88.00/100
Strength
17 Sep 2010 8:36 pm

1 member rating

Whisky Reviews for Dailuaine 1980 McC

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.00 points

[October, 2015]  Quite a while ago since I had my last Dailuaine, so it was a short decision time to crack it open when I found this bottle in my cellar today...

The nose starts a little bit spirity (no wonder given the 55,2% vol.), but then some beautiful floral notes develop.  The typical grassy aromas profile confirmes that this is a spirit that almost exclusively is used in blends (besides the heavily sherried Flora & Fauna bottlings).  Additional aromas include spices (vanilla, pepper), sugars and wood.  The first arrival on the palate is quite mighty and provides a full, coating mouthfeel.  This is a fantastic oily body (that's what blenders like, too) with lots of sugars and  peppers again, and even a little bit of salt (how come in a Speysider?).  At the first sip there was a lot of oak, but from the second on this is gone and the oak provides just the right structure and balance.  The finish is long and repeats all the nice impressions from the mouthtaste, it is just a little bit drying at the very end (but not too unpleasantly).

All in all a very fine dram to drink and a good example of the high quality Dailuaine is able to produce.  It has a lot of "oompf" - if you like this floral/grassy/oily profile.  I do for sure...

PS:  Water releases more sugary aromas in the nose and makes the whisky more pleasantly on the palate, but I like the rough neat profile better.
    • Taste

[November, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 020 that I bought for 84 Euro in October, 2013.

[November, 2015]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 023 that I bought for 84 Euro in October, 2013.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5.  Please see detailed review below.