Bowmore Tempest

700 ml 750 ml
17 Oct 2010 12:31 pm
ColoredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Bowmore Tempest

24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.75 points

1. Gloin scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

The nose is complex, the light smoke brings additional tension, I like that. It's rarely the case, but with this whisky, the mouth is thickened, even though it basically repeats everything the nose has already promised. The finish completes the picture in a wonderful way. A very good, complex, exciting and very tasty whisky.
    blind tasting
      light, restrained smoke, some vanilla, yellow apple, behind it a little lemon, spicy, oak, a little delayed peach and a hint of apricot, resin, a little honey
    • Taste
      Strong onset, again immediately gentle smoke, apricot and peach, honey, malt, sweet, tender oak notes, in the second sip, add some herbs and slightly bitter apple peel
      In my head the image of a burnt wooden board, which lies on the beach of the North Sea, comes back to the peaches, the apples and apricots, but in the background as before in the mouth and nose, oak and smoke dominate in the finish.

[November, 2011]  I had this dram during a Prof. Schobert "Islay" tasting at Bonn.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5.  My notes state a nice fruity and peaty profile with a rich body.  But I liked the first edition (Batch No. 1) a little better...

3. Tom na Gruagaich scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

fine whisky that makes Bowmore recognizable but does not have to. Unfortunately not quite so "on line" and honestly not a replacement for the old CS.
      Sweet and clean, a little reserved, vanilla, resin and hints of fruit, peat, definitely also Bowmorean interpretations, but not nearly as direct as the old CS.
    • Taste
      Very peaty, a lot of vanilla, also felt fresh wood, a few sawdust, slightly musty peat, some ashes.
      a little "Bowmore", otherwise rather peat, vanilla, smoke, minimal herbaceous, some fruit and unfortunately quite fast away.

4. Jorennuyts scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

5. Arquebus scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Bowmore is my least known Islay Malt. I've tried some of the entry level malts and we really haven't hit it off. Older Bowmore's have a huge following, I know - but I confess I'm a little lost with this distillery - despite visiting it many times. I bought this one on JM's Recommendation(93/100) and I was not disappointed. There's a really fresh smokiness - unlike its more phenolic neighbours. The peat doesn't hide the rest of whats going on - so it adds up to a complex interesting Malt - reminded me of some Taliskers.

Seaside brininess, molasses, brown sugar, sherry, touch of oak spice and bonfires on a beach... (2014)

Well worth a punt. I have another one tucked away - So perhaps I'll update my notes when I retry.

90pts from me!

6. spigray scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

7. spigray scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

a very good bowmore, better than I remembered it (84) § points up, so: 87/100
      a straightforward, spirit driven bowmore nose with no sherry influence. gentle peat smoke, lemons, a little brine and faint oak. perhaps hints of olives and hints of vanilla. sunflower oil.
    • Taste
      earthier and more bowmore-ish on the palate.
      lots of smoky lemons, salt, ashes. almost a little springbanky!
      medium to long, dry.

8. domani scored this whisky 73 points Expert Senior

With Bowmore, I'm absolutely not warm, the alcoholic strength is too dominant to me, partially drowned the smoke and is sometimes uncomfortable - 24.03.2017
      Light smoke, alcoholic and for me typical Bowmore, white chocolate, rice waffles, with water, it opens a little and the alcoholic strength fades, citrus fruits come through reinforced
    • Taste
      Light burn, smoky, nut aromas, vanilla, bitterness, dark chocolate, cocoa, as fruit only the lemon remains
      Short

9. jankes scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

10. Waykid scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Rather nervous in initial character but rewarding once you got the water right. A pretty heavy hitter, really intensive in comparison to the distilleries tender contemporary normal line. And good stuff indeed.