- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Springbank Society
- Stated Age
- 08 years old
- Fresh Oloroso Sherry Hogsheads
- Number of bottles
- 57.3 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 04 Jun 2021 4:25 pm by Dris
59 × in wishlist
71 × member ratings
436 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Springbank 2012
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.37 points
- Such a shame people are dumping this trying to make a profit. Genuinely irritated for all the people like myself just trying to buy a bottle but cant because of these people
- This whisky was sold for 55£ in June 2021 by a ballot for Springbank Society members.
- A beautiful, flawless, so to speak modern and still quite young Oloroso sherry bottling. Cinnamon orange marzipan, plum compote with rum, brown sugar, salty caramel. The Campbeltown character is still clearly recognizable. Very tasty, but also a bit young and impetuous. No sulfur. Well done but not a 90+ whisky.
I don't want to comment on the fact that a society bottle that is explicitly bottled for fans and sold individually via an elaborate lottery procedure is offered several times at a multiple issue price.
- Nose: whiff of peat, varnish, Jamaican ginger cake, herbal, sandalwood, the ethanol is quite prominent on the nostrils
Mouth: hot and thick, more ginger cake and varnish, slight acrid note a little like burnt plastic.
This is hot without water and pretty blunt really, the distillate has been blasted to hell.
Water softens it and dissipates the acrid note and releases a lot more fruity notes. Transformative!
To conclude: without water I don’t like this, with water it’s ok, tolerable with some redeeming features. A plea to Mitchell’s…no more first fill sherry or bonkers sherry finishes. You’ve beaten us to death with a sherry drenched stave.
- Nice well balanced Springbank. Nose is red twizzlers, prune juice, red berries and cinnamon. Palate gives more of the same with the Springbank funk. Finishes nicely but seems more like a sherried Hazelburn than a Springbank overall.
- Too much wood, too much sherry, too little springbank.