't meet my taste at all.

That is why it is difficult for me personally to understand the almost exaggeratedly good ratings. Either this is really a "love it or hate it" part or there are dealers who try to get rid of their stocks for better or for worse. In any case, it is advisable to get a sample in advance.

12. rolabob scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

• Taste

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.