- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Feis Ile 2021
- Stated Age
- 13 years old
- American Oak / High Char Port Finish
- Number of bottles
- 56.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 26 May 2021 3:02 pm by Tauti
52 × in wishlist
72 × member ratings
271 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 13-year-old
21 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.46 points
- So the pictures on the Diageo site are completely far removed from reality. The Lagavulin is very light and looks more like a 2nd fill Bourbon Cask. In the picture it looks extremely dark. Otherwise you get what you expect in terms of taste. Peat bomb hits from sweet port. Not a bad malt, but rather disappointing for a Feis bottling at the price. Lagavulin can do better than that ...
Sugary green and yellow fruits on the top, green grapes, sweetcorn, carrots. Rich Hami melon, it could only get richer later on. Honey, surrounded by a thin layer of BBQ smoke from sweet vegetables (onions, carrots etc). Fruit aroma started getting more refreshing. Sweet oranges with fruit fiber. Seaweed and smelled coastal. Mandarin oranges. Dirty citrus from the emptied glass.
Quick and light apple juice, then covered by toffee and cheap chocolate with citrus zest. Beetroot and seaweed. Sweet hay together with some ash from lightly burnt plastic. Tannin and dirt-like bitterness.
Bitter dirt carried forward. Dried orange peel, hay, maple syrup. Eventually left with cinnamon that lasted quite long, and a hint of creamy chocolate aftertaste.
- Port and Rauch is my favorite combination and so the anticipation was great, it suits me, expectations fully met, super tasty, intense, no wrong notes, if only the price and Brexit weren't there ;-)
Sweet pale cherry, a bit like cherry chewing gum, with a subtle nice wood fire smoke, over everything lies sweetness, dark chocolate, warmed up it becomes creamier, the chocolate is lighter, slightly spicy, pepper, and now clearly espresso, coffee beans, seldom so clearly in the Had a nose, the smoke supplements, but only plays second fiddle, after the first sip there is also some mint in the nose
Chocolatey, oily, cherry, power, coffee, slight acidity, then there is clear smoke, a little lemon, great, great mouthfeel, the port influence is there, but not superimposed, slight tingling, a pinch of salt
The whole mouth is still full of chocolate, slightly dark, sweetness on the palate, a little mint is added, the cherries flash again briefly, pleasant, medium-long
- Worst Lagavulin Feis Ile ever!
Apart from the price, the marketing was knitting here without end.
All published images of the bottle show a ripe and colored whisky. Reality looks like Spirit ...
In terms of taste, he can offer NOTHING ...
- A very good Lagavulin for its age, the port is present but not overshadowing. Nice bottling.
Thick fruity billows of smoke. Above average fruity for Lagavulin. I don't think I would have blindly assigned that port. Interesting combination.
A nicely composed combination of the heavy Laga smoky note with dark fruits, but nothing stands out here. Well done!
Rather short, because the comparatively young age comes through. Too bad, could have torn even more with more finish.
- Quite balanced and drinkable
Fresh, citric, little vanilla, iodine, little medicinal, fine peat and smoke, honey, yellow fruits, cookie dough, hints of candy, marshmallows - not bad
Oily, creamy, good sweetness, more citric, honey, vanilla, peat, smoke, salty, minerals, yellow fruits, ripe banana, wet hay
Medium long, warm
- "finished in port seasoned American oak" is all you need to know. In any case, "finished in port seasoned ..." has nothing to do with any kind of maturation. Pimp up my whisky !!
- Lagavulin 13 Year Old Feis Ile, bottle no 2294.
At Melody, Hammersmith, July 2021.
Hmm. Aroma is pink marshmallow and pink mice sweets mixed up with burnt biscuits and smoke, the typically bourbon-influenced Lagavulin is sort of bastardised with candy floss.
Taste is similar - quite ‘candied’, pink mice, raspberry dark chocolate, lingering smoke, very nice potent smoke but the finishing cask is just spoiling this really. Such a shame because the underlying whisky seems very pleasant – I’d say this was almost certainly better before they put it in the finishing cask. 3.4/81
- sweet creamy peat, honey, citrus, very balanced, not too complex but very nice