Bunnahabhain 2001

Strength
17 May 2021 8:33 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 2001

3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.70 points

1. whiskybommel scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

Unfortunately quite disappointing I have to say...
    Very modern style and quite alcohol-driven altogether.

Firstly, I have much higher expectations when it comes to Feis Ile bottlings (no matter if it's a Virtual Feis or not) and secondly, the value for money ratio is not really the best, considering that this whisky is 19 years old and costs 199£...

The nose felt really sour with notes of vinegar and overly ripe and sour fruits like orange and grapefruit. Additionally I found hints of nuts with a light sweetness and really bad, wet, rotten (almost mouldy) wood.

The palate is very dry and alcohol forward. I had to add some drops of water directly after the first sip - that helped! There is a light sweetness with loads of dry wood. I also found some orange-chocolate with some light leather and some dark cherries. Altogether a bit one-dimensional and not too complex - but definitely better than the nose!

The finish is again dry and quite spicy. It is medium-long with slight hints of leather and some metallic notes but altogether not very complex, too.

Well, I have commented on the the overall impression in the beginning and am left a bit disillusioned because, for me, Feis Ile has always been a term signifying wonderful quality... 84 points from me for this Bunnahabhain Feis Ile 2021, Marsala finish.
    • Taste

2. Ocko_tom_Brook scored this whisky 92 points Member Junior

An initially cautious, but actually very varied and profound malt, which I like to add to my favorites - for me it was very successful - slàinte mhath!
      At first quite subtle, it increasingly develops a bouquet of aromas that remind me of vanilla-intensive dark rum from Mauritius, even a bit of bananas! Thoughts of dried apricots, berry selection, a heavy dark port and a little tobacco force my mind. It is much more complex than initially thought - wonderfully multi-layered and profound!
    • Taste
      At first I feel overwhelmed by a heavy, oily consistency with a pronounced sherry sweetness, a tingling sensation that increases to a pronounced pepperiness and at first my tongue is a bit numb. In terms of weight, it can take a few drops of water: the sweetness remains, the sherry too. Vanilla, a light nuttiness and a little oak are added, but finally also a little more pepper and, in my opinion, a touch of salt. With a few drops of water, I find it very tasty and varied! For me already an outstanding malt!
      In the finish it retains the sherry sweetness, but oak and pepper also reverberate. A full, oily mouthfeel rounds off a special malt that I will enjoy with pleasure and more often!

3. Hemdl scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Like the younger offshoot of this year's "virtual" Feis Ile a certain disappointment.
    Neither of them are bad malts per se, but you could hide them in every tasting under 4-5 bottlings from other bottlers and nobody would find them. No finesse, no class, no unique selling point. The latter is (once again) only reflected in the price.
    It's a shame, Bunnahabhain. You can definitely do better.