Brora 1972

Label
Part of a 3x50cl. Box Set
29 Apr 2021 11:18 pm by blacknapkins

Whisky Reviews for Brora 1972

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 95.75 points

1. decadentto scored this whisky 96 points Expert Junior

Well, what can I say - an uber-peaty Brora with farmy notes, burned rubber, tar, oysters, clean citrus. One of the best whiskies I have ever tried.

2. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Some tropical notes on the nose but more on yellow fruits, almost some engine oil minerality, then farmy peat, way less peaty than I expected actually, and costal notes iodine seaweed, herbal tea, hint of tobacco, amazing complexity, excellent.

3. whiskytj scored this whisky 98 points Member Senior

Perfection

4. markjedi1 scored this whisky 95 points Connoisseur

Triptych

To celebrate the reopening of the legendary Brora distillery, Diageo launches a very exclusive set with three historical malts. On the 19th of May 2021 the first cask with new spirit was laid down – a year later than plannen, but we all know the culprit. The reopening was celebrated in style with this Brora Triptich, a very exclusive set – limited to 300 worldwide – with three bottles of 50cl with the golden liquid, i.e. a 48 years old Elusive Legacy from 1972, a 43 years old Age of Peat from 1977 and a 38 years old Timeless Original from 1982. They each represent a milestone in the distillery’s history. Unfortunately I would need to take out another mortgage on my house to be able to afford a set, for it retails at around £30.000 (35.000 EUR), Brexit shenanigans not included. But next to the historical liquid you also get a personal invitation to the distillery for an exclusive tour in the restored distillery. I was fortunate to be able to try these three exceptional malts. We’ll try them from young (for lack of a better word) to old.

Brora 38 Year Old 1982 Timeless Original

The youngest (ha!) in the set is a vatting of malts from the final production year, when Brora started producing a traditional light peated malt again.

The nose is wonderfully fruity, almost tropical and at first reminds me of Clynelish on steroids. Peach apricots, lemongrass, orange zest, ripe gooseberries, mint, cinnamon, hint of leather and honey, soft garden herbs and tea. Nicely waxy. Complex? The word was invented for this nose.

Surprisingly sturdy arrival, I must say. Again very waxy and fruity. It turns quite tropical now on peach and apricots that slowly go down the dried road. But also beautiful – almost typical – citrus notes like yuzu. Excellent. And yes, there is some peat to be discovered, albeit very subtle.

Long, sweet and very creamy finish.

Grand Clyneli… sorry – Brora!

91/100

Brora 43 year Old 1977 Age of Peat

This is a vatting of malts from 1977 (the year in which Star Wars appeared on the silver screen and I spent weeks in the cinema as a 7 year old, but I digress). The name says is all: this is a Brora from the period in which they produced heavily peated malt to keep up with the blender’s demand.

Oh, now that’s completely different on the nose. It starts with plasticine and paint – the good kind – before lots of leather, tea, beeswax and lemongrass kick in. Lovely earthy notes – the ‘matured away’ peat? – upholstered with parsley and something that reminds me of pine cones and almonds. Origin chocolate? Cold ashes, hay, menthol and a midly salty note. Boy, oh boy, this is very good!

On the palate it’s an explosion of taste. Very layered and elegant. Beeswax, pineapple, apples covered with a midly smoky blanket. Warm. Cinnamon and tea leaves. Lots of earthy notes. Lightly drying and heavenly. Words are insufficient to describe the beauty.

Long, subtle, almost delicate finish on earthy notes and absolutely great.

This Brora is very sexy. I’m completely blown away.

93/100

Brora 48 Year Old 1972 Elusive Legacy

This 48 years old is the oldest Brora ever bottled. Moreover, not much was distilled this distillery in 1972. A unique moment in a unique moment, if you know what I mean.

OMFG! This is flabbergasting. On the one hand again those typical tropical notes with pineapple and citrus fruit (bergamot), on the other some hay and stable scents. Excellent! And than a grand maritime note. Yes, a salty note that reminds me of lobster – I kid you not! Ship’s ropes versus Oil of Olay. Wellington boots versus fresh mint. Parsley versus seaweeds. Complex ad infinitum.

Wonderfully old school – who am I kidding, this is old school of course. Soft notes of apple and herbal tea, very herbal indeed and again that saltiness that really pleases me. Chewing tobacco with mint. Less waxy than it’s predessors (no, that should be succesors, right?), but still nicely creamy and softly spicy. It keeps on giving, if you know what I mean. Unprecedented for me.

The subtle finish is nicely warm, very minty and creamy and makes me realise I’ve just tried one of the best whisky’s ever. I’m dumbfounded.

And thus my personal top ten is shaken up again, for this one climbs straight to second place (ex aequo with the Port Ellen 39 Year Old 1978 Untold Stories).

95/100

My god! What an absolute privilege to have been able to try these malts. Unaffordable (to me) and legendary, tasted in good company on a sunny terrace. All these elements combined created an unparalelled experience. And yes, this whisky is grand. Words simply are not enough. Just like the balance on my savings account.